KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beta X trainer 2019 Any good for a friend who can ride (used my 300 xc) not a lot of experience and not very tall?

What is the 2 stroke oil sysyem electric or mechanical?

Thanks in advance Lee.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not tried the X Trainer but my 200RR is great fun. The 18 and 19 250s and 300s have had issues with the main bearings failing at low hours due to the cases not being warmed evenly on the production line. Beta have sorted any issues under warranty. It's been discussed at length on ThumperTalk.

The 2T oil system is electrical and variable flow driven by the ECU via a TPS on the carb. Can be temperamental but mine's been ok after a bit of fettling. Pretty much the same as on the TPIs only Beta use Dellorto pumps and KTM use Mickey Rooneys. If you don't like it, it's easy to remove and go back to premix.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Very easy to ride and the engine is lovely and linear. The forks are dangerously bad though. I rode one back to back with a 200rr and although the engine was far punchier and more useable, I literally had to just cruise as the forks were that bad. And I'm just a clubman... Albeit a chunky one.

Don't know about the oil pump etc. But they have been around long enough that any issues would be known or sorted.

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
I know a chap who races in CTR events on them. He had KTMs before but raves about the X trainer. He’s also a lot quicker on it. He gets some suspension work done but other than that he is a happy bunny.

It might help that the local dealer is also mega helpful- AB Motorcyles in Merthyr.

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
No personal experience, but people that l have ridden with that have them seem to rate them and get on with them (all have been 'not very tall' but of varied levels of riding experience)

They use bugger all 2t oil. I think for motor longevity (and fear of pump failure) l would be tempted to remove the autolube and go premix.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I got one and two mates have them great for technical stuff not so good high speed but that's not why you would buy one...very light low seat and linear torquey motor easy to ride quite similar to a pampera..makes a great trail bike,had no problems with mine but it's quite new..two.mates have done a lot more work with no problems

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've ridden one and a mate who is pretty handy trials rider bought one before deciding to go 300TE. They're good for tech stuff but if you want to cover any kind of distance or speed, i'd go for something else personally. Prob a good intro. bike if low experience, they're pretty low & small & tame.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, I take it the electric start is reliable with no kickstart back up?

The one we saw was a new 2019 but it has sold 2020 new is out of his price range, If any one knows of a good condition one for sale please let me know.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've had 2 Betas with no starter problems at all. The kickstart on my 300RR siezed up as I never used it.

Keep an eye on Acklams in Harrogate. They sell a lot of X Trainers to TRF members and they get a lot of 2nd handers in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts