KTM Owners Forum banner

1901 - 1914 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Got 18 hours on my 300 tpi now, haven't used it as much as planned due to weather, injury, work and other shit but enough to give my thoughts.
First off the bike is a complete mud trap more so than other ktms I've had it get a in everywhere and can't get out the front sprocket guard is the biggest culprit so id budget a aftermarket case saver into your purchase.
The radiator guards need removing after pretty much every ride because they hold shit and grass etc.
To put it into perspective after a very muddy 3 hour race I spent a full day stripping and cleaning the bike but I am very ocd so if your not bothered it won't be a problem for you.
The gearbox isn't up To Japanese standard up shifts without clutch is still hit and miss and neutral is an illusive gear that doesn't seem to exist while running like all other ktms.
Build quality is ok but I think it's gotten worse when compared to my 16 sx.
The engine is unbelievably good I've had the first remap done along with the oil tank and it's astonishing.
Always runs crisp never loads up and has a top end that's on par with my 250sx don't listen to the bollocks some sprout about feeling down on power.
I did look into the barrel through the exhaust port and the piston did look slightly more worn than I would expect for 18 hours but never seen a carb piston to compare and the majority are hard mx style hours.
But if I only get 50 hours from a piston as opposed to 100 from carb then the trade off is how well it runs in comparison.
Overall I am happy with the engine and injection system but not so with the build quality and design.
I was thinking of selling up for a Honda but can't be bothered with hassle and risk of private sale and dealers take the piss so I'll keep it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Surprised that they didn’t fit the fan kit to these as stock....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I said that, but told it’s still an extra. If you look at all the pre production Bike they all have fans fitted. I’m sure they run leaner, so it will get hotter. I’ve had no issues after fitting the fan kit. Let’s see what the summer brings.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Until I can afford one (convince the Mrs to let me buy one ) I’m working on my own hybrid option - 300 with fan kit and Lectron.... will let you know how that works out when the latter arrives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update on my engine malfunction lamp issue...diagnostic tool didn’t show any failure and mechanic haven’t found nothing special what can cause lamp turning on. The most useful advice I got is from other TPI owner working in KTM shop which was clean all electrical components pins and spray them with WD40 so they will stay out of corrosion and conductive.
So what is new - I have my high tech motorcycle up to date (latest map) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thinking about changing my well carbed 250 to 300TPI, have some doubts though. What I am looking after is a bit more power and torque and cleaner running (currently living with the 1/8 throttle burble). Current setup has VForce4R and Gnarly pipe, runs well and has loads of torque. Have heard that the TPI bikes (even or especially the 300) are missing the down low torque and needs to be revved its tits off for power. So if changing to 300TPI, will I feel like I have lost the torque? Are the TPIs already reliable enough so that I can throw my money in on one?

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Ive no regrets i think its the best 300 to date, by a mile
I dont think youll be disapointed you do have to make riding style adjustments as this thing is fast it rips 13/50 gearing was to fiesty for me spinning up everywhere so have settled on 14/50 on the soft map and im happy i know people who run 12/50 and say its awesome
Obviously because you cant really tweak the powervalve to customise the delivery other than spring changes screwing around with gearing really helps this is a fantastic bike im buying a 20 the 17 was great the 18 is better the 19 is a further improvement, you have to be on top of maintenence on these bikes and you wont have any problems

·
Registered
589 Posts
I found the map switch makes a bigger difference on the TPI. You can play with two options on the throttle cam. I haven’t heard of any read valve issues. The Bike just runs like a very well set up carb’ed bike, without the annoying little things like on down hills. They run hotter, so fan kit is a must in my opinion. Only slightly better on fuel, not as good as was published.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
...currently living with the 1/8 throttle burble. Current setup has VForce4R and Gnarly pipe, runs well and has loads of torque.
This has been solved already and requires installing the S1 needle jet combined with the thin JD-needle. Alternative is the OEM S4 kit, its also running well but not as good as the aforementioned combination.

Have heard that the TPI bikes (even or especially the 300) are missing the down low torque and needs to be revved its tits off for power. So if changing to 300TPI, will I feel like I have lost the torque?
What you have heard is probably what the sister of your mates best friend has heard. In fact its total BS. The 300TPI has lots more torque from down low over the whole rev range. I could ride the latest 300TPI model totally standard but with newest map versus the 250 TPI which was delivered in 2017 and also had the map updates. The 300 has far more grunt but the 250 was standard, meaning no gnarly or fatty pipe.

Are the TPIs already reliable enough so that I can throw my money in on one?
No, but that's my personal opinion. 99 others will say yes, buy one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This has been solved already and requires installing the S1 needle jet combined with the thin JD-needle. Alternative is the OEM S4 kit, its also running well but not as good as the aforementioned combination.
I guess the S1 needle jet needs to be bought separetely and is not included in the JD Jetting kit. Besides that, the only place to get the JD kit is from the US so shipping & toll & tax costs will get price pretty high. In addition to this the burble is present only when using constant throttle, e.g. when cruising on the road and I try to avoid this as much as possible. The gnarly pipe cleaned the burble but it is still present, no biggie though. I guess no 2T can go with constant throttle without some burble, or then it is lean as hell and can not be used in racing.

No, but that's my personal opinion. 99 others will say yes, buy one.
I really value your opinion, I am also a bit sceptic myself. But anyway, the dice has been cast and I already asked an offer what it would cost to swap bikes. If the price is reasonable, I will probably bite the bullet and see how it goes :smokin:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I guess the S1 needle jet needs to be bought separetely and is not included in the JD Jetting kit. Besides that, the only place to get the JD kit is from the US so shipping & toll & tax costs will get price pretty high. In addition to this the burble is present only when using constant throttle, e.g. when cruising on the road and I try to avoid this as much as possible. The gnarly pipe cleaned the burble but it is still present, no biggie though. I guess no 2T can go with constant throttle without some burble, or then it is lean as hell and can not be used in racing.
Yes, the S1 needle jet is not included in the JD kit but it doesn't cost a fortune. You can order the JD kits from Europe which reduces the shipping costs. Bergos in Germany or Enduro4You also in Germany sell them.
What you describe is not the low down burble which is so hard to solve and effects every single bike using the Mikuni with standard set up. The burble or better stutter you describe is more or less normal for a two stroke on constant throttle. I dare say it is impossible to get that corrected in every gear and under every possible constant load. Its not a big problem, the bike just 4-strokes, especially in higher gears with low revs.

I really value your opinion, I am also a bit sceptic myself. But anyway, the dice has been cast and I already asked an offer what it would cost to swap bikes. If the price is reasonable, I will probably bite the bullet and see how it goes :smokin:
Hehe... no problem at all, I am a bit like that myself so cant blame you really ;) If you get one, have fun with it! :scooter:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had the pleasure of riding a 19 Tpi 300 I’m wales a month ago and it’s a beaut of a bike for sure and imo nicer and easier than the 250 Tpi, as good as the fuelling is it still have a small 1/8 burble at small constant throttle when cruising or on road sections, what is nice is there is little to no pipe bang or run on like a carb can offer have.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I rode a 19 250 and 300 TPI last week and whilst the 300 is silky smooth and almost graceful I did feel that it could catch me out after a long day. For that reason I think (but still not 100%) that I would go for the 250.

1901 - 1914 of 1914 Posts