KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gents.

Just been watching a couple of the short KTM Dakar videos, and one showed them servicing Tobys bike. With the tanks off you could see the frame, and it definitely wasn't a normal Exc frame. I know the bikes are limited to 450, so I assumed they were Excf450 based, but the frame was more like the lattice frame on the 690. Are the Dakar/rally bikes a bit of a hybrid or full on specials?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
They are purpose built 450 rally bikes that exist only to win the Dakar. KTM make about 80 or so a year I think. I believe they're about 30 grand to buy.

The engine is loosely based on the 450 exc (maybe the dual OHC version) but makes much more power and has a stronger clutch, bigger rad, more oil etc..

The swingarm is longer. The forks are 52mm cone valves. The wheels are stronger.

They are very far from the enduro model and apparently much harder to ride if you don't have the skill.

(I've never even seen one in the flesh, this is all just learned from Poskit vids, Dakar vids, and Brake Magazine)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair play then, they've made a proper effort. Id assumed that bikes were production bike based, but now I think about it, all the top cars doing the Dakar are far from anything you can buy in a showroom, just have a passing resemblence to them.

Shame the Dakar bikes are so expensive, would make a lovely green laning bike for Mid Wales!

·
Registered
291 Posts
They are purpose built 450 rally bikes that exist only to win the Dakar. KTM make about 80 or so a year I think. I believe they're about 30 grand to buy.

The engine is loosely based on the 450 exc (maybe the dual OHC version) but makes much more power and has a stronger clutch, bigger rad, more oil etc..

The swingarm is longer. The forks are 52mm cone valves. The wheels are stronger.

They are very far from the enduro model and apparently much harder to ride if you don't have the skill.

(I've never even seen one in the flesh, this is all just learned from Poskit vids, Dakar vids, and Brake Magazine)
I saw one in 2019, brand new at a uk dealer

Work of art, carbon air box etc and all the features you describe above and a works Akra
Cost about £30k
Built to order and you pay Austria direct, in advance of build (if they will sell you one) and then nominate which dealer you want it supplied to
It gets supplied without any graphics etc

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Yes lattice frame proper built for the job, made to carry lots of fuel, nav tower etc not after thoughts stuck on an enduro or MX bike. I had the last carbed one and it was great, seems the 2 later versions have been good bikes also, just shows ktm can build good bikes if you are willing to pay daft money for them, Hondas are showing them the way just now though :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lovely looking bikes, makes me fancy a 690 replica in the future. It's not until you look a bit into the bikes and watch some of the videos Red bull/KTM have out out the last couple of weeks that you realise how big the whole effort is. It's a far cry from turning up in a van to an Enduro with a second hand bike. It's a shame for the sport that the F1 lot get all the attention, when the sheer effort and engineering involve to have a Dakar winning team is just so impressive.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
And just filming/making Dakar (and other rallies) happen. Off the scale effort but very little reward. F1 is just a load of mincing about in comparison.

Reactions: Miner

·
Administrator
9,303 Posts
Is there a place where these bikes get bought and sold or is it just a case of knowing the right people?

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
Imagine buying one then having to explain what it is to an insurance muppet - must be impossible to insure for any road use (if you were in the position of being able to get hold of one for use in the uk etc)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Is there a place where these bikes get bought and sold or is it just a case of knowing the right people?
Yeh this KTM Rally Factory Replica owner/riders
But I think poskitt blagit begit or what ever his name is runs so I stay away from it he makes me want to puke, so up his own arse.
You owe me a big favour for even clicking on it, in fact that makes us even:D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A bloke came greenlaning with us in mid Wales on one (or a Lyndon equivalent - he builds similar things, I’m not sure how they differ) and had a bit of an off in a washout (not a particularly fast crash). Smashed the oil cooler and damaged the fairing - it couldn’t be ridden (or repaired enough to ride home). I bet it cost a fortune to repair too!
I was quite surprised how fragile it was tbh. I believe the chap sold it shortly after...

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
^^^^^ should’ve fitted some orange anodised protection parts🤣

·
Registered
967 Posts
A bloke came greenlaning with us in mid Wales on one (or a Lyndon equivalent - he builds similar things, I’m not sure how they differ) and had a bit of an off in a washout (not a particularly fast crash). Smashed the oil cooler and damaged the fairing - it couldn’t be ridden (or repaired enough to ride home). I bet it cost a fortune to repair too!
I was quite surprised how fragile it was tbh. I believe the chap sold it shortly after...
Hi Dan, That was Neil you're referring to at Sweet Lamb. I think he was unlucky as both Ian and myself have crashed ours extensively and they've been rideable. Ian did manage to bypass Neil's oil cooler so it could have been ridden but it turns out Neil actually bust his hand when he got it x rayed. I don't think he fancied riding it back to the South Coast due to his hand.

You're right he did sell it shortly afterwards. Oil coolers are not cheap but can be fixed. I put a hole in my rad in Kyrgyzstan and got that fixed.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi Dan, That was Neil you're referring to at Sweet Lamb. I think he was unlucky as both Ian and myself have crashed ours extensively and they've been rideable. Ian did manage to bypass Neil's oil cooler so it could have been ridden but it turns out Neil actually bust his hand when he got it x rayed. I don't think he fancied riding it back to the South Coast due to his hand.

You're right he did sell it shortly afterwards. Oil coolers are not cheap but can be fixed. I put a hole in my rad in Kyrgyzstan and got that fixed.
All that says to me is that you and Ian are going too slow to cause any damage!... (As if that’s the case

I didn’t realise Ian managed to bypass it, I thought it was attempted but knocked on the head. I’d forgotten he smashed his hand tbh.

Hope you are keeping well and have managed to partake in some enviable 2-wheeled adventures to the other side of the planet in spite of this ridiculous virus sir!

·
Registered
516 Posts
couple of years back somebody turned up on a road legal one at KTM Center in Hemel, it was a bit of a monster, nice though

·
Administrator
9,303 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts