KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to forum and don't know way round so forgive me if the answers here somewhere! Just written off Pirrelli Scorpions on road trip to Millau Viaduct (and many surrounding twisties) I want to replace them with a more road based tyre, any suggestions please? I'm pretty unlikely to go off road so not bothered about knobblies

·
Registered
146 Posts
I second that. I'm about 1200 miles into the Conti trail attacks and they are outstanding on road. Tonnes of grip for smashing the pasties out of the B twisties. I have yet to be beaten by a sports bike, full stop, up to the tonne.

Ebay is cheapest I think. Fitting yourself?

BTW they are crap on trails unless the trail is a hard dry surface. As soon as it gets wet, muddy, rocky, scrambly - you will have to seriously slow right down or the front just disappears under you.

So seriously consider this as you will have a road bike only.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't think it's so clear cut that the Trail Attack's are better on road than the Scorpions. I could get my peg down on either so they're as good as each other in the dry. In the wet the Scorpions are definitely better.

I've been through 6 rear Scorps lasting typically over 4,000 miles each (when not changed early before a tour). The one Conti I've had is now gubbed at 3,300 miles. This isn't enough to say whether the Contis are much worse on mileage than the Scorps but I don't think they're better.

Both Scorps and Contis do the headshake thing when the rear's worn. Although it's been a while since I bought a Scorp, they were cheaper than Contis are now.

My next tyres will probably be Scorps when the Conti front's ready to change.

That said, there's a lot to how you feel about the tyres - whichever one makes you more confident, will make you ride better.

·
Registered
307 Posts
... another one to consider is Avon Roadrider (AM26?)
don't know much about them but I think some folks on here or in "Orange Crush" on the Advrider forum use them.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've been through 6 rear Scorps lasting typically over 4,000 miles each (when not changed early before a tour). The one Conti I've had is now gubbed at 3,300 miles. This isn't enough to say whether the Contis are much worse on mileage than the Scorps but I don't think they're better.
Good grief, I've managed to get 7-8k from both rear Contis and 12k from a front. One thing I have found with the Contis is their resistance to punctures is better.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I don't think it's so clear cut that the Trail Attack's are better on road than the Scorpions. I could get my peg down on either so they're as good as each other in the dry. In the wet the Scorpions are definitely better.

Feck me - what do you do to your tyres ? I usually see 7,000 miles or more out of a Scorp rear and the Trail Attack rear I have on at the moment has done nearly 4,500 miles and looks like it will be going strong for another 4,000 or more........................

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
'kinell,high miles!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good grief, I've managed to get 7-8k from both rear Contis and 12k from a front. One thing I have found with the Contis is their resistance to punctures is better.
Feck me - what do you do to your tyres ? I usually see 7,000 miles or more out of a Scorp rear and the Trail Attack rear I have on at the moment has done nearly 4,500 miles and looks like it will be going strong for another 4,000 or more........................
I have a good ride to work along B-roads and single track roads and very little traffic. Hardly any constant speed stuff. I guess that's why they don't last as long as others'. Perhaps I'm not a good example to use to figure out which tyres to buy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Clearly some people take it quite easy on their tyres and maybe the type of riding they do helps too. But I wonder if some people only change when the tyre is bald and others change when the performance tails off to a point where trust is an issue.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Another thumbs up for the TAs, only done about 400 miles on them so far, but liking them lots :D

If anyone's interested, the guy that fitted my tyres (Terry Everest, 01825 890313) has a very unused set of second hand Avons (Anakees I think..?) just sitting around in his workshop. Don't look like they've done more than 1K miles.

The chap that had them fitted didn't like their wet weather performance, so changed them pdq for a set of TAs.

Terry would doubtless let them go for a song if anyone wants to try them?

·
Registered
146 Posts
those who have posted above stating maybe 7K miles out a trail attack.... what? I reckon mine will be done in at 3.5K easily. Have you tried twisting the throttle all the way around? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
BE AWARE!!! Very aware. The Conti trail Attacks release even more of the hooligan from the 990.
I've ridden 36,000 miles on the Scorpions, lost count of tyre changes, and was very happy with them. Incredible all round tyre.
I have fitted the Conti's this time as I do a lot of riding with pillion and wondered if the road based tread would give a smoother more comfortable ride.
They do, but also give much better feed back and confidence. Interestingly I find I can brake much harder with confidence on the front as well.
Not been out in the rain yet but don't think that will be a problem.
But be warned, if your a confident road rider you will go quicker and upset even more sports bikes!!! :666: :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just fitted conti trailattacks and they rock on the road. Much more confident on the twists. Did 30km on macadam at the weekend and yes you've got to watch the front. On any loose or mud they're a liability but they're not for that for sure. For far so good. :) grin factor high. Very high.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Conti Trail attacks or Metzler Tourance, though scorps ain't that bad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts