KTM Owners Forum banner

13481 - 13500 of 13504 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I moved the goalposts on freedom a bit and went out on mine today.

Obviously being on a bike there's no social distancing needed, if someone is closer than 2m, well, we've got issues.

2020-05-12_10-24-34 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

How was it then... bloody marvellous.

I was impressed by how much of a difference the shock made... Just handles and turns a chunk better, sometimes it's only when you remove something you realise how much of a difference things make.
Power, performance, whatever you think of it as, just brilliant braaaap, braaaap, through the box, smooth silky gear changes, dropping it down into a turn on the slipper clutch, just excellent.
Turn in, was just great, it's SO fast at tipping in and out of corners, i can't do it justice of course, but i try my best, honest :)

There were 2 things that were not so perfect,
1. Startup MTC error lol....
2. Lost an exhaust bracket bolt...

Neither anything major and the bolt is replaced, on re-start no error message of course.

Top bit of fun though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Changed springs and oil in my 4CS forks. Read the instructions... did the job again but properly. Read instructions again... Did the job properly and correct. Effort.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Fitted a Scotoiler to the 1290 SAR. Bit of a faff removing the tank but theres a cracking video on Youtube explaining the steps. Pretty straightforward from that point. Not something I would have tackled before lockdown but glad I did. Going to install auxiliary lights whilst the tank is off (if I can work out the switch wiring).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Not sure you would need to remove tank as it's a bit off a pain in the arse for either as there are acc1 and acc2 under the seat for the scottoiler and in the light for the auxiliary lights

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I still do. I've been using them for 20 years and have never tried an electric one. I doubt that i will change now as long as this one keeps working.
If I were starting now I would probably go to the electric.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not sure you would need to remove tank as it's a bit off a pain in the arse for either as there are acc1 and acc2 under the seat for the scottoiler and in the light for the auxiliary lights

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yes its vacuum, had it a while(never got round to fitting it to my 1050). Would struggle to hide the wiring for the lights around the tank so two birds with one stone and all that.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
140-150 miles on the 690 today and had a blast out there. Bike and me were both on great form.

Had to laugh on the b4494 as I caught 5 sports bikes up and sat behind them thinking "why are we going so slow"

I was sooooo tempted to be childish and blow past them, but now isn't really the right time for things like that.

Gear changes are deffo better with lever down though.

A million dead flies covered the bike I must admit, 20 minutes work there!!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Often it's just the back wheel and chain that look dirty (plus the fly splats all over the front).
For my 990 (with no centre stand) I can't be arsed to set up the ABBA stand just for a chain & rear wheel clean, and I don't trust my shitty paddock stand as I've almost dropped it once on that... so I decided to make up this swing arm lift kit...

IMG_20200523_142619.jpg

Simple to do..

Lock the front brake with re-usable cable ties.

IMG_20200523_135442.jpg

Side stand in a chock that I "milled out" on my pillar drill. Had fun doing that, felt like a proper machinist.. sort of..
That stopped the bike sliding across the floor when I lifted it from the other side.

IMG_20200523_135425.jpg

Finally a prop under the swing arm made to size to allow the tyre to clear, with a bit of old wet suit to protect the paint work. Just lift the rear against the side stand and then give that a kick inwards to take up the slack.

IMG_20200523_135418.jpg

It's quick to do & surprisingly stable.
Can then clean the rim and give the chain and good oiling and towel down to leave it looking clean and shiny.

I'm ready now for a bit of ride tomorrow, off to Bude because the Mrs wants to ride there. :)

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Often it's just the back wheel and chain that look dirty (plus the fly splats all over the front).
For my 990 (with no centre stand) I can't be arsed to set up the ABBA stand just for a chain & rear wheel clean, and I don't trust my shitty paddock stand as I've almost dropped it once on that... so I decided to make up this swing arm lift kit...

View attachment 33359

Simple to do..

Lock the front brake with re-usable cable ties.

View attachment 33360

Side stand in a chock that I "milled out" on my pillar drill. Had fun doing that, felt like a proper machinist.. sort of..
That stopped the bike sliding across the floor when I lifted it from the other side.

View attachment 33361

Finally a prop under the swing arm made to size to allow the tyre to clear, with a bit of old wet suit to protect the paint work. Just lift the rear against the side stand and then give that a kick inwards to take up the slack.

View attachment 33362

It's quick to do & surprisingly stable.
Can then clean the rim and give the chain and good oiling and towel down to leave it looking clean and shiny.

I'm ready now for a bit of ride tomorrow, off to Bude because the Mrs wants to ride there. :)

Neat. I would ditch the reuseable cable ties though as they are not that strong and easily break. I would use a cut down ratchet strap (what i use when a bike is in the van to keep it steady)

13481 - 13500 of 13504 Posts