KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i`m new on hear and am looking to buy a supermoto, i`ve bin doin some research and narrowed it down to 660 625 or 640 smc in that order from what i can gather, i`m a young n fit 36 yr old, previous bikes are an old xt350 then a race tuned ZXR750 L1, i`ve road tested a couple of KTM`s and enjoyed them (both 640 prestege`s 04/05) niether of them would easily lift the front wheel off the throtle alone which is what i want, i just want a hulligan toy to put a grin on my face to n from work and a play thing for weekends, dont fancy the high maintenance of the 525 motors wondering is it worth buyin a 640 if it`s bin played with?? from what i gather the only difference at standard is the carbs???? any help or advice greatly recieved, oh i`m looking at spending around £2000
Thanks all
Scott

M

·
0 Posts
660SMC (The bike that is.. ;)) is the one to go for, out the crate hooligan tool. For those who drink beer from the can, belch loud and proud and who know what "Two in the goo, one in the poo" means. And their wives CERTAINLY know.. :D

625SMC is for those who like to use the bike as much as possible, want a bit of a loon tool but like the convienience of electric start (lol gays:D) so that it's more city friendly if they cannot be bothered to kick it over.

640 LC4 is for girls (of course!) and those who like to look like the big bad babe (or whatever) of biking, but are scared of that thing called a throttle. There are ways of making a 640 more like the other two which is basically the following:

1) Fit an FCR41 carb as fitted to the 625/660.
2) Airbox work which is usually replacing the lid with a mesh one from the hardparts book or junking it in favour of a K&N (if you like such things, though it does make a nice induction noise, kinda like a burp).
3) 660SMC camshaft.
4) 15T or 16T front sprocket to make it slower top speed but quicker acceleration, lifts the front easier.
5) Performance exhaust
6) Lose some fookin weight! Mine comes up easy in 1st and 2nd, and if caught right will lift in 3rd, but 4th and 5th, forget it.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, you're the newbie, buy the virtual drinks damnit! :p

I'll have a WKD blue thanks. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
newbee

lovin the advice guys drinks all round lol
as far as loosing some weight i`m 14 stome with a 32inch waist so i dont think thats a problem (dont have to sit my belly on the tank lol)
660 it is then as long as i can find a fairly good 1 with what i can afford!!!
as far as being afraid of the throttle!!! i`d happily replace it with an ON/OFF button lol i intend to have as little ware on the front tire as possible, as far as gay goes has ne1 riden a honda 650 FMX??? now they are gay lol

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
With a budget of only £2k, I'd be concentrating on getting the best condition of the 625/640/660 range that I could find available. You might just be lucky and find your dream bike - but continue to do your homework or you might end up pouring £2000 down the toilet.

There is a mountain of rubbish available at that price - much of which is of debatable provenance and comes complete with a need for expensive maintenance/repairs.

Looking at some of the overpriced rubbish advertised as 'mint' or a 'real beauty' can provide a laugh as some recent links to e-Bay has shown.

Look here for some further tips http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42399 and learn to use the 'search' facility - it really does work.

·
Registered
640 Posts
A 640 will lift the front off the throttle my old one did it ok with the 17/38 gearing and like a maniac when I went to 16/42 gearing. And that was with the standard carb.
Be careful how long your wheelies are thou as doing them silly far can starve the engine of oil.

Wheelies even easier now with 15/44 lol

but saying that I will be looking for a 660 in the new year unless the Royal Bank of Parents will lend me some early

M

·
0 Posts
has ne1 riden a honda 650 FMX??? now they are gay lol
Nope, but remember seeing one and thinking it looked a very smart piece of kit (which is unusual, as I generally hate Honda bikes).
VERY nice tailunit on them, and like the general looks of it, but the very low BHP and air cooled motor make it seem like a Civic 1.5 with a bodykit. Pointless.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Wheelies even easier now with 15/44 lol

but saying that I will be looking for a 660 in the new year unless the Royal Bank of Parents will lend me some early
Fook me the thing must be mental now. And I take it you learnt to wheelie at last.

Good old bank of mum don't you just love it and open at any hour. Lol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dont have my money just yet hopin to have the rest by the end of the month so have bin keeping an eye on things like e-bay, bike trader pistonheads etc, seen some that look really nice but how can you tell just from pix and an add!! i`m pretty mechanicly minded (work in motor trade on cars n can do pretty much ne thin with a car) so have a basic idea of what to be lookin for when a bikes in front of me (mostly due to readin threads on this forum thanks guys) but how do you know which 1`s to go n look at??? (am also hoping i can raise my budget to £2500 fingers crossed)
i dont imagine i`ll be on the back wheel long enough to cause ne engine damage (not for a while ne how)

·
Registered
293 Posts
640 LC4 is for girls (of course!) and those who like to look like the big bad babe (or whatever) of biking, but are scared of that thing called a throttle.
Speak for yourself. ;)

I had a quick blast of my friends 625 and to be honest I could not tell the difference compared to my 640 but then maybe that was just me. Ive never been on a 660 so cant comment but from what I have read and heard they do have more power.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still doin my research!!! is it right the newer 660`s have 6speed box if so does this make much difference? ie gearing it down with different sprokets still keeps some top end???

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
how can you tell just from pix and an add!!
The pix can tell you a lot - how clean is it, how original, what OEM parts have been changed, are the replacement parts 'el cheapo' ones - is it loved or is it a get to work hack! You can get a good idea if it's worth travelling to view or bid - never a guarantee that the bike ain't nicked or dodgy.

The words in the add are usually a dead giveaway - if the owner cannot accurately describe what they are selling, makes outrageous claims, is relatively honest in describing defects (and what second hand bike is 100% perfect?) or is hallucinating under the influence of illegal substances.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts