KTM Owners Forum banner
14121 - 14140 of 14174 Posts

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Woke up early. Breakie in Sennybridge whilst hatching a plan. Unwittingly rode some of the failed Welsh RR course, holy fuck, they'd need some bales. Crap photo of a German village on the military land.
Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape

Then all bar one small part from Newbridge to Rhayader spent the whole time on B roads and unclassifieds up to Llanbrynmair. Took some wrong turns. All 9 miles are not equal.
Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Tree
Cloud Sky Water Plant Mountain
Cloud Sky Water Plant Natural landscape

Then hacked it down the 483 for a bit in the dry. Those that know, know.

3rd tank full near the ABR Festival, where you were all practicing standing up on your pegs in the fuel station ready for the epic journey home. ;)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Took the 1190 for a quick test ride this afternoon, just to make sure it's all ok after having the wheels off, and to see if the new tyres need scrubbing in.. they didn't.
Conti's are pretty cool. Rear felt a little skitish at WOT but I'm sure that'll settle down.

Man.. I love having new tyres. :)
It feels like a 125 in corners now... :giggle:
I hadn't realised how much effort it was taking to hold it in a lean.. but now it just drops in and stays there.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Put the 1190 to the back of the garage for now and rolled the 990 forward, which also now wants new rubber. Just the front tyre though as the back one is still pretty new.

The front has worn triangle'd but has a worse band around the RHS caused by a track day. Last time I was out it felt like the front was going to slide out a couple of times so I decided to quit whilst I was ahead and to get the new tyre on ASAP.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

This will also give me an opportunity to clean up the front calipers..., again.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Got the front calipers and fork bottoms clean..
The brake dust had blended with some oil residue (likely ACF-50) and was a right shit to clean so I gave up with detergent and broke out the toilet cleaner...
This years favourite source of hydrochloric acid is Domestos Zero Limescale (as it smells nicer than Harpic).

So new front tyre on, wheel cleaned, bearings greased, brakes cleaned. ready to go..

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Was planning to go out today but the weather looked a bit spicey so I'll wait until Sunday...

Also put a super capacitor module on my 1190.. because in this day & age why wouldn't you?

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electrical wiring

Circuit component Gas Electric blue Office supplies Plastic

So that's now in the tail section...
If I get rear ended in the future there'll be one hell of flash.. :giggle:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got the front calipers and fork bottoms clean..
The brake dust had blended with some oil residue (likely ACF-50) and was a right shit to clean so I gave up with detergent and broke out the toilet cleaner...
This years favourite source of hydrochloric acid is Domestos Zero Limescale (as it smells nicer than Harpic).

So new front tyre on, wheel cleaned, bearings greased, brakes cleaned. ready to go..

View attachment 48139

Was planning to go out today but the weather looked a bit spicey so I'll wait until Sunday...

Also put a super capacitor module on my 1190.. because in this day & age why wouldn't you?

View attachment 48140

View attachment 48141

So that's now in the tail section...
If I get rear ended in the future there'll be one hell of flash.. :giggle:
What does a supercapacitor module do?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
What does a supercapacitor module do?
I run my Garmin Montana without an internal battery so that if it freezes I can power cycle it on the move, and without having to remove it from the mount. The problem I then discovered was each time I start the bike the Montana also does a restart as the power drops out... that started to annoy me as it won't automatically start up in the map view.

So to stop this from happening I put that tiny 1.6 Farad cap module in the Montana power feed, along with a limiting resistor and a diode to stop it reverse feeding the bike while starting. That cap module is tiny (the size of small box of matches) but holds enough charge to power the Montana for about 10 seconds, which is more than enough time to keep it on whilst I'm cranking the engine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I run my Garmin Montana without an internal battery so that if it freezes I can power cycle it on the move, and without having to remove it from the mount. The problem I then discovered was each time I start the bike the Montana also does a restart as the power drops out... that started to annoy me as it won't automatically start up in the map view.

So to stop this from happening I put that tiny 1.6 Farad cap module in the Montana power feed, along with a limiting resistor and a diode to stop it reverse feeding the bike while starting. That cap module is tiny (the size of small box of matches) but holds enough charge to power the Montana for about 10 seconds, which is more than enough time to keep it on whilst I'm cranking the engine.
Do the capacitors hold that charge indefinitely or does it leak away over time?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It will leak away very slowly inside each capacitor but that module also has balancing resistors across each capacitor so there will be a small leakage current along that too.
None of that matters though in this application as the capacitor module is connected directly to a permanent live (via a fuse) so it will be kept full until it's needed, and the drain on the battery is negligible.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It will leak away very slowly inside each capacitor but that module also has balancing resistors across each capacitor so there will be a small leakage current along that too.
None of that matters though in this application as the capacitor module is connected directly to a permanent live (via a fuse) so it will be kept full until it's needed, and the drain on the battery is negligible.
Despite my blindspot with electrics and electronics that makes sense. Thanks for such a good explanation.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Took mine and the Mrs smokers out for a ride on Sunday afternoon… been too drunk or hangover to post for a bit since.

Positive feedback for the Mitas Terraforce MX SM on the 300, including going back to 80/100 front and trying a 110/100x18 for the first time in the 300. Hard to gauge them on other people’s 450’s, things just hook up so much better in the dunes. Working well though, much more nimble too. Felt good.

Mrs got to cut her own short loop and get her confidence up, I disappeared a few clicks out to hit our 7km desert loop for a bit and alternated between that and the 3km sand MX loop. Finished with rattling round her little loop as fast as I could. Was a laugh.

Was forecast to rain (satellite showed it too!), had been on/off the couple of days before we got back. Sand still had a fresh crust on it. Didn’t though, clouded up for a bit and got even hotter… it was fooking melting. Enjoyable in the last hour at least. 🫠 65km, not bad considering.

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Had an after work bimble with a mate. Had a refreshment stop at a hotel garden overlooking a river.
We held hands and giggled. Cunts.

Actually we sat and listened to a mouthy bint who had caught her fella cheating. Poor sod had a right earful. She went on and fucking on and it got louder and louder. Ramping up. Stopping just as bottles started chinking. Her 2 little boys who looked around 4 or 5 were wandering around in full earshot. Poor little lads.
The whole beer garden could not but listen to her. Comedy gold it was.

We then travelled a whole 20 miles to a chippy where we sat and watched jail bait wander about. Gotta love a heat wave.

14121 - 14140 of 14174 Posts