KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told yesterday that he is closing down, I had a look on the KTM UK website & he does not show up as a dealer anymore. Any more news lads ?

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
Yup. Game over. KTM gave him no room for manoeuvre. He wasn’t up for more silly games so has retired even though he filled the valleys with ktm products. Sad. Very sad. It’s another reason I got the beta. Seeing the impact the whole things had on the shop/staff isn’t nice.....all so ktm can make more money.

One of the lads there was trying to buy the premises I believe and start his own independent. I’m not sure if this has or is happening though.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
They all do it, my local indie dealer was honda and Yamaha in early 80s, first honda dropped them, then yamaha.

Back then it was for motorcycle city and carnells stack em high, sell them cheap, then go bust model.

Now everyone has to stack em high, flog them on pcp and provide a flash branded showroom.

I use my indie a lot, rather than smug salesman and great coffee I can have piss ripped out of me and if I am lucky get a mug of tea (in greasy mug) on the plus side cheap labour and I know the job I am charged for is job they have done.

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
Same here. It was Wayne’s 2003 200 I had when he went 250f. I’m sure it’s very similar for many. I know a huge amount of people who bought bikes from him. Interestingly most are now going to other brands given the recent change.

I’m sure KTM will find a new victim and promise the world to them in South Wales. They will have to “invest” in the brand. I just hope for them that the glittery prize does not turn out to be a turd rolled in glitter.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
its not just KTM the whole motor trade is going same way..dealers are expected to do more and more to be a dealer at their expense utter paper work box ticking bullshit.. and fucking leasing company's dont get me started !

·
Registered
474 Posts
I sort of understand that Pierer Mobility or whatever the holding company calls itself wants to reposition KTM as another BMW, and wants glass palace showroom to match.
But the hard-core off-road dealers could surely be given franchises with PM's secondary brands like GasGas and Husky. One of the reasons the BMW 450 Enduro failed was that the BMW showrooms weren't really a good place to sell enduro bikes: enduro customers usually want to see a mix of brands (in both bikes and kit) and choose what suits them. They don't want to see a single 'corporate entity' as far as the eye can see.

·
Registered
474 Posts
its not just KTM the whole motor trade is going same way..dealers are expected to do more and more to be a dealer at their expense utter paper work box ticking bullshit.. and fucking leasing company's dont get me started !
Many years ago I was buying a used car off a franchised dealer. The guy was moaning like hell about a 'promotion' where he had to give a basket of fruit to anyone who test-drove a certain model. He had to pay a stupid price to the importer for each basket of fruit...which wasn't even of good quality.

I bet all the orange carpets etc that you have to buy off KTM each time they change their 'brand identity' don't come cheap, either.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Blimey I don’t class myself as hard core KTM but Jesus talk about an old story...M+P going to be a KTM dealer...they are already...currently they haven’t got a clue....and that’s from some one who’s been in recently.

Welcome to the world of modern day biking.....sadly.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
its so the likes of KTM can brag how they comply to all these standards all dealers across board are all the same dont want family/independant type places its not what their image should be! the reality is as you say off roaders dont care about shinny bullshit counters the fact they comply to every box ticking exercise means fuck all the normal riders they just want bikes and a good workshop if needed i feel very angry about all this as we are in same boat in HGV world fucking big headed wankers who dont understand the industry come in and try and turn it into this fancy place...they make it so smaller paces simply cant keep up with their demands ..we think its on purpose to get rid of us small fry non tiled workshop floor proper workshops where stuff is repaired not just swapped by a usless "fitters" rant over 😀

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had a bike off him a few years ago & been in there a couple of times when passing. Always heaving in there and seemed like an endless stream of bikes going out the door in the hour or so i was in each time.
I saw Fast Eddy was pretty vocal about his departure from KTM, sounds like the same thing.

I can't stand using or going in AMS, it's the closest KTM dealer to me but they are fuck useless & overly in there

·
Registered
414 Posts
my local husqvarna dealer has just told them to ram it. it's a small shop, they wanted them to stop selling second hand bikes and extend the showroom into the workshop space. as said they are shooting for that BMW premium selling environment.

such a shame.

its difficult to find a knowledgeable dealer nowadays. I was chatting to a guy from gear 4 ktm and he was asking me what brand bike he should buy 😂😂😂 I thought it was a trick question but he was deadly serious

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i can see a massive problem in motor trade...nobody wants to do the job..getting a good mechanic is like rocking horse shit....i can see the hourly rate going up 😀

·
Registered
344 Posts
Blimey I don’t class myself as hard core KTM but Jesus talk about an old story...M+P going to be a KTM dealer...they are already...currently they haven’t got a clue....and that’s from some one who’s been in recently.

Welcome to the world of modern day biking.....sadly.
Can’t see an enduro rider tipping up for an engine rebuild or parts on a Monday and saying ‘racing this Sunday coming - can you get it rebuilt by Friday and I can run it in, Saturday ...ready for the start line’

Enduro and MX dealers understand the urgency and support that race bike buyers expect - cannot see ‘glass palaces’ being able to deliver

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Watching one of the launch vids, think was 2020 maybe. The bollox coming out of the Marketing dept mouth. "from someone who rides" "wind in hair". I get it. Boss is just there, you have to tow the line but it's laughable. I really don't think they understand the market. Or they do but just don't care and think they can define it.
If its just big showrooms I don't see any other way of buying but from a big one.
Are they going to limit parts to these also?
I think they are in for a shock how many jump ship. Other brands aren't as off the mark anymore.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
soon as more beta, yam sherco dealers pop up i think people will look for the other makes...mind you bet they are wankers to dealers as well 😆

·
Registered
819 Posts
I will be buying a new enduro bike in the month or so, and after 19 new KTM's on the run I don't think I will buy another.......... my last 3 have been 350 excf's, and I think I've narrowed my next bike down to either a beta 300 rr racing, beta 350 rr racing, sherco se300, sherco sef300, or maybe a Yamaha wr250f (anyone on here got one ?).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts