KTM Owners Forum banner

13421 - 13440 of 13477 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Rode the 300 round the block for a bit to get it warm and dumped the gearbox oil. Wash down and a going over, fresh air filter (the 3pc filter, dust and sand cover set really is a Tourette’s inducing affair), new iridium plug and stuck it on charge. Took ages, was pretty hungover... couldn’t face doing the quad too. Blipping and popping over the speed bumps was fun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
The sun was out the roads were dry so the 690 was ridden!

2020-03-11_05-19-46 by Steve Weeks - Flickr2BBcode
H8216, [email protected] mm, f2.0, 1/100s, ISO80

2020-03-11_05-24-17 by Steve Weeks - Flickr2BBcode
H8216, [email protected] mm, f2.0, 1/50s, ISO80

2020-03-11_05-24-29 by Steve Weeks - Flickr2BBcode
H8216, [email protected] mm, f2.0, 1/100s, ISO80

Oh, did I say they were dry?? Well, apart from the massive unavoidable puddles!!!

However I had an absolute blast! On a back lane I came up behind a queue of cars and a bike. The hold up was about 500 sheep being moved. I was chatting to the bike rider, he was on a black modern naked kwak, I think maybe a 750/1000 greenish frame, not massive, I don't actually know what it was lol.

I told him to u turn and follow me. We then did 10 miles of him following me, until he made a horrendous overtake, went on the grass and almost stacked it!! Oh how I laughed!!! He then sat behind and we did another 25 miles of back lanes, he stayed behind me the rest of them.

We chatted at a junction and I pointed him to Wantage and went home. Happy days.

Well apart from the 3 hours cleaning time! I've done the back and top half, needs wheels out and exhaust off to get the rest done. That's tomorrow though

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Fantastic ride today, especially as i know where the water is, so avoided that route :)

Was going out for emergency rations, Naan bread and beer for later :)

The other day i was having a few Mmmmm's about the 690 and it's handling after a spirited ride, i was a bit shall we say, erratic. Which doesn't exactly bother it, nor me, but i wanted it a bit better.

Had a bit of a look round the settings on the Wilbers site, the adjuster has 22 clicks, now i'm not an expert so i don't exactly know how it works with the combined shocks, is it rebound, compression or what, i have no idea. But after if feeling a bit weavy/bobby on the back i changed it from where it came at 11 clicks, to 17 clicks, so 6 clicks 'stiffer' and boy does it help things, so much nicer on corner entry now.

I'm also not sure how much my clothing wear changed things, i noticed just how blowy it was at speed in my textile KTM jacket.... Today i went with the Alpinestars leather jacket and that really does give some stability without the jacket billowing about everywhere.

But overall, it was just a brilliant ride.

2020-03-13_10-11-16 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Fantastic ride today, especially as i know where the water is, so avoided that route :)

Was going out for emergency rations, Naan bread and beer for later :)

The other day i was having a few Mmmmm's about the 690 and it's handling after a spirited ride, i was a bit shall we say, erratic. Which doesn't exactly bother it, nor me, but i wanted it a bit better.

Had a bit of a look round the settings on the Wilbers site, the adjuster has 22 clicks, now i'm not an expert so i don't exactly know how it works with the combined shocks, is it rebound, compression or what, i have no idea. But after if feeling a bit weavy/bobby on the back i changed it from where it came at 11 clicks, to 17 clicks, so 6 clicks 'stiffer' and boy does it help things, so much nicer on corner entry now.

I'm also not sure how much my clothing wear changed things, i noticed just how blowy it was at speed in my textile KTM jacket.... Today i went with the Alpinestars leather jacket and that really does give some stability without the jacket billowing about everywhere.

But overall, it was just a brilliant ride.

2020-03-13_10-11-16 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Suspension adjustment is always counted as clicks out from fully clockwise, are you saying you went an extra 6 clicks clockwise to make it stiffer? How did it affect ride quality?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Suspension adjustment is always counted as clicks out from fully clockwise, are you saying you went an extra 6 clicks clockwise to make it stiffer? How did it affect ride quality?
That's correct, i went 6 clicks clockwise. But yes, in some ways you're correct that it wasn't 17, it's actually 5, using your process. :)

Either way, it was 6 clicks stiffer and stopped the vast majorty of the handling issues. It may have been i wasn't pushing as hard as the other day, but i was certainly happier.

I've got Donnington in 4 weeks (Well, hopefully) and Colin at 100% suspension is there on the day so i'll get him to have a bounce on it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I've got Donnington in 4 weeks (Well, hopefully) and Colin at 100% suspension is there on the day so i'll get him to have a bounce on it.
Is he fat?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
First big run in a while... quad wouldn’t start... pilot circuit gummed up but got it running... wafted some two stroke fumes into the airbox. Fecking thing due a major service now... will get to it this week.

Couple of short loops to get warmed up and clear the quad, another loop to check it was grand then out for over an hour on one of the long loops. Got back to the car and ripped three short ones best effort after a quick break, followed by some messing about. Great to get back in the saddle and give it some.

Think I might have broken the mrs...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Only run Super-98 as well... seems to be something the RFS is prone to... either that it doesn’t like the fine sand and I need to step up the filter change regime. Stabil help that with the RFS (as opposed to generally)?

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Stabil beats up the bully that is e.t.h.a.n.o.l ...... american stuff - they have had years dealing with the bloody stuff.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I got the 1190 Adv MOT'd today after it had expired in December last year. At least it will now be renewed in a more sensible month. It did have an advisory for fluctuating front brake but can’t feel anything when riding it s might just be the disc bobbins that need freeing up.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Went over to Al Ain with the guys there instead of 4x4 in the red sands... great terrain but felt like and rode like ... no such thing as bad pizza though as they say. Was fun. Views were awesome.

13421 - 13440 of 13477 Posts