KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
It was just a holiday. I'll try to get pics n vids off the other lads as i forget /CBA to take pics etc :)

We watched the prolog, one or two gold sections on the 1st day (1/2 hour ish each stop) and the final hill climb and went trailriding ....

The trail ride was fantastic, we did quite a lot of the 1st and 2nd days route as they were close to Sibiu and were close together, the hills and riding is like Wales but on a massive scale.

The atmosphere in town was great, deffo doing it again.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The riding is amazing isn't it. People can't understand the sheer scale of the hills till you go out. Hillclimbs that last up to an hour in places, so much fun!

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
The riding is amazing isn't it. People can't understand the sheer scale of the hills till you go out. Hillclimbs that last up to an hour in places, so much fun!
yeah, they are mahooosive, keep going on and on and on

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
It was just a holiday. I'll try to get pics n vids off the other lads as i forget /CBA to take pics etc :)

We watched the prolog, one or two gold sections on the 1st day (1/2 hour ish each stop) and the final hill climb and went trailriding ....

The trail ride was fantastic, we did quite a lot of the 1st and 2nd days route as they were close to Sibiu and were close together, the hills and riding is like Wales but on a massive scale.

The atmosphere in town was great, deffo doing it again.
You take your bike or do a trail package? Thinking of doing it with a few next year as a package during event.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Though I am very interested in seeing sTumos pics/vids I'd say lets get back to the thread's headline.

Enöckl's TPI broke down, but we dont know what it was. An Enduro magazine presumed it was a problem with the FI as his bike was running rougher and rougher the higher he climbed. As they could fix it, it was probably a sensor or something minor. Anyway, not good for KTM's reputation.

Currently there are big discussions why KTM/Husky dont put a single A-rider (Grimbo, Walker, Gomez, Bolts ...) on a TPI bike. The argument that the riders wont try something new mid season is BS. Last year the EXC was defo a brand new bike, everything except wheels and a few bits and bolts were barnd new. And every pro used them. Now that "only" the mixture preparation has changed no one rides one... strange.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Picking up my husky 300 tpi on thursday ! spoke to them today there are having problems unlocking the ecu on the first tpi which is going through the workshop, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! going to run it in thursday/friday and spend this weekend out on it ,will post my thoughts soon .Ned

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Picking up my husky 300 tpi on thursday ! spoke to them today there are having problems unlocking the ecu on the first tpi which is going through the workshop, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! going to run it in thursday/friday and spend this weekend out on it ,will post my thoughts soon .Ned
Looking forward reading your thoughts :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
steveman;5181194 Currently there are big discussions why KTM/Husky dont put a single A-rider (Grimbo said:
My thoughts on this are, that the TPI is such a massive change, that no one that has a world championship hanging on a 100% reliable bike, will take take chance until this technology is well proven in the field. Ie, us lot have bought thousands of them and ironed out the faults.
Early days, but so far, all the reports are a lot better than I thought they would be :)

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
All they want to do is win races. If everyone is on the same sort of bike ie-carb, they all stand an equal chance. But riding a new type of bike ie-FI is risky,especially mid season. So until they are forced to use the new unproven technology in race conditions and have had time for testing in the off season, I think they will stick to what they know. Because Im sure as racers, they see no advantage of a fuel injected bike at the moment.
Its heavier and they want the hit. Why race a heavier bike than everyone else and risk a break down? FI is for the masses at the moment.

The 2017 EXC wasnt a completely new bike, it had a carburetor. Like the rest of the field.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finished Bronze Romaniacs on one, here is my take on the bike; I have a 2017 xcw 300 that is as sorted as I can get it, re jetted, Vforce reed and S3 head (and still not where I would like it), so I this is what I will compare it to.

The power delivery is not ideal for hard enduro, it feels like a lean carb bike down low with less lug ability, and then it builds revs very quickly with no real hit but lots of urgency. It works very well for fast stuff but takes lots of throttle control for slow stuff, it is allergic to stalling to the point that one feels quite desperate on a climb when you are too tired to control the clutch and throttle properly and it just wants to keep pulling, I realise that this sounds contradictory to my observations on lugability, but it has a very narrow "lug band" and a very broad "power band" It starts easily when warm and will idle all day no matter how steep, or long the downhill, it will just not die or load up.

Handling wise it feels light and responsive the extra weight is not felt at all, I ran my own suspension so can't comment on that first hand, but a mate ran standard and loved it.

It is light on fuel and I was able to skip alternate tank points.

I think it is the best of both worlds with the best of four stroke and two stroke traits, it has heaps of potential, and I think the future of two strokes is bright.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another observation on the power characteristics; it will rev freely and when you hold the throttle at a given position it is very controllable, it will not surge, provided traction is constant, so it makes for hero wheelies and pivot turns. And there is zero spooge at the tail pipe no matter how you ride, even after 65km of tar at speeds of up to 110km/hr, which is when my 17 blows all the accumulated un burnt oil out the back.

It is not all roses though and I did hear of some bikes misbehaving, I think at pro level they require more clutching and I know of one top ten rider who had to replace the clutch pack twice during the event.

And a mate who raced a 250tpi in gold could not get to grips with the power delivery, and could not find traction as the power delivery is very sudden.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Great to hear some honest reviews on it, rather than a load of speculation about how it's either total shite, or the most perfect bike ever.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Finished Bronze Romaniacs on one, here is my take on the bike; I have a 2017 xcw 300 that is as sorted as I can get it, re jetted, Vforce reed and S3 head (and still not where I would like it), so I this is what I will compare it to.

The power delivery is not ideal for hard enduro, it feels like a lean carb bike down low with less lug ability, and then it builds revs very quickly with no real hit but lots of urgency. It works very well for fast stuff but takes lots of throttle control for slow stuff, it is allergic to stalling to the point that one feels quite desperate on a climb when you are too tired to control the clutch and throttle properly and it just wants to keep pulling, I realise that this sounds contradictory to my observations on lugability, but it has a very narrow "lug band" and a very broad "power band" It starts easily when warm and will idle all day no matter how steep, or long the downhill, it will just not die or load up.

Handling wise it feels light and responsive the extra weight is not felt at all, I ran my own suspension so can't comment on that first hand, but a mate ran standard and loved it.

It is light on fuel and I was able to skip alternate tank points.

I think it is the best of both worlds with the best of four stroke and two stroke traits, it has heaps of potential, and I think the future of two strokes is bright.
im not a romaniacs rider im a sportsman slow rider, i have a lectron carb,,you described how my bike is to my bf exact same bike he has a carb...lectron is good but when i ride the carbed version his runs sweet...just not got the zap!! dont matter to me as im not doing monster climbs ...but i might go back to a carb...i know i know women changing their minds :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Another observation on the power characteristics; it will rev freely and when you hold the throttle at a given position it is very controllable, it will not surge, provided traction is constant, so it makes for hero wheelies and pivot turns. And there is zero spooge at the tail pipe no matter how you ride, even after 65km of tar at speeds of up to 110km/hr, which is when my 17 blows all the accumulated un burnt oil out the back.

It is not all roses though and I did hear of some bikes misbehaving, I think at pro level they require more clutching and I know of one top ten rider who had to replace the clutch pack twice during the event.

And a mate who raced a 250tpi in gold could not get to grips with the power delivery, and could not find traction as the power delivery is very sudden.

I imagine with time they could map to suit mot preferences for power delivery. I can't wait to ride one, but on the other hand I defo can't afford one so might be worth not knowing!

·
Registered
6,936 Posts

So far I do believe everything you say, you must know better as you've got one. Its just that last sentence puzzling me as I heard exactly the opposite several times, that especially the 250 creates incredible traction. The dyno graph from the other thread (Burger72's 250 TPI) supports that theory as well as what the Erzberg testers said. And I have also heard the same from a German rider who rode both, the 250 and the 300. But, I am not going to argue and I am not saying you're not right. I just say I heard exactly the opposite and that puzzles me. Especially because I've ordered a 250 because the Erzberg guys said it makes less power but better traction than the 300...

Well, I'll see as soon as I get mine anyway. In the German forum it has been said today from a few guys that at the Romaniacs allegedly many TPI bikes had serious trouble with their ECU's and KTM did replace many of them. I am not sure if that's serious information as I cant imagine that KTM came there with a van full with ECU's and a mate who was there didnt see one single TPI bike. In gold class on pos 17 there is one TPI 300.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is a personal review from a guy from Bosnia

- Forks are good
- Brakes are good
- Fuel economy is not any better than carbed version
- Very linear power
- Does not need to clutch
- Bike is good on lower and mid revs
- Does not loose traction in 1st gear
- On full speed and let throttle out, sounds lean, but no problem?!?!
- Perfect bike, loves it
- If people say its not working and it is shit, then say “fuck off”
- Good for technical
- Very fun
- Fast delivery of power
- Sometimes different than carb, but need more hours to get used to it
- Not the same as carbed 2 stroke - something between 4stroke and 2stroke

21 - 40 of 1914 Posts