KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I currently ride a Ducati Monster 1200, and used to have a Multistrada. I want to get back onto a taller bike - I'm not getting any younger and my knees don't seem to bend like they used to! Something adv capable is very appealing, and something I can tour on is a must. The 990 Adventure really appeals, and there seem to be a few really reasonably priced bikes around that look to be in decent shape, with a good spec.

So a few questions!

I've not owned a KTM before. The idea of a non-mainstream brand really appeals, but I know almost nothing about the bikes. Are they reliable? What pitfalls are there? Should I watch out for anything specific? What are they like for home servicing (I don't mind wielding spanners).

Finally, should I consider a 1090? I've only discounted those because I prefer the looks of the 990! And yes, I know that's probably not a very good reason! Also, mainly, the 990 is crucially cheaper.

I'd ideally like something with luggage, although that's not essential. I might do some light trails, and I'll probably want extras like a comfy seat, heated grips, and a couple of power outlets.

Any advice sincerely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Nik

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If you can find a nice 1190 it might be worth considering. I've had mine from new for 3 years and had zero bother. It spends about half its time off-tarmac.

I service it myself, and it's easy enough. I did set mine up from new to avoid the known issues like the leaky airbox (fitted Powercell Pods), but I'm not sure how much of an issue the leaky airbox really was.

I prefer the non-R version as it has better road manners, and is just as good offroad as the R. It's the massive weight that is the limiting factor offroad and outweighs (forgive the pun) the offroad features added to the R like the bigger wheels, etc.

The heated grips on mine work great, it has a power outlet, seat's comfy enough for me. Luggage options are massive. I just strap a duffel bag to the back for offroad trips. Use the panniers sometimes for road trips, but still prefer the ease and flexibility of a big duffel.

I'm sure every owner of every other model of KTM will be here soon to recommend theirs, so take it all with a pinch of salt. But overall, I've found KTMs (I have two) to just work and work well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Sir!

Hadn't actually considered an 1190 - I didn't think they'd be within the sort of price range I've been looking at (£7-8k max, but ideally £5-6k), but I suspect I'd enjoy the extra torque. I've been a bit spoiled by the Monster, and I'm worried a 990 might feel a bit flat.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Hi & Welcome Nik

Where are you in Devon?
I'm just over the border in Chard.

+1 on the 1190. I bought one earlier this year and also have a 990 Superduke, the 1190 engine is way better. It makes more power, has longer service intervals and returns better MPG... what's not to like. I've never liked to look of the 990 Adv so it wasn't a tough choice for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weirdly I actually really like the look of the 990, better than the newer models!

I'm in Bovey Tracey, on the edge of Dartmoor, although my other half lives near Sherborne, so I know the roads in between well!

Seems like there are a few deals about on new unregistered 1090 models. Would I be better getting a used 1190 or a new 1090? I can't help thinking it might be worth finding an 1190 that someone else has fitted all the shiny bits on, to save me the cost. Although new bike appeal is strong.

In spite of all of the above, this looks pretty nice:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-990-ADVENTURE-ABS-FULL-LUGGAGE/173672962002

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Well... I choose the 1190.

I wanted the extra power and the electrically adjustable suspension, which discounted the 1090 for me. So I bought a low mileage 1190 that is in 'as new' condition.... I did look at the 1290 briefly but soon came back to 1190.

TBH it seems like your heart is set on the 990 Adv, so get one!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not set really, I just think they look nicer than the later models!

Used to have electronically adjustable suspension on my Multistrada, and loved it. Cool feature to have.

I guess a 990 would be a bit more old school - rather a more basic feel to it, which I'm not averse to. The extra power of a 1090 or 1190 would be good though!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I moved from a 990 to an 1190S last year, and to me at least, the 1190 is just better at everything I do on it. It's faster, smoother, comfier, handles slightly better (my 990 had 17/19 tubeless wheels on it), stops WAY better, has a heated seat, has better MPG...the list goes on.

I did love my 990 but I'm so glad I had the cash last year to move up to the 1190. It was a very wise move.

D.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a fine looking beast!

Heated seat is the thing keeping me in my car this time of year - maybe that's the feature that'll swing it for me!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I moved from a 990 to an 1190S last year, and to me at least, the 1190 is just better at everything I do on it. It's faster, smoother, comfier, handles slightly better (my 990 had 17/19 tubeless wheels on it), stops WAY better, has a heated seat, has better MPG...the list goes on.

I did love my 990 but I'm so glad I had the cash last year to move up to the 1190. It was a very wise move.

D.
That is a very, very nice looking bike! You're giving me the itch to sell my SMT for one... I'll have to go out for a ride later to get that thought out of my head!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nik - I own a 1190S and am in Torquay if you want to pop down and try it for size and make brrm brrm noises. I've got pretty much everything on it so you can see the options. Personally, despite not having ridden the 1090, I can't see anything else that comes close on the cost per smiles equation.

I had a carb'd 950ADV and the 1190 is a couple of generations further on - it really is a different bike and I suspect the 990 rides in a similar way to the 950.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
the new 790R adventure seems to be good value for money at the minute, you should look at them too!!!

:D ready for the onslaught.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nik - I own a 1190S and am in Torquay if you want to pop down and try it for size and make brrm brrm noises. I've got pretty much everything on it so you can see the options. Personally, despite not having ridden the 1090, I can't see anything else that comes close on the cost per smiles equation.

I had a carb'd 950ADV and the 1190 is a couple of generations further on - it really is a different bike and I suspect the 990 rides in a similar way to the 950.
Thank you Ming - can I call you Ming? I assume it's your real name!!

I suspect that my budget might dictate a 990 for the time being - which might not be an awful thing really.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Ok serious answer. A 1190 or 1090 is a far far superior touring bike than a 990. The latter is agricultural in comparison. People will wax lyrical about 990's but pragmatically, the new bikes are world's apart in terms of comfort, space, speed, torque, handling. Plenty of the newer bikes about too on the used market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok serious answer. A 1190 or 1090 is a far far superior touring bike than a 990. The latter is agricultural in comparison. People will wax lyrical about 990's but pragmatically, the new bikes are world's apart in terms of comfort, space, speed, torque, handling. Plenty of the newer bikes about too on the used market.
Quite agree - ultimately it's down to budget. The question is what adv bike can I get on for £6-7k?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts