KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've noticed a lot of people still planning on going riding but as much as it hurts, I'm going to stand by my point of not riding for a while.... However, I reckon I've got just enough room in the garden to practice hopping the trials bike so I'm hoping at the end of the three months, I'll basically be Toni Bou.
like a fat Toni Bou
i wonder if they have 'the World 'Fat' Trials Championships'
i bet with a bit of practice and the right tyres those mobility scooters could do some light Trials...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been WFM for a couple of weeks having balloned "im not bulking" i have relocated the oxford nemesis 16m bike chain to the fridge

·
Registered
478 Posts
The girlfriend and I are both WFH, no free time here at all. Considering what is already happening to our friends and family, we are very fortunate to be able to WFH on full pay. One of my brothers drives the tugs at Gatwick, he has been put on a 30hr per month contract. 75% pay cut as of 1Apr.

I am just about to order front/rear wheel bearings for my Xtrainer. The bike is only 8 month old but the wheels are 3 years old ? I dont recall having replaced the bearings yet, they are still ok. probably around 130hrs on them in total.

I got a failed rear TUbliss bladder on the ride at the weekend on my new 200rr. Rode it 3 mile back to the van - wheel lock did it's job, pumped the bladder up and it held out another 2 hours of riding so hoping it's just the valve.

While I am there, I will probably regrease all the bearings on both bikes.

This being said, most of the above is all just a dream as the girlfriend has a 5 yr old that is stuck at home for the foreseeable future. I cant move from my chair without her badgering me to entertain her.... so wont be getting any of the above done then will I.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bit pissed off that the gym has had to close, tried doing a few home exercises but it just doesn't feel the same, so decided to go for a brisk walk around some of the network of footpaths surrounding my village.

I set off at 0830 with a map and was totally fuckin lost by 0930.

Maps are OK when you can see the terrain, but in heavily wooded areas they are about as much use to this amateur as an ashtray on a motorbike. Why aren't there signposts on footpaths?

At least they were varied - some were tiny little paths you had to brush your way through, there were fallen trees from the last couple of storms to climb over or under, lots of mud from the storm rains and some wide open easy paths going fuck knows where.

At one point the sun was on my right, a few hundred yards further on it was on my left, so navigating by that was out.

Only one really weird bit, when I heard someone coughing their lungs up from what sounded like a hundred or so yards away in the woods. Couldn't se a soul. Must be a zombie. Suddenly realised I hadn't a clue where I was and no one would find my body for months, if ever. Kept hearing banjos in my head. If I heard the words 'squeal like a piggy' I would have run a 3 minute mile.

As it turned out, the only locals I found to talk to were these fellas on an open bit of land

I eventually popped out into a little lane, tossed up whether to turn left or right, chose left and kept walking till I found a signpost, which told me I was only 4 miles from home.

Got home at 10:30 without seeing another living soul. Must have done about 8 miles I reckon.

This path was still somewhat soggy

Easy going

This beacon is on the highest bit of my village, about 600 yds from my house

The Star - my local pub.

I might try some more walking tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I absolutely love using maps but the one big advantage of gps is that will know where you are. You should have used Google Maps on the phone and it might even have given you a guide to get home.

We have had many a walk on holiday where the signs just peter put but we usually try and backtrack But that doesn’t always work. A bit like following a trail riding guide in a strange area, if you lose touch it’s a nightmare.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Front & rear wheel hopping and slow wheelies on trials bike.
Learning loads about home made/ high power electric mountain bikes on www.endless-sphere.com. 3d printing, electronics, computer aided design ++++ - there's enough on there to last a lifetime.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Have you seen electric motions “epure” bike? Looks superb. Main riding about halfway through.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Have you seen electric motions “epure” bike? Looks superb. Main riding about halfway through.
I have oset 24 at the moment and when in need something a bit more I'll almost certainly get something like this. I'll probably give it a few years too let them iron out the bugs. For me the home made high power mtbs are more interesting as you building it yourself rather than buying a product which gives much more control. For example, the manufacturer of this trials bike gives you three maps. There are people on the endless sphere building their own motor controllers for electric mountain bikes and publishing the source code online.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
i bet some bright spark will come up with more maps. Electric Motion have been around a while now. The epure is a great progression from the last one. It looks bloody ace to me. Still on the expensive side but when you consider no fuel, oil etc it’s not that bad.

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
i bet some bright spark will come up with more maps. Electric Motion have been around a while now. The epure is a great progression from the last one. It looks bloody ace to me. Still on the expensive side but when you consider no fuel, oil etc it’s not that bad.
'Bright Spark' - did you mean to use that term in this context ..... ;-)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Budum tch

I think an electric trials bike would be a great training tools, so long as it has a clutch. The likes of the Osets are great in isolation (another pun there!), but don't really compliment a real bike because of the lack of foot rear brake and a clutch. If they want to be taken more seriously by adults and proper riders, then at this point in time they need traditional motorbike controls. I wonder what the feasability of converting a knackered old gas gas or something would be.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Is that TZR a reverse cylinder one? Bloody gorgeous.

The epure has a proper clutch to do proper trials moves. It also lasts a long time according to various vids I’ve seen.

·
Registered
335 Posts
this is a 125 red rocket. only 500 made and less than 30 floating about according to the owners club.

they come stock hand ported to death from the factory. yamaha only gave 1 months warranty with them as they are on the edge.

it rides great. if you were told it had a 200cc lump in it youd believe them. its really smooth with plenty of poke (for a 125)

ship I'll do a video tomorrow (y)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think the original motion pro had a clutch, and I think gas gas or yamaha did a prototype with one. Its a shame that as with most of the decent electric stuff, the price is a bit rich. I don't think I'm ready for an electric enduro bike, but for a near silent training bike, this would be great.

Back on topic, we got shut down from today, so I went in this morning to.finish a couple of little jobs and close up the showroom and workshop. Let hope its over quickly before too much of the summer is gone. I work for a boat dealer, so what happens in the next couple of.months could hit us had.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@owl* https://osmand.net/ open street map is good for off tarmac rights of way if you have a smartphone. Users add information to it, so whilst not always 100% technically correct it is generally much more up to date than ordnance survey. It stores maps in your phone memory, so doesn't use data like google maps. It is actually sort of fun to go old school and learn how to use a compass and paper map, although the counting paces does get tedious.

@Pindie there was a chap at the local trials club riding an electric motion. It was 2 or 3 years ago I last saw him there so it was an older model. From what I could see there were zero problems using it in a club trial and I'm sure he said it would do 4 laps of 10 sections no problem on a battery. I've seen another adult rider try to use an Oset on the expert route and struggle because they couldn't get grip with the much narrower rear tyre. Cost has got to be what's putting most people off bikes like the electric motion.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Good feedback caravan monster. The epure runs full size tyres and had double battery life of the previous model. It’s bang on par with a 300 trials bike. Battery can be swapped to. Just three bolts to change the pack over.

Looks like I’m now confined to the house. Tried to do so external work on site today but no joy. Gates locked and signs saying go home.

I’ve done my Beta Evo crank bearings now so looks like it’s now gardening and painting.

Woo hoo!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Did anyone watch 'Lost' 15 years ago? The current situation reminds me of when Desmond wakes up in 'The Hatch'

Well today I think I'm going to try and change the wing on my wifes Mx5 that Ive been putting off for 6month.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts