KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - looking forward to buying my first ktm after looking and lurking for ages!

Am looking for a road legal enduro for commutes to work (10 miles town/B roads) and the very occasional byway/trail lanes that's gonna be reliable and not gonna scare the bejeezus out of me!!!

I'm more of a mature rider, but have had bikes until a few years ago including a drz400 which I loved (before it was stolen), so am looking for something that can be ridden more sedately.

I have got 2500/3K to spend and I was thinking of an EXC400/425 or maybe the 525. I have seen some 2003/4 bike for about 2k. There are also some 250 and 300 exc's just about in that price range.

What would you suggest?? Ta!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Personally I would not use a street legal enduro bike for commuting, its just not what they are built for. The seat is like a razor, the gearing is too low, knobbly tyres don't last long on the road and don't have good grip, they vibrate and need a fair amount of maintenance. I'm sure that you could commute to work a couple of times but it will soon become a literal pain in the ass. There are probably another dozen reasons that other people could come up with too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I get that - I shouldn't have put commuting - I really mean biking to work occasionally mainly in the summer when it's not raining! Guessing it will never be more than once a week.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
OK so I guess you need to ask yourself whether you want to go 2 or 4 stroke first of all. Both need more engine maintenance when compared to a 'normal' street bike. Pro's and cons for both. 2 or 4 stroke usually starts a bun fight on this forum!

Now this might sound odd as we are on a KTM forum and it might piss a few people off, I own a 2013 300 exc, I have spent ages sorting out things on it which I just thought were pretty crap, I like my bike now and won't be selling anytime soon, wilI ever own another KTM?....Nope not even if it was given to me!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Drz400, DR650
Maybe crf250L or wr250r.
XT660 X or R.
That's just few that spring to mind as I think you definitely want more of a trail/road bike rather than an enduro/trail bike.

The 640 enduro would be the best KTM in your price range but they don't come up used that often.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Tidy DRZ400S - may take a while to find, but are perfect for the job, possibly a CRF250L, but they weight the same as the DRZ and have about half the power.

Kawasaki KLX250 (similar weight and performance t CRF, but been around longer / possibly cheaper)

At your budget your looking at a 10 year old Enduro bike, be hard to find a good one and even then it might still be due a load of expenditure in the not too distant future, few people rebuild and engine and service suspension just before selling - would you spend a fortune just to benefit the next owner?

Be worth finding an extra chuck of change for a much newer / lower hours bike - otherwise you could end up spending more to bring an older bike up to scratch.

The XT660 is another option, but I looked at those and reviews were not great, I think the DRZ is a better bet, I loved mine, only reason I sold it was I never used it on the road, just trailered it somewhere to ride off-road so an Enduro made more sense - it was low mileage / very tidy (odd mark, but no rust) / sorted (Protection, luggage / large tank + original) and I paid £2300 for it (and sold it a few months back for what I paid)

·
Registered
270 Posts
690 Enduro fitted with some TKC’s or similar for longevity. Road bike service intervals, decent manners on road and more than up to a few lanes.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Save some more of your pocket money and get 1290 Superduke.
Fuck it you only live twice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies - had a DRZ and loved it, got stolen, so that ship has sold. Always wanted a KTM in orange, and as suggested might look at some LC4s, but most of these seem to be supermotos.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Trouble with the old thumper trail bikes is they have shitty CV carbs so don't react as quickly. A early 2000 ,450-525 exc have a lovely engine that's easy to maintain but some parts are now unavailable and they don't have a ignition key. There is not a lot of proper trail bikes out there, it's either race bike or small engine or fooking great heavy things. I liked my crf250l, it wasn't a wheelie machine but was plenty good enough for gentle off roading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts