KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing and never would be the ideal answer, but that would just be too good to be true. I'm asking this question because the odd thing has been replaced on the bike but I always seem to get cought out and it snaps, stops or just pisses oil out when I least needed it to..normally 100's of piggin miles from home :frown:
I've got an '06 990s with 18700 on the clock..so far I've done the following replacement as well as the proper servicing schedule.

1. Fuel filter replaced at 15k ish and it was well blocked up too.
2. Original chain snapped at 16k ish. sprockets looked like new but obviously changed too.
3. Clutch slave cylinder gave up the ghost at 17.5k..Oberon replacement now on.

I'd say I look after my bike pretty well, but some things are a wee bit too expensive to just replace for the fear "it might go some time so I'll just fit this expensive aftermarket jobby" If you get my drift.

So what else can I expect and roughly when? I've read the water pump might be on the cards soon?:eek:

Hopefully with a bit of prior knowledge I may just have the likely bit in my panniers next time :smokin:

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
sounds like you've had a good run so far - 18000 miles and just a new chain n sprockets, slave and fuel filter........as for whats next - feck knows - but enjoy the bike while its running well

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Mines at 16,000 miles (2007 model) and has had nothing apart from brake pads and oil changes !

Guess the clutch slave and water pump will both go tomorrow now I've said that ....................

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Battery, main fuse terminals (especially if you take it off road), rectifier regulator, clutch master seal, punctures?

That covers about everything ;) next time you wash the bike make sure you clean the main fuse terminals (bottom right hand side of the bike as if you're sat on it) and coat them in vaseline/ACF~50.

Keep smilin' :D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Which fuel filter did you replace it with? Standard one or Facet?

You would be wise to check/change the waterpump seal - not expensive if you do it yourself and you would be able to easily if you have ever changed the oil or worked a bit on engines before. If not, you can still do it!

As DG says - have a look at the starter relay and the connections under the sump on the R/H/S of the battery box - you want to keep them clean and covered with vaseline because the area corrodes quickly if ridden in all weathers/offroad

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Not to be too critical, but those things you mentioned are expected & probably should be replaced preventatively (except for the chain - thats odd!).

I would do the water pump seal when you next have the opportunity - its very much beyond its normal expected lifespan. (15k miles)

As Gav says, keep an eye on the electrics. Just make sure theyre clean and well coated with ACF50.

In addition, I would:
a) check your stator bolts
b) check your clutch bolts
c) check the chain-guide bolts - remove then and replace them with a good dose of loctite.

Oh, and ride it :)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
What about the clutch snatch problem?? My 57 plate has 18k on the clock and has just started to snatch when cold. Ant fixes out there?
When you say snatch - really grabby?

Check the clutch booster - it might be worn (remove all the plates - booster is at the back)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just fitted a standard KTM fuel filter kit....still £55:eek: for a pair of fancy filters though. The facet bit you mention, is that not an alternative fuel pump? ment to be a lot more reliable too.....more expence

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Just fitted a standard KTM fuel filter kit....still £55:eek: for a pair of fancy filters though. The facet bit you mention, is that not an alternative fuel pump? ment to be a lot more reliable too.....more expence
Gareth has confused your 990 for a 950. Its those canadians hes been hanging oot with eh?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Mine has always done it,even with a Rekluse when cold i can feel it.
Do i care? 30,000miles says not!!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Mine will do it occasionally with cold. Not that often though. Pretty normal. I wouldnt worry about it.
+1 on that, I have got into the habit of pulling in the clutch 4 or 5 times before I put it gear when cold. It may not do anything but it makes me happy :p

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
+1 on that, I have got into the habit of pulling in the clutch 4 or 5 times before I put it gear when cold. It may not do anything but it makes me happy :p
I also keep the revs down when starting off - so the clutch is slipped at lower revs - it helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts