KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After completing stage 1 of Desert Rose on a 690 I find myself in need ( or is that want) of one.

Im looking into px my 990 adv for a 2011 690 enduro R but not sure what to expect price wise. Bought my 990 Adv from new and plan to take it back to my dealer where it has had all servicing done.

So , my bike...

KTM 990 ADV 07 model on a 2008 plate
15000 miles
Fully serviced supplied by Drysdales so full service history, keys, books,briefcase, tool kit, all receipts, blah blah blah
Engine crash bars
GIT bash plate plus original
Full Hepco and Becker luggage with Racks
Akrapovic silencers plus originals
High front fender conversion plus original
Bling (KTM orange Clutch master cylinder/Rear brake/front brake covers)
KTM racing CNC clutch cover
Oberon performance clutch slave cylinder plus original
Support for GPS bracket
Recent 16T front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain
Recent rear tyre
Spare heavy duty front and rear tubes.

Now the honest stuff...

No warranty as I didnt get round to extended it
Two nicks on the seat
Needs new front tyre

Is it something I should sell private or trade it standard and sell bits and bobs separate? Any one in the know to advise? Much apreciated

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If your not in a hurry, sell the extras and rerurn it to standard, then sell the bike privately and use the money to buy a new 690. You will get WAY more money this way, for little work.

Oh and il have first dibs on the G-it guard and clutch cover if you do decide to sell :smokin:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
FWIW, I've just done Stage 1 of Desert Rose on my 990 Adv...

...and I'm keeping it :D

The 990 might be a bit bigger and heavier (OK, quite a lot bigger and heavier) but it can do it - and take you plus luggage across continents in comfort.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
FWIW, I've just done Stage 1 of Desert Rose on my 990 Adv...

...and I'm keeping it :D

The 990 might be a bit bigger and heavier (OK, quite a lot bigger and heavier) but it can do it - and take you plus luggage across continents in comfort.
He's right you know ............ I did the 690 try out day with Patsy @ Desert Rose Academy - and I have to admit the 690 was far easier to man handle - we didn't do much the 990 wouldn't have done with a skilled rider (not me). yes I wanted a 690 but then the Adventure is just that bit more flexible and able to do it all.

Gordo has obviously seen the light now Patsy has shown him !!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I just spent 20 minutes typing a lengthy reply to your thread - then managed to delete it :wanker:

I aint doin it all again ....................

Think carefully. I did the 690 try out day and rushed straight off to my dealer to buy a 690. Luckily there were none available.

I now realise the 690 cannot replace the Adventure ......... the Adventure is a more rounded, capable, flexible bike. The 690 is limited and a kind of stuck in the middle bike. It's neither a pogo nor a big trailie.

If you mainly want to 'off road' - get an EXC. if you want to 'travel the world' - it's gotta be the Adventure. if you want to travel the UK and do 'some' off road - the Adventure wins hands down.

Pete

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I did exactly what you are talking about doing…I sold a 990 Adventure to buy a 690R Enduro. They are an extremely capable bike and do a good all-round job.

I’ll be honest and say I regret selling my 990 and never had the same affection for the 690 that I did for the bigger bike. The 690 is cheaper to service would hold 75mph on the tarmac runs to the dirt tracks and got great MPG and putting a AKRO pipe on transformed the pickup on the bike (If you thought the standard pipes on the 990 got hot just try the trouser melting molten pipe on the 690!)

The standard seat is very firm and the turning circle on the 690 is very poor and for such a tall bike that can make life difficult off road.

If mine had not been stolen I would still have kept it as it’s a very capable single cylinder engine, but if I do go back to a smaller bike I think I’d be far more tempted with the KTM 400 (and just keep the bigger bike to run into the ground)

Don’t know if any of the above helps, just my take on the situation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all replies...

On the stage 1 (29th May) it pissed down with rain and we had some very slippy ascents which got me thinking about a lighter bike cause there's no chance I (as I really dont have the skills) would make it up there on my Adventure, especially with luggage.

Currently in Sudan for the next 6 weeks so have time to think it over.

Having said that, its rain season here just now and the roads are terrible, which makes me think again that travelling africa would be better on a lighter bike.

Maybe you're on to something there Pete, have EXC as well....hmmmmmm

Cheers again, will let you know outcome...and to Gareth, you can have the bashplate if I go down that path.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers SignXman

I feel a biker's life's just too short not to go and try different bikes. I love my Adventure and have had fantastic times over the two years Ive had it and like yourself I may regret it but theres that itch...know what I mean?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts