KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are both around the same price. Apart from galfer do the centre hubs in orange (because KTM) and im not finding any comparisons for each disc. Then which pads to go with the discs?

All i know is not EBC!!

Help Needed!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you changing them because the old ones are past min. thickness or due to vibration/imbalance?

Vibration can sometimes be fixed.

Otherwise OEM is Brembo, which is a safe bet to stick with OEM pads too.

Galfer have a good reputation and have been around for a long time but personally I'd stick with the originals.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you changing them because the old ones are past min. thickness or due to vibration/imbalance?

Vibration can sometimes be fixed.

Otherwise OEM is Brembo, which is a safe bet to stick with OEM pads too.

Galfer have a good reputation and have been around for a long time but personally I'd stick with the originals.
Ive managed to warp mine and have had them like it for too long! Just want a comparison

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are they actually warped, or is it possible you've got really bad pad deposits, misaligned brake caliper(s) or axle, or dirt stuck under the bobbins?

I've known people throw new discs on for no reason and the old sets were perfectly straight when laid on glass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they actually warped, or is it possible you've got really bad pad deposits, misaligned brake caliper(s) or axle, or dirt stuck under the bobbins?

I've known people throw new discs on for no reason and the old sets were perfectly straight when laid on glass.
Stupid question but how would i check for all mentioned? Take them off and check each one for how flat it lays to start?

·
Registered
72 Posts
With the front wheel safely off the ground, you would use a dial test indicator just brushing the disk, spinning the wheel slowly, if the runout is out of spec then the disc could be warped or have brake pad deposits baked on.

It's not worth taking the wheel out at this stage, but you could use a flat glass surface and feeler gauges to check the straightness of the friction surfaces, not sure what Brembo or KTM specs are without checking but typically 0.08mm would be on the large side.

You could try and remove pad deposits by doing a few hard stops from high speed.

If the bobbins are dirty then clean them up with brake cleaner. If they are sticking or have offset then the floating outer disc can stick or cause caliper drag.

When radial calipers are remounted you should slightly tighten them, then apply brake pressure to seat the calipers and pads centrally then torque up the caliper bolts. E.g

Front axle pinch bolts can be loosened, then bounce the front end by pumping the fork up and down on the brakes to align the axle, then tighten them back up.

If you have vernier calipers, then you could accurately check the thickness of the disk at many points, but they usually also have a depth gauge which could be rigged up to check runout. Digital verniers are cheap (sub £10) these days, worth investing in a set.

Where to start in any of that would depend on the symptom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are both around the same price. Apart from galfer do the centre hubs in orange (because KTM) and im not finding any comparisons for each disc. Then which pads to go with the discs?

All i know is not EBC!!

Help Needed!
Hi
just had the same issue myself Regarding disc choice.

i thought if I’m going to change it might as well be an upgrade although there nothing wrong with the original set up.

I decided on the power parts galfer with standard brembo pads as these discs are an upgrade from OE but I found out the power parts discs are no longer available anywhere.
Then I decided on Galfer (non KTM) but the upgrade to their waved and grooved discs (I forget the name) these are a special order which I did but then was told these are also not available.

so after much searching and getting knowhere I decided to stick with Brembo and Ended up with their HPK super sport discs and Brembo SC racing pads (bike is only used on track)
I can’t comment yet on what performance Is like as it won’t be used until April.

cheers Mick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts