KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That time of year is coming and i cant afford to insure the car as my insurance has gone up?! so im gonna want to kit up in the gear and enjoy riding around without all the summer vespa riders ''ciao''

What gear has got you through the winter?

Pics would be great!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I somethimes wear a big metal over coat that is stabilised with a wheel at each corner and some glass to keep the wind and rain off. Otherwise its the usual cordura stuff made by decent companies. So nothing from the jokers at Akito, Oxford, Swift or Frank Thomas. You should be looking towards companies like Rukka, Alpinestars, Gear and Furygan for stuff thats gonna work as advertised.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Same as in summer.....Short-sleeved shirt, shorts and flip-flops....Just ride like a cock and generate enough adrenelin to keep you warm... (Me=:wanker:):p

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I find the run of the mill adventure style heavy jacket and pants warm enough, but the item that makes the most difference to comfort is a lower face mask. I use one of these but assume any similar design would do the same. Fogg Off Face Mask

·
Registered
85 Posts
Big wooly overcoat with big pockets so you can keep a flask of hot tea or coffee in when the austrian piece of cak breaks down

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wouldn't ride through a winter without heated grips. For the rest of it a cheap fleece or two under a Cordura jacket and a pinlock visor insert do it for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, but what in the name of jesus, joseph and mary would anyone want to ride arround on motobikes in the winter for ???????? Where is the fun in freezing yer balls off ? I'd rather just get the bus!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ive road in the snow many a time on my moto. Just stick a pair of inner gloves under my leather ones, a HH under my leather jacket then a Hoody over the top and then just my Draggin jeans and MX boots with warm socks. Rain, wind, snow, sunshine... Dont matter i'll ride in it, admitedly some conditions are more fun than others but i always enjoy every ride no matter the weather.

Oh yeah and a face mask is a must if you are usin an MX helmet like i do

·
Registered
121 Posts
Winter can be a great time on your bike, if you can ride in the cold dark freezing mornings and survive it makes you a stronger /better rider.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
That time of year is coming and i cant afford to insure the car as my insurance has gone up?! so im gonna want to kit up in the gear and enjoy riding around without all the summer vespa riders ''ciao''

What gear has got you through the winter?

Pics would be great!
i rode last winter. granted some of the time its about survival rather than pleasure but it definately makes you a better rider IMO. except snow and shit.

i used: dianese goretex gloves, Dianese gortex jacket. ordinary textile bottoms, not even really good ones. def get a windstopper neck warmer if not a full undergarment - they are worth every penny. just used standard motorcycle boots with plastic bags if they were wet.

I now have heated grips which are good, bit weird having the outside of your hand still cold. wanted to try those heated gloves at some point. there's also a plug on my hornet for a heated vest which Im definately going to try this year.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my journeys a 40mile round motorway trip,i wear a dainese goretex jacket with a hein gericke bullson waterproof over the top,hein gericke textile trousers,hein gericke gloves,i also have heated grips but at 70mph+ the tips of my fingers still freeze so this year i,m gonna put a pair of those granny handlebar muffs on.riding in the coldest months is not about what you look like but making sure you survive.i,ve rode through 17 winters and i,ll tell you with frozen hands/finger tips your asking for trouble.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i tend to ride all year round, just wear my textiles in the winter, spada trousers and bering jacket.

Glove inserts can be useful as well. Only time i dont ride is in snow and frost. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Winter is the best time for riding. I go for heavily vented jacket, armoured jeans and lightweight race gloves. Winter riding is when all those months of sweating your nads off in 40+ degree heat finally gets blown away by long track days (and nights at Losail, hurray) in loverly biking weather. Corse, my winter would be very much like a lot of you guys summer.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Winter is the best time for riding. I go for heavily vented jacket, armoured jeans and lightweight race gloves. Winter riding is when all those months of sweating your nads off in 40+ degree heat finally gets blown away by long track days (and nights at Losail, hurray) in loverly biking weather. Corse, my winter would be very much like a lot of you guys summer.
piss off

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Aaaaaaaanyway.

I use two piece leathers as I do in summer but thermal shirt and trousers underneath and a neck buff. Not ideal but gets me by. Only real problem is finger tips with get painfully cold with Alpinestar GP 2s. Thinking of a thicker glove rather than heated grips this year.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Winter can be a great time on your bike, if you can ride in the cold dark freezing mornings and survive it makes you a stronger /better rider.
Makes you stronger???? More likely gives you early arthritis

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Aaaaaaaanyway.

I use two piece leathers as I debit summer but thermal shirt and trousers underneath and a neck buff. Not ideal but gets me by. Only real problem is finger tips with get painfully cold with Alpinestar GP 2s. Thinking of a thicker glove rather than heated grips this year.
all depends how long your journey is i reckon. Even with my winter padded goretex gloves and handguards after 30 mins the fingers still get very very cold.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heated grips are the future - you can't feel a thing with heavy gloves on - and they rarely work anyway in my experience. Quick KTM throttle actions and heavy gloves - hmm, loop the loop anyone?

I use Kushitani race gloves all winter - they aren't vented and don't have hard metal knuckle guards or anything. They work a treat, only problem is the kevlar under the palm blocks someof the heat from the grips - doh!

Other than that Dainese goretex jacket and trousers with Alpinestar SMX-4 goretex boots serve me right through the Winter - I just put the liners in and maybe an extra under layer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts