KTM Owners Forum banner
14061 - 14080 of 14127 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
So after 3 years of trying to get to Russia,with covid cancellations etc...
And 3 different bikes later......
It looks like now il be going to Norway on a ktm,& hopefully with a slice of Finland thrown in (Still depending on the damn pesky Russians)
So finally fitted the satnav today for SDR,along with a heap of helicopter tape.....
Fresh rubber also fitted........
18 days & counting !!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Fitted some lights, a glovebox quick release thingy and some brackets to the top of the panniers and new rubbers on the 990Adv in readiness for the TT next week.

Also beat my baffle into shape after it fell out ages ago and got run over several times ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Refitted the repaired rad to the Superduke today. Considering how many threads come up on forums about coolant bleeding I though it was going to be a pain in the arse, but actually it was a piece of piss. No fucking about trying to hoist the front wheel up to silly heights, just stuck it on the Abba stand with the front wheel lift attachment and pulled it up as far as it would go. I did open the bleed screws on the cylinder heads, pumped the bottom hose a few times and filled up. Fired it up, let it gulp, and it just needed about half a cupful more. Runs perfect and the reservoir level is stable. And no leaks..!

Didn't bother getting bent over paying for Motorex coolant, just bought pink OAT concentrate that was aluminium-safe from the local motor-factors.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Considering how many threads come up on forums about coolant bleeding I though it was going to be a pain in the arse, but actually it was a piece of piss. No fucking about trying to hoist the front wheel up to silly heights, just stuck it on the Abba stand with the front wheel lift attachment and pulled it up as far as it would go.
Yeh... I found that on my 990.
At first I thought I wasn't getting it high enough so used a half plank against a wall to really get the front up!
It was after that I realised it wasn't so much a bleeding issue but a head gasket issue instead... all sorted now.
Last time I did it I just used the ABBA stand with front lift and it did it just fine.

Not sure about the 1190 though as that is going to need doing soon.
I'm guessing the ABBA stand with a plank under it should get height needed.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Not ridden for a couple of weeks now due to work and after working from home all weekend clearing technical reports, I had to leave my brain in the house and go for a blast… clear the heeid.

Was going to go for some trials… but after thinking about airing and fuelling the Gas Gas up after dragging my 300 and the Mrs 150 out the way… decided to just chuck some air and fuel in the 300 and take her out the back for a brain out half hour (which became the guts of an hour, much to the Mrs annoyance…).

Normal trials gear on (old A* pants, trials boots, compression top and vest) to curb my enthusiasm along with my old lid just in case… brain out on the scrubland behind where I live. Was much needed… felt the need for speed. Good blow out.

What feels ok on the old 200 and sketchy in 5th/6th on the trials bike was dangerously easy on the 300. Near came a cropper a few times.

Got to try out the new LED light, works well, needs adjusting a little bit much improved over the stock one. Got a real feel for the Fasst Co pegs with my Forma Boulders on too, unbelievable difference compared to stock. Great purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Should be fine. If the worst comes to the worst you can always remove the rear wheel.
Oh... Have you measure how high you are lifting the front wheel?
My previous coolant fills (the SD990 on the Abba stand) have been with the rear wheel removed, and even then when aided by a trolley jack under the front wheel, it still doesn't quite get you to the 0.5m lift specified in the manual.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Oh... Have you measure how high you are lifting the front wheel?
My previous coolant fills (the SD990 on the Abba stand) have been with the rear wheel removed, and even then when aided by a trolley jack under the front wheel, it still doesn't quite get you to the 0.5m lift specified in the manual.
I didn't measure it. The Abba was on a scaffold board, but only because the ground is uneven, not to gain height. I reckon it was no more than 300 mm though and it was fine.
I wouldn't be pedantic about it. There's probably a degree of arse covering in specifying 500 mm.

One thing that may or may not be relevant is that as I'd removed the rad, the hoses were disconnected and by the time I came to reassemble the entire system was completely bone dry. As I was using a different coolant I removed the drain screw by the water pump before refilling to make sure the engine was fully drained but not a drip came out. Whether that helps I don't know. I wasn't that careful with the cylinder head bleed screws either. You're supposed to fill well past them so they're flowing freely with no air bubbles while you're screwing them up again. But I didn't put enough in before picking up the wrench and they'd stopped flowing by the time I got to them. But it didn't matter. Still bled fine.

·
Administrator
10,880 Posts
That’s my local lot, don’t recognise any faces though.. was it a good day out? My cousin lives in Hunny and I keep meaning to take a bike when I visit and explore some lanes. I usually drop in on the way back from Cadwell but it’s the wrong kind of bike!
Yes it was an excellent days riding, there's some really good lanes around there and Thetford. The event was the Iceni Weekend organised by the Suffolk Trail Riders, but I only rode on the Sunday. Our lead was a guy called Ben Farmer. Nice bloke with a 530 excf.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Errr...... fitted the Satnav,& removed the quadlock,as in the first pic lol View attachment 47351
That reminds me, looking at your Evotech rad guard. I fitted one the same to my gen 1. When I took my rad off to have it repaired, I noticed the foam padding strips that came with the guard had long since worn off /fallen off /got washed off and the rad and the guard were metal on metal and the guard was in contact with the fins.
Found this in Screwfix:

Much thicker than the stuff Evotech supply so the guard isn't rattling against the rad anymore. And if it doesn't last that long, you get two rolls in the pack so there's stacks more. Probably worth checking a couple of times a year that it's still there.

14061 - 14080 of 14127 Posts