KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2008 RC8 once again my waterpump seal has started to fail, however ive only covered 5k miles since costing me £400 for the privalige. seems very quick for it to fail again, this is all with casual road riding too and no sight of a track at all.

i know it shouldnt have failed so quickly, and for such light work. anyone know if theres a better option for an aftermarket alternative. or maybe a retrofit of a newer version? ideally i dont wnat to have to repeat this every 5k or less miles.

nearly hitting 30k so a major service is due, will likley get this done at the same time. and perhaps some new cam chain tensioners while im there.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Were the bearings changed at the same time?
How many water pump seals has that engine had so far?

I vaguely remember reading about someone who had an issue with water pump seal failures and it turned out to be a misalignment somewhere, so the impeller shaft wasn't running true. I'm not suggesting that is your problem but if your pump is known to eat seals then it something to think about.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were the bearings changed at the same time?
How many water pump seals has that engine had so far?
as far as i know, the garage replaced the whole lot (unsure about the bearings) and from owning it since 15k miles this will be the second one thats failed, the last one survived over 10k so it could be that the garage screwed up a little.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeh, they could have nicked the seal as it's easy to do.
The new seal could have been a bad one as I have seen pictures where one crumbled within 500 miles.
Also if the bearings weren't changed then maybe they should have been, that adds more time to the job as you have to oven the casing to release and then fit the new bearings. If you don't bake it you can damage the casing.

I did mine on my 990 and it was very noticeable how much less play there was in the water pump shaft once the new beings and seal was in, compared to the old ones. I think that was mainly down to the new bearings being tighter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had mine done a few years ago and it went again literally a month later.

Turns out there was some corrosion on the seat of the housing for the seal, which was causing it to leak. Updated part in and no problems since

1 - 5 of 5 Posts