KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wish the guys at the body shop would have CLEANED the plastics before painting them. I took them off the bike for them and everything! But no... paint right over the dead bugs and road grime.
Then to top it all off they called me saying my new tank had a crack in it. They stated they just took it out of the box, looked at it, and put it back.

I get it back to KTM and they said no way. Two of them checked it when it came in and said the tank was perfect when it left them. Upon further investigation of the tank we noticed it looked like the tank had been mounted to something since where the holes are to mount it were scratched to death.
The owner of the KTM shop said they probably put it on a paint jig that would alow them to shoot it at all angles and put too much pressure on it. THAT explains the crack! Otherwise I had NO idea how it would have cracked the way it did.

So Monday I get to go to the body shop and talk to the owner who has been on vacation all week. This should be interesting. I'm a quiet and sweet girl.... but when you mess with my bike I turn into bitch-zilla!!

I'm NOT happy! Although the clear coat does make the color absolutly beautiful! Too bad they screwed up every single piece of plastic I gave them. I hope there is a way to re-spray this color....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh that sucks. Hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.
I have a general rule that the fewer people touch my bike, the better.
Do the plastics end up looking the same metallic as the front end?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That's shocking. If it has bugs on there that means they've not prepped/keyed up the surface either and wont be long before it all peels off.
How frustrating :mad:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they end up looking just like the front. Its beautiful :)

And yes i'll end up taking them to court if they have some kind of jig and try not to pay for what they did. Or I can set his place on fire.... along with his nice chromed out hummer and corvette... I'm a 911 dispatcher I can make sure police and fire are tied up on another call ;) lol (I"m kidding - that wouldn't solve my problem at all.)

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Screw solving the problem. Imagine the stress relief.

I better be careful how many times i post on this thread. They'll all start getting jealous im funnier than them again (oh and better looking).:D:smokin:

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I was going to post some really intelligent, helpful info but unfortunately I've been beaten to the thread by the funny, good looking lad ;)

Really sorry to hear it's all gone tits-up LTG :frown: Hope you get it resolved asap

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Screw solving the problem. Imagine the stress relief.

I better be careful how many times i post on this thread. They'll all start getting jealous im funnier than them again (oh and better looking).:D:smokin:
I'll need proof of the better looking part...

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I'll need proof of the better looking part...

Got msn and a webcam?:smokin::D

In the U.S. they got courts & guns to setle things.
Fistfighting is sooooo last century....
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
Nah they're all mad on the MMA stuff these days. there all fat and useless (apart from liltuffgirl;)) but somehow think they are George St pierre:confused:. Does make for good viewing on youtube tho. If she was from LA they might have been filled with hot steel.:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
;)

Does anyone know the paint code for the orange? Or if you can even get the paint??
I'm about to go down to the paint shop.... I'm VERY nervous! It's either going to go good or bad - nothing in between....If it goes bad I'm not going into work because then i'll just end up walking out or quitting/getting fired. (I HATE my job - by boss is seriously the devil. He's a dick x100. It takes all I have to bite my tongue on a normal day)

Lets hope for the best! If he does fix the CRAP job i'm guessing he'll have to repaint all the other pieces. Don't see how he can strip the clear coat off without screwing the orange up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea thanks
The paint shop isn't going to do a damn thing about the tank. They didn't have anything that I saw that they could mount it too either. The guy swears up and down he didn't do anything to it and the shop owner backs him up saying the guy has worked for him for 20 years and has always admited fault when there was something to admit.

I showed him the clear coat job and his come back for the fish eye and runs in the clear was "isn't that piece overed up?" WTF?? Does that really matter? It sure as hell doesn't matter to me! I want the entire piece to look good, not just the parts showing.
I showed him the black smudges in every single piece and he says "well he started to use degreaser and it started to change the paint color". When we talked to the painter he says "I used degreaser but it didn't get it off". I said either way I would have rather you given me the pieces back than painted over dead BUG and black smudges. Who in the WORLD would want their paint to ALWAYS look dirty?!?!?

So they took the other pieces back and the owner said he can clean them up and make it better.... right... good luck on that one buddy... We'll see.

For now I am VERY pissed off and have NO idea what to do with my increadibly fucked tank. I guess we'll try to send it to KTM and hope they cover it under warentee. I'll get some pics of it as soon as I calm down. I don't see how the HELL it cracked like it did. The paint jig idea fit but he doesn't have one...

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
:frown:

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
And breath....................................................;)

Sure it'll get sorted. Or throw it through their shop window and buy a new one.:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's $1,300USD for a new tank.... I can't just buy a new one.

I'm going to take it back to my KTM dealer and tell them to send it back (they were already planning to do so). I want them to let KTM know they got it in and checked it and everything was fine.. it went to the paint shop and they stated the took it out of the box and it was cracked like that. KTM can look it over and if they think it's from abuse then they can send me something stating so and I guess i'll have to take legal action with the paint shop.

I didn't see anything there that they could have bolted it down with but I do find it pretty odd that the KTM shop says none of the marks were there before and it was a brand new tank and suddenly it's all their.

This just BLOWS! I just hope KTM will let me keep my old tank until this is all settled. I'll be WAY worse if my bike is down for long.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Shame you're so far away LTG... there's a few of us with spare tanks you could have borrowed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts