KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking out loud really. I am still nursing the duke 690 and was interested in finding out if I am being too soft or to aggresive with the bike during it's running in. Bike is still completely standard from picking it up & manual says keep it under 6000rpm during the running in stage. ( I know women shouldn't read instructions but I did - so there!)
What speed are you doing (and what RPM is showing) when you change in each gear?
Weather & timing hasn't been great so I can't really remember what I did myself but any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I wouldn't get hung up about precise speeds, just don't thrash it and don't labour it, ie ride it so's the engine feels happy. (Engine happiness check: when you open the throttle it should accelerate smoothly and fairly strongly - if it struggles then it's labouring and you're in too high a gear, so change down.)

If you change up between 5000 and 6000 rpm you shouldn't go wrong but that's probably spinning a bit fast for unhurried riding. And get to know what it sounds like at around 5.5k then you won't have to keep looking at the tacho and risk crashing into something!

Hope all that makes sense

Enjoy the bike ;)

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
i fucking cane it when its burbling on the rev limiter change up and same again. happy days

·
Registered
599 Posts
I waited for the rev limiter to kick in and then shifted without using the clutch. You have to get maximum return on a new bike's 2 year warranty:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have never "run a bike in" but i only keep em 2 years max as i get bored easily. Just thrash it from new and see what happens. In my experience nothing bad has ever happened just lots of fun from day one.

Now then, anyone want to buy my 500 mile old S1000RR - ha ha!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts