KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did your 950sm fuel pumps fail? My late 2007 950 has done about 6500m, how long before I need to start worrying? Has anyone got a higher mileage 950 and had no problems in this area or is it a forgone thing that it's going to go tits up? All info much appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are a lot of issues with them over on ADVrider,points seem to fail,dont know why though.
The ZX6R runs a mitsubishi pump with no problems,guy i know has clocked up nearly 70000miles on his 6R with original pump,then again they dont go through streams like they do with the 950 adventure!

·
Registered
194 Posts
How do you know when its going? I think mine might be now 56 plate done 13k, it makes a "glugging" noise when i turn the ignition on and now and again it back fires and skips a beat only on 3/4 to full throttle though. It seems to stop after a few miles though.

How much would a new one cost me and is there a better one i could fit?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Fookin hell i have 07 950sm with 9000 miles on it and was looking to change mine as i thought everyones went then.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
06 950sm 16k miles no problems. Glad to see I'm not the only one with "high" miles. Saying that, if the were Advs they would barely be broken in....

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
06 950 SM, fuel pump failed at 15 000 kms (about 9500mls) and was changed under warranty. Now 26 500 kms (16 500 mls) and works fine.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My 57 plate 950sm has travelled nearly 5000 miles and no problems, I think iam in more danger of the seals perishing in my pump!
I know that the ADV men who use them off road are more suspect to pump damage as theres is mounted under the front engine guard which does get submerged in all kinds of shite

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
1 fuel pump failed at 14k. Another failed at 21. There are 3 failure modes - point erosion, corrosion and piston seize.

Depends how much you like being stranded in the middle of nowhere ... if you have more than 15k on the pump and youre planning a big trip, at the very least Id carry along a spare.
Alternatively, for about 60-70 squid you can replace it with a Facet 40171 fuel pump and not have to worry about it again.

This same fuel pump is also on the Africa Twin - and was well known for failing. Failure of this mitsubishi pump is inevitable - just a matter of time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine died about 12000 miles (06 950 SM) , replaced it with a Facet, no probs since, 22300 now.
They're supposed to make a gurgling sound when you turn on the ignition.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The points in mine were completely worn out at 11K miles. Replaced them and bike has run sweet ever since. Not sure why but the fuel pump issue caused the bike to run on one cylinder, prresumably because of starvation of one carb? This leads me to think it could potentially run weak when the pump is on it's way out?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts