KTM Owners Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
We managed to give the pilot a go yesterday, kids were soon getting it sideways :D but seems we have a problem or 2 that cut it short, water cooling system was making noises water systems should not make tried putting more water in but soon did it again so we decided to load it up before we did some lasting damage, also have what I think is brake fluid coming from the front hub so need to look at that.
Got it home and I noticed the radiator looks very blocked so not getting much air through it so took it off and power washed it, put it back on filled the water and fired it up without the cap on, stright away it started overflowing and some bubbles:rolleyes: so off with the head which all looks fine the head is perfectly flat gasket looks fine only thing i can see is very light brown mark between the cylinder and water jacket in an area or 2 on the top of the cylinder. all the cylinder head nuts were very tight but it has been standing for about 10 years, getting a new head gasket might be a problem unless i get one from the states which could take for ever the way things are.

The head gasket is the type like this HONDA FL400R OEM CYLINDER HEAD GASKET # 12251-HE0-000 | eBay
3 thin steel layers rivited together, wondering if I can not get a new gasked is it worth giving all the faces a good clean then smearing a very thin layer of some kind of sealer on before putting it back together, not like is's a big job if it does not work.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Good news it ran though!

A bit of a spruce up and it’ll be ready for fun....if you can get all the parts ok.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
IMG_0259.JPG

In fact looking closer it looks like the "washed" bits of the piston with no carbon (certainly the bigger one) look to be in line with the darker brown patches, at one point when we had just turned the engine off i thought i could hear like a hissing like something was dripping on to something hot, bet it was water dripping on to the piston.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Great thanks Bungie ill get on to them tomorrow.
Was thinking looks like rust stains on top of the cylinder but there is nothing there to rust but then remembetr this is 31 years old and has a steel liner so maybe a bit of rust forming between the liner and the alloy cylinder.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts