KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant figure it out. Oil level stone cold is just at the Min in the sight glass as per needs. When warmed up by a few miles spin and let to cool for a few mins the oil level is just below the bottom of the window, lower then when cold. Not once has it acted like it should and been higher.

Bike level, frame bled etc. Any ideas :confused:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
check when warm, so go for a ride then check top up as needed all on the level of course.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Why would it be higher?
The oil wil be spread throughout the engine after a run, so it will be at its highest lever when cold because its all settled at the bottom

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would it be higher?
The oil wil be spread throughout the engine after a run, so it will be at its highest lever when cold because its all settled at the bottom
Anything i've ever read about oil always says the levels higher when warmed up and let settle back down again. Its volume increases / expands blah blah, you'll overfill it if you check it cold etc.

(That been said my head tells me the same as you say)

·
Registered
666 Posts
doesn't it state in your manual that
"the engine oil level must be checked when the engine is at operating temperature"

so why worry about the level when it's cold??

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doesn't it state in your manual that
"the engine oil level must be checked when the engine is at operating temperature"

so why worry about the level when it's cold??
Because it also says it shouldn't be above the lower limit when cold lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts