KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
They are all there I’m guessing. Everyone I know on the forum who can do it is doing it.

Good luck chaps!

Reactions: Dusty bin

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Shame the way it has gone that hardly any one lost time on the checks, Welsh 2 Day Enduro we used to get a few tight ones but none this year. We were right behind the sidecars and even getting held up behind stuck sidecars still had plenty of time.
My guess is it is because many of the tracks used have other farm taffic on them so no need to go mad I came close to a head on with a john deere gator on one very dusty lane.

On day one I was right behind a sidecar looking for a way past it then hit a load of soft ruts I was not expecting, messed up and went down and I went in to the trees wacking the top of my leg on a tree. I was in agony but just lay there, sidecars could not get past my bike very well so I shouted just run over it, luckily it was just the sidecar wheel over my back wheel not that I gave a toss at the time. Everyone stopped to ask if I was ok but I said I will be ok just carry on thanks.
Eventully I managed to get up and got back on the bike and very gingerly rode off, still got to the check in time and quickly chucked some pain killers down my neck, managed to finish the day but could hardly move on the bike. One of my mates who I was riding with had twisted his knee also so he was suffering as well.
Friday morning my mates knee had got worse so no hope for him, I was still in pain but we raided the petrol station near crossgates of there stock of Ibuprofen :LOL: to help but all day I could still not move around on the bike as I wanted to.
The first test on friday was very slippery plenty of fun and games going on there, the second was still bone dry, the steve plain test was proper slick so I decided to take it steady and stay on it, had a bit of trouble on one hill but second gear walking pace very low revs and much clutch abuse on my 300 Beta got the job done.

Just noticed FFS the cup you get at the W2D this year has sponsors names on it....is NOTHING sacred!!! thats going in the bin and I will do everything I can to avoid buying any of those sponsors products.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
What class were you in Lee? You shouldn’t have been battling with sidecars?

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
What class were you in Lee? You shouldn’t have been battling with sidecars?
Sportsman and before you say I was in the wrong class I came 40th in class.
Me and a mate were on the way home from the Brechfa rally a while back and we came through Llandridod wells, I told him this is where the W2D starts from it is an event you need to do and he was up for it.

When I got home I checked when the entries opened for it amazed to find the first round had been on the friday just gone which included the clubman which I would have chosen but with it being my mates first sportsman was probably best as I would ride with him so we got entered the following friday.

Did have to pass a few sidecars on the tests which was far from ideal. Might get my own back next year and do it on a sidecar always fancied it, maybe start looking for a well sorted enduro (narrower than mx) sidecar and some willing idiot to get in the chair :LOL:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just looking through the results and the classics have become very competitive since I last came away with a clubman trophy. Classic expert winner would have won clubman and Classic clubman would have been top ten in sportsman.
Last time I did I dropped 16 minutes after wrongly taking the separate championship route.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Just looking through the results and the classics have become very competitive since I last came away with a clubman trophy. Classic expert winner would have won clubman and Classic clubman would have been top ten in sportsman.
Last time I did I dropped 16 minutes after wrongly taking the separate championship route.
Totally ! which just goes to prove in reality how little bikes have come on in the last 30/40 years, put a good rider on any bike and he will make it work. Said it before many times I watched Pete Mathia at a MX event go out on a twin shock Maico in the twin shock class and win then go out in the next race (so no rest) and kick the arses of all the fastest riders on the latest and greatest on the same twin shock maico.

Snaf where do you tend to find Enduro Sidecars for sale?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've just sold the one in my picture to the left, I have a CR500 one that's not for sale.
Facebook sidecar enduro club, BSEC I think but will check. The Reading club have done try out days in the past. I'll ask around. Do you have a budget in mind, £5-6k can get a good one. £16k gets a new one.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Sidecars are mental bits of kit. A grassy test must be a great place to give one the beans. Not sure I’d want to wrestle one in tight trees.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
A friend of mine used to race them he had all sorts I passengered for him a few times, we put a few different engines in them I bought a cr500 engined vmc I think it was off him. I was looking around some of them yesterday before the off some had the later 610 husky engine one at least had a 525 ktm engine and there was one with the chair on the right with a yzf 450 motor, noticed that had got very hot during the special test, heard one of the drivers say he was the only one with a 2 stroke engine, saw one a few years ago with a 690 engine converted to run on a carb.
Do they tend to modify the oil pick up on the 4 strokes with the engine leaning the wrong way on corners?

Could be interested in one at around £5-6k or one needing fabrication work cheaper.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
I can see you making a mega sidecar passenger Lee, however you are also a tidy rider so I can see both roles coming into play. I’ll say right now, I ain’t no passenger! Are your nippers up for it? Maybe to young/light still?

Can’t wait to see how this turns out! I’m fascinated by sidecar perverts and what makes them tick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts