KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would weston beach race be doable on a "big wheeled" 160cc pit bike? Obviously not looking to be in any way competitive, more to experience the madness on a cheap light bike!
Any thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Yes. Making sure the salt, wet and sand doesn’t get in the wrong places will be tricky. You’ll also be slow. The difference in speeds will be hazardous on the straight and when you are on the far side of sand hills you’ll be out of sight and slow. You might get landed on.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Waterproofing intake area will be biggest challenge. You'll want to make up an airbox i would think. Then the obvious stuff like the chinese chain will need changing & some decent steel spogs. beforehand. You'd prob want to stick fairly close to standard gearing to make sure you're not between gears or overgeared on the dunes.

by the time you make it down the straight the dunes will be pretty flat so wide open with plenty of momentum & hang off the back and you should get over most of it. It's the deep water, especially late in the race that will swallow the thing unless you get a dry year (even then there are usually a few deep sections).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one, thanks for the replies and the welcome!
I've been to watch a couple of times and I'm surprised anyone can see anything!
It was just a thought at the moment. I do have a ktm 530exc but don't fancy getting that involved, hence the thought of using my pit bike. As well as what's been mentioned someone suggested sealing up the flywheel cover as the gaskets are near enough useless.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeh, electrics are probably pretty terrible in general. Honestly for the extortionate entry fee & nightmare signing on / scruitineering day I wouldn't want to enter unless pretty confident the bike could finish. Also wouldn't fancy it on a 530exc either :ROFLMAO:

250 2T is probably the easiest bike to ride there as light and plenty of power without the front end dive of 4T in the soft stuff if you're not on the gas.
Modern EFI, elec start 450 best tool for the job if you want a decent result. steel spockets, O-ring chain, big tank, scoop tire, fan kit. 1 fuel stop.
Pressure wash and soak in WD 40 at the van after the race, before loading up. Then again on Monday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts