KTM Owners Forum banner

13601 - 13620 of 13640 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Fitted the Perun Moto rack, and Kriega US30. Both quality bits of kit. Was worried the 30 would be too big, but it folds down pretty compact so I can stick my laptop and waterproofs in for work, or ram it full of camping gear at the weekend.
About £300 all in, with customs charges for the Perun.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Absolutely love it Miner. Such a well balanced bike, lots of power, and very well built. Nowhere near as quick as the Ducati 696 I PX'ed against it, but way more fun in any gear.
Only real criticism is the seat is too hard for me. 40 minutes in my arse is killing me. So waiting on an SC from the US.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I watched about half an hour of the lamb chop rides videos one day reviewing the 701SM including best mods, etc... looks great in Husky colours too.

If I was back home (pointless here, have to sit upright for two hours or truck/trailer your bike to the 30mins of good stuff near the mountains...) I’d love a 690SMCR or maybe more a 701SM (Husky synonymous with SM, just looks right...), Power Commander and pipe on it... braaaaappppp!! Looks like great fun.

Something more upright like a big adventure for covering distance... think my days of sports bikes for UK roads are over. Either that or super naked... Super Duke or Tuono.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yeah I do like the Husky colour scheme, just no dealers near me. KTM is only in Colwyn bay.
PCV is on the shopping list :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There's got to be a better system to act as a pre-filter than those dust covers. Seem stupid to have all the filtering capacity of a foam filter (which is 3D filter) and then put a basic 2D filter over the top. Then to ad to that it's going to get a coating of oil from the foam which will further reducing it's ability.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Deffo... cleaning them all, then trying to get it all in the airbox without it folding back on itself is a pain in the arse.... especially when you don’t have small hands.

Effective at keeping the dust out though.... had to rinse the suds bucket after washing the sand covers. Some amount of it in the bottom of the rinsing bucket when I was done. Still a pain in the arse though....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Deffo... cleaning them all, then trying to get it all in the airbox without it folding back on itself is a pain in the arse.... especially when you don’t have small hands.

Effective at keeping the dust out though.... had to rinse the suds bucket after washing the sand covers. Some amount of it in the bottom of the rinsing bucket when I was done. Still a pain in the arse though....
How would a Paper filter v's K&N function out there?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
How would a Paper filter v's K&N function out there?
Dunno is the honest answer... but for peace of mind I still run the K&N panel filter on my CBR600 which only sees sand from the bikes in front when the track first opens if it’s not been used much... and run an OE paper filter in the Pajero that I take deep into the desert.

K&N comes off the bike fine... no visible traces getting through. Would need to for the car to swap them after desert trips I think. Pajero air inlet is high above the grill at the bonnet shut line though and has a cyclone separator... want to see how dirty and dusty it gets, pull the blow off valve off.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I could be wrong but I though when those "Dust filter covers" were first put out there they were just for use for longer races, and only in extreme conditions, like when an air filter would likely become caked in mud long before the race is over. Thus you had a mid point stop to remove the cover. Then us enthusiast got wind of them (or maybe respond to their marketing) and buy them thinking that we are helping our bikes. No doubt they're giving additional filtering but is it really needed, and what performance cost has been paid as that thin pre-filter will lose flow much quicker than the foam one will. I think if you aren't needing to remove them mid ride then you probably don't need them.

I find it staggering really that the manufacturers have the cheek to sell those.. it's like saying we don't trust our foam filter to catch the dust so you'd better buy this additional thin sleeve filter to catch that dust. Instead I'd just not buy their foam filter.
Is there room in your bikes air box to have a framed pre-filter that is set back from the foam one?

If there were I think that would be more effective, and I'd make it more of a coarse material similar to fine tights. This would be just to stop larger particles like fine sand and I'd let the foam filter deal with the dust.

But that's just me as I tend to rage against the system and look to make something instead. :p

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It was change over day today in the man cave.

Last weekend I had the final ride on my SD for this year. It was chilly in the morning but nice by the afternoon. 180 miles which was enough to finish off my rear tyre so on Monday it got its end of season clean and the wheel went off to have a new tyre fitted ready for next year. Got a stonking bargain there.. Brand new Bridgestone T30 Evo for £66 delivered (currently retailing for £104).

Next was to get the DRZ ready for dirt duties as it had the road wheels on and has not been used since March...so on with the knobblies, fresh air filter, turned the fuel tap on and hit the button - fired straight up. Job done, good bike that.

Final job was to take the 1190 out of the tent.. hard to believe that I put it away around October last year and haven't actually seen it since then. It was like getting a new bike all over again. Rolled her out and hit the start button.. cough cough MTC error! lol. Oh well... I guess the battery isn't too strong.
It's on charge now so will likely be fine tomorrow, if not I'll be taking the one out of the SD as I'm chomping at the bit to take it out for spin. Can't wait to feel that mid range again...

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
After a Tourette’s fuelled installation of the daft three piece twin air filter, dust and sand cover set... nipped the chain up using that KTM chain tool. Once I’d figured it out (comes with no instructions and it’s bigger than the spec range) it was a doddle. You could do without it but it makes it pretty noddy which is ideal when you’re packing up late.

Out to play today, one of the guys brought his mate who’s a keen amateur photographer bored of taking pics of 4x4 trips, so he came out to take pics of the bikes. Another Brit, nice fella. He drove out to a couple of the bits of the track and we got our best club book poses on.

Approach to the yump...

Enduro style... fly low...

Good to see my mate feeling it after a long lay off due to injury...

Guy got some good shots...

Don’t look down... 60ft drop... this is why we wear neck braces...

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Superb photos.
He’s definitely got a good feel for it, was out Friday as well and got some cracking shots of the other guys too. The entry into that drop is quick too... right hander round a dune that you can berm standing up flat in third, then hook fourth, down a short drop into some gentle whoops and up that face to flick right on the ridge and drop down into another whoop section. He was crouched there with camera, was worried about running into him. Worked out well in the end.

13601 - 13620 of 13640 Posts