KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats best for me .

been riding 26 years , just changed from 950 smr to mv 1090 but fancy getting back into greenlaning ,

my last outing was on a 84 xt 600 ten kick only which was probably why it was my last outing .

bike would also have to commute 25 mile round trip for at least a couple of months a year

And all for £1500 absolute max.

Would like it to be a ktm if poss as ive already got a cap ....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
a worn ktm 525 would do you but for that price you will need to be good with the spanners, id also recomend junking the mv and spending the cash on a newer 400exc
just done 120 miles of greenlanes today on my trusty 200 2smoke you could pic them up cheap i paid 1400 for mine duno that id comute on one 25 mile ait far why dont you jogg it

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
£1500 can be a right minefield for KTM's.... maybe consider an XR400, DRZ or CCM 400 if your budget is so tight? think you stand a good chance of getting something quite 'tired' if you get a ktm for that price...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mate has a great DRZ for sale around that price, better for the novice greenlaner as it has the button compared to an XR, although the XR is a GREAT bike

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
DRZ 400 then when you are bored with the weight next year and hooked on off roading get a 400or 450 KTM. DRZ will always sell (just sold mine first caller) and they are actually a pretty good all rounder.

·
Registered
301 Posts
£1500 can be a right minefield for KTM's.... maybe consider an XR400, DRZ or CCM 400 if your budget is so tight? think you stand a good chance of getting something quite 'tired' if you get a ktm for that price...
My CCM 644 DS was great (suzuki engine not Rotax) bolt on the O/R wheels and away you go, heavy but great fun

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also consider a CRM250, good prices on them now.
CCM404 is a nice off roader if you can get one for the price, DRZ400e not bad too. Definitely also consider a XR400.
Suspect as suggested you will want to upgrade (though I still use my 690 for greenlaning and am happy with it for that), but any of the above will do you fine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Friend of mine has just bought an 07 CCM 404DS (DRZ engine) 1 owner with 3900 miles on it for £2250. I have just finished servicing it for him today as I have a DRZ, and it is a sturdy looking bike. There were plenty on Fleabay when we were looking a few weeks ago on 03 or 53's that were within your budget.
Having my own DRZ and having spent the last two days pulling the CCM apart, I would go for the DRZ enduro model with a button, not the 'S'. The way the DRZ is built is more suited to off roading, I strongly suspect it is lighter and the spares, like pastics etc are freely avaliable and has good resale. The upside of the CCM is it does have some quality kit on it for the price you pay.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the CCM 'e' model; the biggest issue I've had with it is the big end going (still not fixed :( ); as it's the DRZ-E engine, can't really use that against either specifically.
I'd say mine felt no heavier than a DRZ-E model at least, though haven't had a decent back to back test. I like that you can put SM wheels straight on (mine came with them).

·
Registered
147 Posts
The swapping of the wheels for moto wheels is an advantage. For my DRZ I have 2 sets of off road wheels, one with Trailwings the other with MT21's at the mo. The weight thing was based on my DRZ being a kicker, so no battery, starter motor etc which the CCM has, and the CCM having a steel subframe and massive rack, ally subframe on the DRZ with no rack. Rubber lined polished stainless steel bash plate on the CCM, big wrap around ally one on my DRZ. Plus load of silly little things that add up to my conclusion that the DRZ is a better off roader than the CCM (DS model) eg rear fender bolted on and pop riveted to back of air box/battery tray, where as the DRZ is 4 bolts and its off, making it easier to rebuild. Is the CCM e model identical to the DS? The only difference I know of so far is the suspension is slightly longer travel on the e.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The e model has got a few other weight saving bits like tiny rear rack, no pillion pegs, etc.
Think my ccm might have an ally guard, but not sure and it may well be aftermarket if it is. Certainly wasn't polished!
Note that it's VERY hard to find a DRZ with kickstart only - I've got a feeling these were only sold in the first year or two it was out. The DRZ-E does have an electric start, but otherwise is similar.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can pick up a nice EXC 400 for under 1500, just got to keep looking at fleebay, they do come up..knock spots of the Tank (DRZ) and dont even think about a CCM!! put you of for life. Gasgas 300 would be a good buy, but keep looking, and youl find that 400.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The e model has got a few other weight saving bits like tiny rear rack, no pillion pegs, etc.
Think my ccm might have an ally guard, but not sure and it may well be aftermarket if it is. Certainly wasn't polished!
Note that it's VERY hard to find a DRZ with kickstart only - I've got a feeling these were only sold in the first year or two it was out. The DRZ-E does have an electric start, but otherwise is similar.
Think I'll use the rarity value angle when I decided to sell mine! According to a bike spec site I checked, a kick start DRZ is the same weight as comparable KTM's

·
Registered
147 Posts
Remember he's looking to commute on it too - not sure if the enduro bikes will be so great ffor that!
I have commuted about 18-20 miles on my DRZ into London. Mainly in traffic, very small amount of dual carriageway. If you want the bike bad enough for the green laneing, you can ride around its short comings on the road. Personally I love commuting on my DRZ, with a set of wheels with Trailwings on, and slightly lower gearing, its a hoot in town, a real hooligan tool!

·
Registered
210 Posts
ill take some pics of mine ive just bought for 1500, and post them up.... i was lucky, found my old 2001 400 still on the isle of wight, there's no rocks,,,lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts