KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im new to SM bikes after just having road bikes so need some advice, when i bought my bike it has the SM wheels fitted but i want to fit the off road ones to check that the are ok as im ment to be using them over the weekend.

People have mentioned using a trolley jack or stacked up stones but im unsure as to how safe this is??

Im skint so dont have the option of buying a stand so any help would be great

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Trolley jack, a couple of upturned and stacked milk crates....pretty much any sturdy and flat topped surface will do. Just shimmy the bike onto it and bobs your mother's brother :D

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
shimy the bike off the jack??

sorry to sound so dense here but this is all very new
Shimmy the bike onto crates or the like or with a jack place a decent piece of ply under the frame and then jack it up. If you move the balancing point of the jack ever so slightly under the bike, you'll be able to lift the front or the back wheel, not both wheels at the same time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use two stacks of 4 bricks with a piece of 4x2 between. If I could work out how to put pictures up i would.
1. Put 1 stack of bricks about 18 inches out from a point just in front of the right peg.
2.Put second stack in similar place on left.
3.Put bike between with 4x2 on right stack angled down in front of oil filter.
4. Standing on the right tilt bike slightly towards you and wheel forward.
5. Steady bike with one hand while lifting 4x2 onto second stack with right.

I have used this systen for 3 years now and it has worked really well. It is more than stable enough to do wheel changes. On my 640 when she is up you can shuffle the bike back and forwards around the balance point so that the front or back whell is off the ground. When she is up you can even get a second 4x2 in which gives enough support to be able to get both wheels out at the same time.

I know this sounds like a lot of buggering about but it is simpler that it sounds and gives good results.

Moby.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just shimmy the bike onto it and bobs your mother's brother :D
Just buy a shimmy .. they sound a lot cheaper and you might be able to get a coloured co-ordnated one for ya bike :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts