KTM Owners Forum banner

13561 - 13580 of 13580 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I spent most of the day trying to bleed my 2016 1290 SDR rear brake only to learn that I was wasting my time. Why? Because, as my local KTM dealer pointed out (after i rang him to price up a new master cylinder because it seemed it might be the problem) it's not possible for me to bleed the rear brake without plugging it in to KTM dealership software to open up the ABS valves. So, I have learned that Superdukes are now so advanced one can't even bleed a rear brake anymore. Seems greedy of KTM to charge a fortune for their Superduke only to then force you to have to bleed more cash (excuse pun) into their dealerships just to enable what should be basic maintenance tasks. Annoying isn't quite the word I'm searching for.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
it's not possible for me to bleed the rear brake without plugging it in to KTM dealership software to open up the ABS valves.
From what I have gathered it's a potential issue with all ABS systems. It's fine to flush the fluid as long as you don't get air in the system but if you do, and it gets in the ABS pump then the pump will need purging.
One thing I've read to try (if you can) is forcing the the rear ABS to trigger as that cycles the pump and just might purge the air out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at mine wondering whether to break it and sell the parts or sell as a non runner as it's really pissed me off now and with the huge fecking bill I got in today dunno if I can afford to get it fixed :(
What’s up with the bike?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I spent most of the day trying to bleed my 2016 1290 SDR rear brake only to learn that I was wasting my time. Why? Because, as my local KTM dealer pointed out (after i rang him to price up a new master cylinder because it seemed it might be the problem) it's not possible for me to bleed the rear brake without plugging it in to KTM dealership software to open up the ABS valves. So, I have learned that Superdukes are now so advanced one can't even bleed a rear brake anymore. Seems greedy of KTM to charge a fortune for their Superduke only to then force you to have to bleed more cash (excuse pun) into their dealerships just to enable what should be basic maintenance tasks. Annoying isn't quite the word I'm searching for.
Doesn't make much sense to me that. I've bled so many ABS brake systems on cars, vans and bikes and never had an issue, even when I've replaced brake lines, it's pretty straight forward to bleed the air out. Have you tried to get a second opinion from another dealer?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Set, it seems odd to me too. Have been bleeding brakes on cars and bikes myself for many years, though not ABS systems, and never had any trouble ever. Triple D at Kendal are adamant that you can't bleed the Superduke 1290 brakes unless you plug them into their service computer to open the ABS valves. With my bike I've pulled a full half litre of brake fluid through the rear line, no more bubbles appearing for ages, yet the brake isn't right. By that I mean if I pump it quick it firms up fine and the back brake works fine, BUT, as soon as I release the pressure by taking my hand off the pedal, wait a second then slowly press the pedal it goes right down to the bottom. Pump it fast and its firm again, push it slow and it goes all the way down again. Even tried bleeding it with the gear you rig up to an airline to pull the fluid through. No luck. The dealer says it needs bleeding by them. Hacks me off. Bet it's gonna cost me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Aye, seems so. I've just ran off and had look into it and there's some specific bikes that would need the abs pump needs bleeding. Have to watch out for that one.
If it were me, I'd locate the ABS pump, and one at a time, slacken off the brake lines going into the pump as that's where the air will be. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aye, seems so. I've just ran off and had look into it and there's some specific bikes that would need the abs pump needs bleeding. Have to watch out for that one.
If it were me, I'd locate the ABS pump, and one at a time, slacken off the brake lines going into the pump as that's where the air will be. You've got nothing to lose at this point.
Its booked in for sorting now. Will let you know how much it costs.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Connected my 990 up to TuneECU to see what that's all about.

Pretty good really...Using a USB OBD reader that I already had for my van and an adaptor that I bought for the KTM's com port. You can look and change all sorts of stuff if you wanted to.

Main thing is it showed me is that mine has the Akro Evo map loaded in ECU!
This surprised me as it also has a PCIII with a custom map on it so I would have though the ECU would be running a stock map. If for any reason I had to fit a new ECU I'd have been knackered trying to work out why it wasn't running right anymore.
So... I have uploaded and saved that map so I now have a backup of both maps that are on my bike (the Akro map and the PCIII custom map).

Had a nice ride out on it yesterday, about 200 miles of back roads so I'm a bit knackered this morning, was a nice day to be out though. The throttle mod I did has worked really well. The quick action could do with being more so I might add another layer to the cam. The really good part is the notch that I cut into the initial section, this has made the bike much smoother at slow speed and much more pleasant to ride. It's smoother as you roll off the throttle into corners too, no sudden jerk as the engine goes from powering to coasting.
If you have a 990 I'd say you really should do this.

13561 - 13580 of 13580 Posts