KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a sat nav for the bike, 450 exc, lots of byeways and greenlaning in Wilts area plus rides in Wales. Open to thoughts about a reasonably priced system...my brother has a satmap 10 and other mates have some type of Garmin.
Any pros and cons?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I use Satmap 10, never had a problem, updates at speed, just a few seconds behind and the planning software which is about £9 a year is very good. Very easy to read the planned route when green laning, tried to do a video but was having problem with screen refection on the Gopro. Will try again this weekend though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Again, the Montana.

Go Outdoors will price match, and then take 10% off. Makes the unit + OS GB mapping a reasonable cost.

If you want to save more £££s, and can be bothered, you can sell the original OS mapping on Ebay (sealed, you might get £100 for it) and buy copy mapping off Ebay for £35. It works exactly the same.

Buy the rugged, powered mount (approx £40) and you are all set for long days.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Garmin Montana with Ram mount and power unit

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've had a Satmap for a few years but I have to wear contacts for distance vision so can't read the fecking thing any more.

How is the Garmin for size and easy of reading?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Cheers, any particular model?
Etrex 20 will do it. Its a walking unit and is robust. With mapping for sub £150. Menus are a bit fussy to learn at first. The Montana is the daddy but comes with a price to match. Been using the etrex range for years for trail riding here and in France. Open source mapping readily available too which is handy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The thing that really sets the Montana apart for me, is the powered mount. The unit is safely held, and being powered, you can have the screen on full brightness (if needed) all the time. No way can you do that with batteries!

Landscape mode, middle of bars, and (if you are handy with a soldering iron) powered up from a connector plugged into the redundant indicator socket behind the headlight. Wired to the battery if not good with electrics!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I know, y'all will laugh but my favourite is the Zumo 550. They are good for offroad routes and have a huge capacity for waypoints on complex routes, which some of the more modern units do not have. I have two of them and would not part with them for any money. Ok they do not have the pictorial OSI mapping capability, but for years I have not needed it, especially when planning the route on PC and transferring to the unit. Sadly they are now defunct. There is one for sale on here though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've the active 10 with lithium battery pack and a spare if required , I find it great and like it, a few friends have the Montana and say it's fantastic , what I like about the satmap is you can share routes with your mates on the trails as just put your card into there's and upload , you might be able to do that also with the Montana tbh, but if you look around you will pick up a satmap at a very good price with full uk mapping compared to the other, all depends on how much you want to spend and preference

Stevie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts