KTM Owners Forum banner

13581 - 13600 of 13640 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Picked up my bits from my mate... time to get busy for a ride on Saturday. Still waiting on parts for my suspension so got the spring back from the shop so I can put my old shock back in, to try out the SX bars and SXS CDI swap on my 300 EXC.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Even easier - l just adjust mine so the chain just touches the bottom of the swingarm at the end of thd slider.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I stumbled across it whilst looking for some stuff and thought, that’s quite clever... a bit gimmicky but a great idea all the same.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
At £17.95......I'll stick with my tape measure
It’s getting lost in a bill for suspension service, new fork springs and repairing the bottom of my shock... I won’t tell the mrs if you don’t.

Get fingered at every turn for lifestyle purchases out here anyway... assumed it was marked up.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Did the throttle body sync on my SD990.
I use this manometer I made up which was just the job and cost about £4.

It was out by about 25cm (rear had more vacuum) which equates to about 20mbar or 15mm Hg.
Half a turn of the balance screw had them sitting level.
Gonna test ride tomorrow afternoon to see if I notice any difference.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Took the 1290 SDR in to my local dealer for the rear brake bleed (and got absolutely drenched there and back) but they couldn't sort it out. So had to order a new master cyl. £168 Yippee!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nothing like that. It's been perfect for two years then after laying it up for winter it went tits up. Pump.it all is well, but press it gently and pedal goes to the floor. I think it must be a faulty seal. The KTM guy suggested a work around once I get a new MC that involves rigging a battery somehow to provide constant power to ABS pump to enable bleeding the brake at home, but he said it too quick for me to understand what he meant.
I'm positive that I could

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I wash going to stick my old suspension in and go riding today but still not 100% so fitted my new bars... then realised that I didn’t have a spare pair of grips, also that the domino ones I got for the Gas Gas are 1 1/8”...

Fixed my subframe.... didn’t take much... deep socket on the end and the metre beaker bar on the end. Then in the vice for some final adjustments, used OE silencer as the fitting guide. Worked well.

Greased the swingarm and steering head race bearings. Gave everything a good clean.

Reassembling the airbox and the rear plastics was the biggest pain in the arse. Refitted the pipe with new o-rings, cleaned under the pipe guard. Silencer went on much easier.

Fitted the SXS CDI.

Now looks like a bike again.... will get a new set of grips and tighten everything up. SX bar profile a bit lower and more attack mode, feels better in the desert (same as the Renthal 999 on my mate’s 300). Just need my suspension back now....

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Still waiting on suspension parts... so put the old stuff in to go for a blast.... first ride in four weeks after being ill for three, long weekend next weekend... had to get the bike together and tested. Had to get out and just rip!

Late one putting the bike back together, had to work on my first day off then nip out to pick up some parts from a mate. Robbed the shock bush for my Trax unit as it was missing when I got it, Linkage shock one is 10mm and PDS is 12mm... had to knock the bush I’d got back out and rob the one out my old bike... have some retro white shock spring...

Fitting the grips was the biggest pain in the arse...

Came back to a pile of ordered but abandoned tools... need to clear up.

Nice morning for it... here’s the weather at 0634 (slept in 🥱)....

Some music on the way... ode to the 300...

Still great to get out though.... sweating your tits off getting your gear on but the airflow once you are going is ok. SX bars a simple mod, same profile as Renthal 999 twin wall but no missing turning the bar ends for the guards, much better ergo for our terrain, sitting or standing. SXS CDI box really fattens the power up, comes on harder and earlier, sounds crisper... feels nice, ideal for the open desert... won’t be running the red spring when we go to the rocky trails in the winter though, getting helicoptered not always covered by your insurance.

Stock suspension was ok, geometry wise it felt good... heavier fork springs were better... can’t wait to get my other forks back now. Shimming/Valving of the forks needs re-working, initial hits were hard no bunny hopping over the camel grass today.... shock can’t keep up with the power delivery on the 300 in the soft stuff, was loose... overall it was ok though, just picked some more flowing lines and played with the throttle to get a feel for the CDI and get used to the new bars.

Roll on the long weekend... fully serviced cone forks with the 4.6N/mm springs for my weight, MX oil volume for desert drops, same for the Trax shock with rebuilt base unit (looked like someone had put a grenade in it )... bike more like a 300XC with PDS now. Should be fun.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Me again... nobody riding just now? Good weather is here, Mrs got all you bawbags out painting the fence?

Suspension back... spot the new tensioner thing... they sent me all the old springs back for a laugh... I’ll post a pic. Squeaks like an old mattress now it’s fixed.

Took the chance to helicoil the fork bottoms... not a hard job but shitting bricks when I saw how soft the fork bottoms are in comparison. Worked a treat, all the stripped/snapped lugs all grip the guards now. Bench is a mess, been working most of the long weekend.

Out for a blast ato try and get the bike dialled in again, +2 spring rates to 4.6N/mm on the front plus the MX oil volume to support my weight and the fast drops, marked difference... hard hits less hard now, holding up in the stroke better. Wish I’d done it sooner. Trax unit actually working. All feels great. Was hard/soft instead of soft hard on the front and loose on the rear with the stock stuff. Bike is on rails now. Some tweaking to do but not far off.

Set the sag myself to 34 static (I think...) got the guys to help me check it once it was warmed up. 32 static, 109 rider (seated - didn’t check standing as only had one of the boys and another’s son who’s not big enough to take a 100kg man if he goes ). Not bad at that, higher end of the 105-110 range better for sand anyway. One ring through the yoke on the forks. Back out this weekend to finish dialling it in.

Obligatory bike pic... been so humid lately but was low Sunday, stiff breeze... perfect weather.

My mate who’s a two stroke die hard but runs a 450 Husky in the dunes was giving her side eye... told him to fire in and take her round. Came back buzzing about the motor, his old one was same gen as mine but six days with SXS CDI and stock 36PWK. Another Lectron convert, loved it, so crisp all the time. Other mods help too... makes a good strong spread of power now, that kit CDI really sharpens it up. His ride was cut short though when one of the other boys who was having a go on his new Husky decked it after landing, looks like the AER fork went soft...
Think that’s bad, spare a thought for the poor beggars who man the camel farms. Tough gig.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Out for a blast today, Suhail Star was spotted in the sky earlier this week signalling thr end of summer and it was stormy last night, so cooler today and some wet sand to play with. Stayed out late as it was a nice morning... burnt to a crisp now though.

More suspension setup time... what works for the desert MX loop was tough in the scrub/stones . Had a go on my mate’s 450XC-F... dare I say it the ideal bike for the dunes (has 6sp EXC gear set), cough stalling on the peaks a pain but like an electric motor with a decent soundtrack.

Also bumped into [mention]Saif [/mention]from UK KTM Forum to Abu Dhabi desert... live about 10-15mins away from each other too coincidentally.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It's pissing down here Miner

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Lucky sod. I read somewhere that it's one of the wettest years for 70 years in the UK.
2020 just keeps on giving.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Figured out a clever way to drop the oil on the 300 earlier too... can’t believe I never thought of it before. Was over 40’C though... had to hang my T-shirt out to dry afterwards.

13581 - 13600 of 13640 Posts