KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why i ask are the XC-W's so much cheaper than the EXC,s? What av i missed? Performance/bling or what?

Enlighten me :rolleyes:

Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
my mates got a 2010 xcwf 250, ive got a excf 250, chalk and cheese boys.

the xcw-f gears are a hell of a lot shorter than the exc, they pull a lot harder and seem to be a lot more twitchy if that makes any sense.

bloody good bike for the money though.

oh and his is an american market bike bought at the start of the year, one of the first over here i beleive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
meant to say the gearing on them is meant to be somewhere between the exc and the sx, but i think more like the sx.

he got it from drysedales in perth brand new otr a grand cheaper than the exc.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So wouldnt be too clever to do many road miles? Are they 6-speed still? Same size tank etc? Fing is i dont have a trailer (yet) so a few road miles would be necessary to get to some different lanes. They are just soooo tempting price-wise...some bloody good deals to be had with plenty of bling (cans etc) thrown in. Its like they just dont sell, are un-popular or jus crap :rolleyes:

A grand is a lot to save on a spanker. Used prices are ridiculous right now too esp considering the type of life these things have.

Anyone else have know their onions or have experiance on these things?

Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
yeah there 6 speed still bud and actualy not to bad on the tarmac, but as always aint that comfy to do a long ride on the road.

his gearing is way different to mine though, i take the hill climb at our local track in 2nd where as he is tanking up there in fourth, go figure.

it just seems to have endless torque to the point where the front can be poped no probs in top.
i,m buying his next summer when he gets his 2011. good times:D:D

oh and its got the e-start too, i love that wee button when your picking it up for the 10th time

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soz for so many questions but are maintenance schedules etc same too? Jus the gearing different or motor differences? Im likin the fact its a bit more aggressive gearing wise but in real world scenario im no racer and will be pootlin the lanes whilst being laughed at. Wont be doin many road miles at all, an the ones i do i will be gentle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
my mate who will remain nameless had just started riding after an 18yr break and jummped straight on the xcw, all he does at the mo is follow me and try to keep up,

it will only go as quick as you want it to.

as for service, if used in competition, oil and filter every three hours (only 1 filter on the xcw-f and 1.25 liters of oil) no separate gear box tank.
if used for green laning and messing around on every 10 hours for oil and filter.

we get the piss ripped all the time but he makes me look fast its the only reason i hang around with him...lol (only joking if you read this bud :) )

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez my google-fu is really failing me tonight....one more Q

Is there a diff between the XC-W and the XC-F? I'll piss off after this one :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
:eek::D no worries bud, not sure what the difference will be if any,

i know dudes is an xcf-w or is it wxc-f or it could be xcw-f :D

mine ( which looks totaly different now, fitted clocks head and tail light, brush gaurds, new graffix etc)

dudes

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
250 XCF-W is exactly same motor, gearbox suspension as the 250 EXC-F. Silencer is straight through on the XCF-W and jetted to suit. XCF-W has a simple loom with just on/off light switch, no main beam or brake lights or horn.

250 XCF has an SX motor and gearbox, but with electric start. Suspension is SX as well. Gearbox is close ratio. It comes with a sidestand and no lights but you can plug the XCF-W lights into it.

Similar story with the 450. EXCF-W is basically an EXC-R, XCF is an SXF with a sidestand.

That top photo is the RFS engined 250 EXC Racing, a totally different beast.... well, not a beast at all. No good if you have thick skin on your rice pudding cos it cant pull it off ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
250 XCF-W is exactly same motor, gearbox suspension as the 250 EXC-F. Silencer is straight through on the XCF-W and jetted to suit. XCF-W has a simple loom with just on/off light switch, no main beam or brake lights or horn.

250 XCF has an SX motor and gearbox, but with electric start. Suspension is SX as well. Gearbox is close ratio. It comes with a sidestand and no lights but you can plug the XCF-W lights into it.

Similar story with the 450. EXCF-W is basically an EXC-R, XCF is an SXF with a sidestand.

That top photo is the RFS engined 250 EXC Racing, a totally different beast.... well, not a beast at all. No good if you have thick skin on your rice pudding cos it cant pull it off ;)
cheers for that bud glad someone knows what there on about. xcf-w and the exc-f have totaly diferent gearboxes as explained to me at the dealers, agree motor is the same however,
xcf-w g/box is somewhere inbetween the sx-f and exc-f, again as stated by the dealer,

as for the rfs engined 250, nowt wrong with the power if tuned and set up correctly and that wee bike has shown up quiet a few newer bikes, as the saying goes it aint the size its what you do with it that counts.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts