KTM Owners Forum banner

13541 - 13560 of 13580 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Put mine outside to blow away all the dust, wife thought she would sweep garage out while I had the covers off, doing fluid checks and tyre pressures 🙀😢

·
Registered
351 Posts
Slipped this on this "Cool Cover". It's on my1290GT over a PP seat. Just in time for a planned trip to Germany next week with temps forecast around 29C

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Got my luggage wrapped black where the orange was. Fitted some carbon bits. Love the look of it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
First ride out with my mate after his 11 month layoff due to injury and being trapped in the UK 3 months due to COVID-19... tried to adjust my sag, found out my shock needs regassing. Fun to get out all the same and catch up with some of the other guys too.

Forgot to take pics... here’s one when I got back.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Washed it and whipped the suspension out for service... Looks like a hover bike now.

Added a few things to the whiteboard to do whilst it’s in bits... it ever ends!

Ordered some SX bars to fit and try as well... if I don’t like them I’ll sell them to someone when they bend theirs. SXS CDI will be here this week with the rest of it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Too much time on here instead of working your way through the lists. Too many toys doesn’t help either but you’re getting closer to ideal number of bikes now N + 1.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Too much work and not enough interest in dismantling the other three at the moment...

CBR600 is first.... probably won’t be on track till October now, limited trackday slots due COVID and too hot and humid just now. Still a good couple of hours Fri/Sat morning if you get yourself up back of 4am... keep kicking the CBR down the line.

Gas Gas runs fine... still riding it. Need to dismantle it to find out final parts list then order from GG UK to here... minimum one month. It’s fine in one piece. Nice to do at some point...

200 EXC is a rainy day job... drop away at it. Got all the spares there...

Only had 5 days off this year in February for my mate’s stag... with working through COVID I’d gladly take 2wks off, out my brain in a jar and get wired into that whiteboard.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Good whiteboard that. I have a similar one, but l just list all that has been done and at what hrs/miles. PVA'd plasterboard and sharpie pen!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Slipped this on this "Cool Cover". It's on my1290GT over a PP seat. Just in time for a planned trip to Germany next week with temps forecast around 29C View attachment 34068
Have fun, it’s a KTM, so that a given really💪👍 there getting hotter on noise and no leeway on speeding, friends just returned from Nurburgring stopped/pulled over for what they said was 5kph over limit on open roads, not villages 🤔

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
At a bit of a loose end yesterday so I though I'd just check my 990's rear valve clearances..

Nah.. I'm not a masochist .. they needed checking.
Last year when I checked both cylinders the rears were off a little but I didn't trust it due to the head gasket issue I'd had. So I thought I'd put a couple of thousand miles on it post head gasket replacement and check again.. well that day came... and they are still a little out. :cautious:

New shims ordered as well as a 1/4" torque wrench as access to the cam bridge bolts is pretty tight now that the engine is back up in the frame.
Should be back up and running for the weekend.

In the meantime I'm gonna modify my throttle tube to make it a little quicker action.. so all being well that's not going end in tears (or a hedge).:eek:

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Stripped the bike down a bit more to get on with maintenance whilst the suspension is away for service. Time for the white airbox to go?

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Stripped the bike down a bit more to get on with maintenance whilst the suspension is away for service. Time for the white airbox to go?

I always like to go all orange on the airbox and flap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I always like to go all orange on the airbox and flap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was thinking about that... I like the later bikes look with the orange back and black radiator cowls... thinking I might go black covers as well... then realised I’m heading towards my old bike...

Orange/Black the best combo IMHO.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Made a first attempt at a quicker action throttle for my 990.

First notched out a section to make the initial bit slower for better low speed control, then fixed a cable tie around the cam (JB weld) to add a little extra diameter. Not had much chance to test it yet but it doesn't seem to make a vast difference.

As you can see there isn't massive amount of diameter gained so I might double up with another cable tie in the future.

Also time for an oil & filter change so I'm part way through that, no real rush as the weather is pants so just left it draining over night.

Once I've finished this I'll load up TuneECU and have a look at the throttle body sync, and adjust if necessary.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
So that's got the service done...
Valve clearances checked and corrected (just rear cylinder needed shims).
New oil & filter, screens cleaned and even the clutch oil jet flushed with brake cleaner.
I wanted to make this one a thorough service as I had been in the engine previously to do the rear head gasket so I wanted to do a few miles and then see what crud had been knocked loose (if any).
Everything looked clean so job done.

For anyone that has serviced a 990, and a Superduke in particular.. what the fuck were KTM thinking. :giggle:
It is such a poorly designed engine to service... it's just as well it's such a fun bike to ride. :cool:

13541 - 13560 of 13580 Posts