KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just got my new 1190, I love it.

What is the common wisdom about Thacham approved alarm?

Many thanks.

N

·
Registered
247 Posts
They appear to be a waste of money from what I can tell (although I do have one fitted)
I'm sure a datatag of some sort would have been much better, but appreciate it would have cost more, especially with regards to bringing the insurance down.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I bought the 'protection pack' with the bike and Jason upgraded the standard alarm to a Meta M357T-V2 (I have orange engine bars so he didn't supply the KTM kit)...it makes the insurance cheaper. I think regarding the alarm part TrebleKicker is probably right...it'll deter casual knobs who fiddle but not someone who wants to lift your bike into a van, but the immobiliser is worth having.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Personally I'd look at a tracker over a alarm.
The only time a alarm works is if you're within earshot of the bike.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I belive the 1190 has a coded key

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,

Thank you for the input. I hate alarms, I agree they drain the battery and they are a nuisance. The only reason to have it is to save money on Insurance.

N

·
Registered
874 Posts
AND...it seems my alarm is causing a problem. I turn the bike off, and set the alarm (or it sets the immobiliser automatically after 50 secs)...then when I switch back on the riding mode has reset to Street, even though I've been riding in Sport mode. But, if I switch off and back on again within the 50 secs (so, the alarm doesn't set), the mode stays where I left it. Jason's talking to the alarm bloke now!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Looked at alarms when I got my first Adv. The numbers were something like £300 to fit a Meta, and it saved (IIRC) £30 a year on insurance, so I'd need to own it 10 years to break even, and they are not perfect. However, if it saves one theft it's good value. I opted not to bother.

cheers

Markie

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
AND...it seems my alarm is causing a problem. I turn the bike off, and set the alarm (or it sets the immobiliser automatically after 50 secs)...then when I switch back on the riding mode has reset to Street, even though I've been riding in Sport mode. But, if I switch off and back on again within the 50 secs (so, the alarm doesn't set), the mode stays where I left it. Jason's talking to the alarm bloke now!
I noticed that and thourght it was a feature of the bike to rest to street......also do your front inicators flash with the alarm mine only flash the rear

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yup...rear only, which I've never seen before. I'm going in to see Jason on the way home today. Hopefully he'll have spoken to the installer during the day as I'm sure there's been a feck up...I thought with mine, but maybe something to do with the 1190+that alarm.

If you switch off and back on before the alarm activates does the mode stay where you had it before?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Yup...rear only, which I've never seen before. I'm going in to see Jason on the way home today. Hopefully he'll have spoken to the installer during the day as I'm sure there's been a feck up...I thought with mine, but maybe something to do with the 1190+that alarm.

If you switch off and back on before the alarm activates does the mode stay where you had it before?
we need some one without an alarm to let us know if it stays in sport or resets to street.......Owen

·
Registered
874 Posts
I asked and Jason said it should stay where it was put, but if someone else could confirm that would be useful.

Did you buy yours from Jason?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Owen...popped into The KTM Centre and saw Mark. What we have established is that if you switch on the ignition first, then switch off the alarm when 'kill switch' appears in the display, the mode resets to Street, but if you turn off the alarm with the button before you switch on it doesn't reset. So, we need to use the remote as it should be used!

He said it seems wrong (the resetting and the rear-only indicators), but needs to speak to the installer as the bike is new and they've hardly any experience fitting alarms to them. He's going to ring me when he's found out something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Owen...popped into The KTM Centre and saw Mark. What we have established is that if you switch on the ignition first, then switch off the alarm when 'kill switch' appears in the display, the mode resets to Street, but if you turn off the alarm with the button before you switch on it doesn't reset. So, we need to use the remote as it should be used!

He said it seems wrong (the resetting and the rear-only indicators), but needs to speak to the installer as the bike is new and they've hardly any experience fitting alarms to them. He's going to ring me when he's found out something.
Mine resets to Street whatever I do with the alarm. I thought it was standard, I am using sport but have to reset it every time.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Sorry for arriving late to the party guys - we never fit alarms or immopbilisers over here so I initially ignored the thread ..........

On my bike (1190 R with no alarm) the bike stays in the last riding mode when you switch it off - so if you park it up in sport, it stays in sport when you switch it back on. However if you have switched the traction control/ABS off before you stop, they default back to being active when you switch the bike on again.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Personally I just use a big chain (through the frame and around a lamp post or similar) and heavy duty disc lock when travelling. The factory fitted immobiliser also gives an added level of security.

What sort of extra discount on the insurance do you get with the alarm ? Is it really worth the hassle ?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Sorry for arriving late to the party guys - we never fit alarms or immopbilisers over here so I initially ignored the thread ..........

On my bike (1190 R with no alarm) the bike stays in the last riding mode when you switch it off - so if you park it up in sport, it stays in sport when you switch it back on. However if you have switched the traction control/ABS off before you stop, they default back to being active when you switch the bike on again.
Do you have a flashing imobiliser light on the spedo ....according to the book there is one but it isn't clear weather it should flash at rest or not

1 - 20 of 29 Posts