KTM Owners Forum banner
14041 - 14060 of 14068 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Took the 1190 down to Gear4 in Peterborough yesterday for a suspension overhaul. One fork seal had gone and as it's done 45K miles I thought a complete refresh at a WP service centre was called for.

First of all, I have to say, what great bunch of people. Good as gold. I wish they were closer to me. We have a huge hole on the dealer network up here after the Newcastle dealer quit.

It was a minor service as well as the suspension work, but they picked up on a few of my bike's quirks and war wounds which shows they went through everything and then road tested it. They didn't hammer me with the bill either. The bike was in the workshop for best part of 7 hours, with a yearly service, a full fork rebuild and removing and refitting the forks to the bike, they charged £530. I didn't think that was bad at all. I can think of plenty of dealers (you listening Ducati..?) who could double that without cracking a smile.

I also learned that you can't rebuild the rear shock on the 1190 S, only the manually adjusted R. The S unit is sealed. They did say they was nothing wrong with mine and it was working perfectly but if it fails, it's a new one if they're still available.

Goes in for an MOT this morning, then I'm looking forward to a weekend of firing round our fantastic north east roads. Hartside summit is 40 minutes form my house even via the twisty scenic route :giggle:.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've only ever dealt with Gear4 remotely as an on-line or phone customer, but they've always been sound.
AMS and Trevor Pope are also good, as are JD Racing down here in Cornwall.
I debated AMS, as I've used them before and bought my SDR there, and they are indeed sound as a pound. But Gear4 are also a WP service centre and it's a very easy (if boring) drive down the A1 for me. I wish we had a Gear4 or an AMS up here.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You have to put a hell of a lot of money down to be a KTM dealer these days...which is a shame as it precludes the small, competent dealer from joining the orange party.
I'm not sure that an 'orange' section in a large corporate multi-franchise dealer is best for KTM.
My experience is that as a mechanic you have to get your head around doing things the KTM way, which is very different from the Japanese way. Once you've done that, they are quite straightforward.
A small example is the oil...there's another thread on here where a dealer has put 10W-40 in a KTM, and it's burning it for fun.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
A small example is the oil...there's another thread on here where a dealer has put 10W-40 in a KTM, and it's burning it for fun.
Don't they evaporate a lot of oil as well, so Motorex contains anti-evaporation additives? I think Motul does as well.
Always amazes me when you hear people talking about buying obscure oil off the internet so they can save £30 on an oil change. That's £30 over one year or about 60p a week for 9,000 miles of riding. Or one tank of fuel in a year. Why would you risk shagging your engine for that?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Don't they evaporate a lot of oil as well, so Motorex contains anti-evaporation additives? I think Motul does as well.
Always amazes me when you hear people talking about buying obscure oil off the internet so they can save £30 on an oil change. That's £30 over one year or about 60p a week for 9,000 miles of riding. Or one tank of fuel in a year. Why would you risk shagging your engine for that?
Especially when you can get Motul at a sensible price from Opie Oils. I've used Motorex, Putoline and Motul in my bike and all have been OK...but as you say the idea of using something which doesn't have the proper approvals etc to save a few quid when you consider the value of the engine just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Put an SW Motech street rack on the back of my GT for my Givi topbox, then realised I needed an adaptor plate too. I was hoping I'd be able to use the one from my previous bike but it's too much hassle so ordered one. Took off the ebay risers that I bought - my fault for buying 'universal' ones. There was just no way to tighten the clamp bolts down due to insufficient headroom. Went for a ride - first of this year. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Cracking 250 mile ride on the 1190 yesterday. Rides like it was brand new after the boys at Gear4 fettled it. Just refreshing the forks has made the world of difference. For the cost, should have done it at 25K, not 45.

Anyway, started off with a nice little swing round the Derwent reservoir in the sunshine, through the Shire to Hexham, back roads to Rothbury via Wark, Bellingham and Otterburn. Coffee and a natter at the Turks Head Rothbury (great bike meet on a sunny Sunday), then weaved through Kielder to Wooler, into the borders on back roads to Kelso, then to Jedburgh, on to Newcastleton, round Carlisle to Penrith and up the Hartside pass about teatime when everyone else and the camera vans had fucked off (bit windy at the summit but all part of the fun). Over the top to Alston, on through Teesdale then hang a left at Langdon Beck avoiding the plebs at Bowlees and High Force and over the fells on a cracking little moorland road to St John's Chapel, through Rookhope, over the Weardale fells to Blanchland and back home for a chicken dinner and a pint while the tyres cooled.

Mile after mile, hour after hour of fabulous roads (90% twisty B roads or unclassified), hardly any traffic, beautiful scenery. I live in the best part of the country.

Didn't take any pics, couldn't be arsed.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Just loaded the Adventure up for 11 days in northern Spain 💪
Doing the same at the end of Sept (just Picos..for now).
My Basecamp is full of possible routes for the 7 days we'll be there.
Just posted off my old passport to get one that's in date.. fingers crossed.
Then I suspect I'll need a covid booster to be allowed in. :rolleyes:

14041 - 14060 of 14068 Posts