KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent posted on here for a while since I sold my KTM exc 250 before I got pregnant last year.

I've now had my baby and want to get another bike, but really struggling with what to get. I had an 03 EXC before and it was a bit of a dog but that didn't matter as it got me started on green lanes and I also did some enduroland events too.

I've decided I'll predominantly be using the bike for visits to enduroland, and local mx tracks such as Tormarton (J18 M4), Cardiff and maybe Apex in the midlands...thats where a friend rides and I'll probably tag along with her.

I'm not interested in green lanes anymore - can't be bothered with tax and insurance etc. But I am new to mx.

So, what do I get? I've got £2k to spend. Should I stick to an EXC or maybe try a mx bike?

Any advice is gratefully received

S

·
Registered
987 Posts
welcome back mummy ;) my advice would be to try both if poss :smokin: Although the £2k mark can be hit or miss. For that money, look for less owners on the V5 and recreational use only.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, so after spending all night searching the net for the answer to this question, I may have been tempted to buy a 2t 125...

who knows about these?

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
The motor has not changed for almost 10 years, so parts are easy to get. Go and listen to a few to get to know what is a normal rattle and what is a bad.
Expect it to have had a few rebuilds in its life.

Usual stuff like air cleaner and airbox condition, rounded off bolts etc will tell you if its loved or wrecked.

·
Registered
293 Posts
bit of a dog?

Hi Shelley, i'm the bloke you sold the "bit of a dog" to but don't worry....it was a great bike :scooter:.

In the search for more power and with help from this forum (especially KIY) i uprated it to a 350 and the 250 internals were like new, well looked after although i have to agree it was a bit scruffy when i got it:rolleyes:

After a good clean and shaving the seat i repainted the frame (black instead of silver) and got rid of the random stickers and then the 350 kit was added turning it into a bit of a beast :666:

Would you be happy kickstarting?
or
would you want a 'lecky start' model?

I know 2 strokes are fairly easy to start but MX bikes are quite tall and could be awkward to start for someone who is vertically challenged (like me:p). If you think back to me buying your "bit of a dog" it was to get access to a 'lecky start' as i couldn't get my XR250 going again after falling off it on the muddy trails.

Good luck with your choice

Ian

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear it's still going strong! I loved that bike but it was something I could just ride and not worry about getting damaged. It never missed a beat though and like you said the engine was well looked after. The thing that puts me off something similar is the squishy suspension, for jumps and quick turns. The EXC was very forgiving but I fancy something different.

Can you get 4t mx bikes with leccy start?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Shelley, i sold it a few months ago and bought a Honda CRF450X as i do mostly trail riding and as we also have a CRF450R and some supermoto wheels shared between us for tarmac fun (my son rides the MX bike)

I personally wouldn't be without a 'lecky start' as my dodgy right knee and general 56 years of wear and tear rules out 'kicking' a bike up!!!

I have started going to the MX tracks with them though and have even managed to learn the basics of jumping even though the 'X' model is not an MX'er

My son on the 450 MX bike

If you are deffo not going road registered with the replacement i think the KTM SX125 you mentioned would be great for you on the MX practice tracks

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi, the exc are not good for mx unless you want to spend a few hundred quid revalving your suspension as it wont take the jumps, and flat out over rutted straights is pretty hairy too , the sx range is cheaper and set up for what you want already, i lasted 1 season racing moto cross on a exc after rideing hare and hounds and enduros for years on them,

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A friend of mine threw a spanner in the works...sayin that due to m season ending and notany tracks opening in the winter due to weather, maybe I'd be better with an enduro??? Aaarrrggghhh dunno what to do!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do MX tracks close for the winter?

I don't think so Shelley, not around here anyway. I take the lads over to Fat Cat motoparc (Doncaster== 85ms each way) and its always open and well worth the £25 to get on. Go [www.mxtrax.co.uk] and ask them before deciding on a bike that doesn't do what you want it to. And you can make the SX road legal with a daytime MOT and a bit of paperwork if you want to.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not sure if it's too late to throw my tuppence worth in but just found this thread.
I have a wee 125sx I use on the tracks and can honestly say it's ideal. Plenty of power for buzzing round most tracks. If you don't want to go on the road why go for a more road based model? As stated as long as you get the COC you can road register it. KTM will supply this free of charge and road registering also allows you to insure the bike. I have never done an enduro but wouldn't hesitate to try it on the SX. Depending on your weight you can get a harder or softer rear spring to tweek out the suspension and unless you are doing 40ft jump (in which case you wouldn't be asking what bike questions) the stock suspension can be dialled in to suit your preferences and riding terrain.
Cheap maintenance compared to the 4 strokes and very easy to start hot or cold. Being an fellow girl the weight for picking the thing back up may also be an issue for you. I struggled when i dropped my 250excf whereas the SX is easy to lift (and hold up to kickstart when your knackered).
If I had to decide between an SX or EXC based on your preferred style of riding I would say the SX 2 stroke would be the model I'd choose and with 2k you will still find plenty of decent 07 onwards models.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your replies. I bought a 2007 exc-f in the end and absolutely love it! I've done a couple of Enduroland events, and the bike is brilliant. The leccy start didn't work for the first few weeks and I found no problem kicking it over while trying to balance on a rock or tree root.

Some friends rode it (who are quicker and more experienced) and said the bike handles well and has loads of power if I needed it.

Ady Smith set the suspension up for me and now I can't wait to ride
it loads.

Thanks again for all your
replies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts