KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth a four hour drive? What's it like compared to Cowm or Tong? (Not that I've been to them but they're about four hours away too).

Obvs we're looking for lots of technical but interesting and not just a load of wide open hill climbs.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It’s really just a massively steep hill

compared to Cowm and Tong its tiny however it’s far more condensed and there is more than enough for a top day out for a good rider. over the last two years he’s built a lot of technical bits to play on near the carpark, rock gardens, mini enduro cross track which is all right at the base where you park up/camp.

from there on up there are mega hard routes or slow and steady. mainly narrow single track technical climbs with some switchbacks. I’ve been there with very good riders who couldn’t get up everything, I’ve been there with my lad on his Oset 24r and the slow, steady route (and playing) on the way up took about 90 minutes.

the wide open hill climbs are there however not as many as previously as there have been noise complaints, they now have switchbacks built into most of them.

definately go at least once. You’ll not feel it was a wasted drive.

however, as you mentioned the others, Cowm is my favourite, Tong a very close second and Wern Ddu a twice a year place for me (2hr drive)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant info! Cheers Rob.

I want to get to Cowm for one of the races at some point but I need to shift some lard first. Tong looks like a nightmare but I reckon it looks worse than it is.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Robs right.

Cowm is worth the trip race or no race. Lots of fun to be had and not all about big hills. Can be quite hard on you and bike if you drop it a lot like me being a quarry. Eats tyres but normally loads of grip. Do the loop set out or spark up a conversation with a marshal and get them to show you things you maybe after. Dead friendly up there.oh and a cheeky little MX track as well... Let me know if you head up not far for me.

The loops on Tong enduro days are no way near like the extreme you see on YouTube it’s great fun but the extreme bits are never far off the main loop they lay out. More inside a forest going a lot different to Cowm. Can get mega muddy in places. Cracking place and well worth a trip. You’ll leave with a smile.

s

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Wern Ddu, Cowm and Tong are all fantastic and don't forget H20 too, all worth getting to and none will disappoint.

All are different from each other.

As Rob said, Wern Ddu is essentially a big hill with various routes, i've been loads of times and still spent whole bank holidays there, great place, good for camping. You don't get any dickheads there (except me) as Clwyd (the boss) will kick them out (make sure your silencer is repacked as noisy bikes won't be tolerated)

Cowm is just a big (150 acre) disused quarry, a better place to take someone who isn't up to tricky stuff as there's a lot more stuff for them to do and there's plenty of tough stuff to do too. If you're precious about your bike, put some old plastic on before going there :)

Tong is one large muddy wood (forrest?) mud, ruts n roots aplenty, great fun.

H20 is a 50/50 wood/open ground, usually run by Fast Eddy or by the farmer , the open stuff is a MX track and some hills:cool:, very slippy when wet, the woods never seem to dry, lots of exposed roots etc

·
Registered
569 Posts
Went up today, the enduro cross track has moved to the top of the hill, some changes to try and keep the noise down (locals kicking up a fuss). liked the new switchbacks over the right hand side as they went up, switched back on themselves a few times and then back down the hill to do a load more on the way up, so a long set of switchbacks which were fun.

also a new bit is being cut in right at the top in an area I didn’t know existed with a stream section, that should be good when finished.

fun day, aching and going Cowm tomorrow so will be a mess Monday! :)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! Been watching some YouTube vids of it. Looks good. We'll be heading up there soon I reckon. If it works out then we'll definitely do Cowm and Tong at some point too. We've got Jack shit interesting stuff to ride down here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have a look on YouTube ( Midwest Mx ) he did his latest video up in Wern Ddu it will give you a good idea of this place, but remember it’s in Wales & after you visit fuck off back to England we have too many English twats living in Gods country already.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Ahhh, Mid West Mx. Doing his very best to advertise he is riding illegal forestry commission land and hill riding. Smart. That won’t get welsh races banned then will it?!

Good to see him using appropriate venues more.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have a look on YouTube ( Midwest Mx ) he did his latest video up in Wern Ddu it will give you a good idea of this place, but remember it’s in Wales & after you visit fuck off back to England we have too many English twats living in Gods country already.
Definitely is god's country.

Just a shame he moved out and a bunch of overly nationalistic, retarded, inbred dullards moved in and started talking endless gibberish about coal, Tom Jones and rugby, or some shit.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seriously it’s a fantastic place to visit you will not be disappointed i went there a few years ago with some mates well worth a visit but it is only enduro & trials bikes now as locals are playing fuck about the noise.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
4t bikes, especially with a free flow pipe are a really quick way to annoy people nearby. 2t will still upset people, all bikes do but 4t (these days) seem to really carry the sound and cause grief. Years ago 4t bikes were generally quite quiet. Not so now.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We all know my view on 4 strokes... But yeah, I think 4 strokes with Mx cans royally take the piss. We were riding a good little venue today which has had noise complaints and hearing the revving Rodneys on their Mx bikes, I'm not the least bit surprised. Fucking obnoxious. Especially when they inevitably get stuck on a hill climb and just hold it wide open for some reason.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
4t bikes, especially with a free flow pipe are a really quick way to annoy people nearby. 2t will still upset people, all bikes do but 4t (these days) seem to really carry the sound and cause grief. Years ago 4t bikes were generally quite quiet. Not so now.
Loud bikes sometimes don't even get out of the carpark, 2t or 4t. I was there once when 3 lads in a van turned up, 2 started their bikes up (deffo no packing in the silencers) and the 3rd got changed....couple of mins go by....the 3rd lad now starts his bike... yep, frikkin loud too...the three toddle off to sign in..... got told politely to pack up and leave.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts