KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what folks find works best in changeable weather on the trails.

Typically we go out when we like the look of the weather, and if likely to piss down we stay home, if warm it might be mesh or light enduro trousers and MX Shirt, if cold I use an old adventure jacket and (Fairly) waterproof Enduro Trousers.

But for a long day out when it could piss down for short periods and be quite hot the rest of the time I am thinking:

Waterproof gear will be way too hot when sun is shining and it could be 23-25c.

Mesh Gear / MX Shirts will get soaked instantly and possibly be cold - but maybe dry out quick enough so I don't care?

Really don't fancy riding around with huge rucksack packed with several different trousers and jackets, so wondered what other people find is the best compromise for our changeable summer weather?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I use army goretex pants and jacket, windproof , waterproof, very light and can pack up very small in a bag!! Only cheap , I paid £15 for pants and 25 for a top 10 years ago, and they still work

Normal riding gear underneath!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Agree with Burner. Cheap Army Goretex or if it's not going to be cold, then a very lightweight windshirt and put up with being wet. Only ever wear Armour and Enduro trs/top underneath

·
Premium Member
9,291 Posts
Yeah. Normal lightweight gear then army on top for the wet. Army stuff is bombproof and cheap.

'Adventure' gear for trail riding is bonkers, far too hot, even in winter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am wondering what folks find works best in changeable weather on the trails.

Typically we go out when we like the look of the weather, and if likely to piss down we stay home, if warm it might be mesh or light enduro trousers and MX Shirt, if cold I use an old adventure jacket and (Fairly) waterproof Enduro Trousers.

But for a long day out when it could piss down for short periods and be quite hot the rest of the time I am thinking:

Waterproof gear will be way too hot when sun is shining and it could be 23-25c.

Mesh Gear / MX Shirts will get soaked instantly and possibly be cold - but maybe dry out quick enough so I don't care?

Really don't fancy riding around with huge rucksack packed with several different trousers and jackets, so wondered what other people find is the best compromise for our changeable summer weather?
As others have said, normal light weight off road kit & if the rain starts Army Goretex. I managed to buy a complete new suit a few years back for £50. Try getting the trousers with the full length zip in the legs, it makes them so much easier to put on & take off. This army stuff packs up really small & I put my trousers in the rear pocket of my normal riding jacket.
The other item I have for winter riding which again packs up small is the 'Lomo' cycling jacket, £25 and if it turns cold,a great light weight extra layer.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Don’t buy Fox enduro gear it’s very poor quality and very expensive. I’ve been stupid enough to buy 2 lots of their so called all weather kit. Fell apart at the seams when washed and generally not fit for purpose. The dealer I purchased from tried to get Fox to replace under warranty but they didn’t want to know surprise surprise!
Ive not tried the Army Gortex but will be once these Sinesalo trousers are trashed.

Lark09

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
If above 10 degrees C then nothing. Just race gear. If below 10 then I take a cycling stretchy jacket behind my clocks. God forbid I had to do roadwork it’s there. It’s also there in case of a breakdown or emergency. I also have a space blanket cable tied to the bike for the same reasons. I am lucky enough to live where long idle stretches don’t occur.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I’m pretty much piss wet through from the inside out after 1/2 hour anyway, plus lots of stream/river crossings here, so just just normal riding gear for me and an Enduro jacket and gloves in the winter, I never wear waterproofs, if I get cold I just ride harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts