KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the 690's gone, I'm on the hunt for a replacement but I'm really not clued up on the various options and because its going to be a second bike the budget is low at around 2k:hmh:

Is there any buyers guides etc for the Ktm range? i.e explaining the difference between the bikes and what to look out for when looking over a potential purchase?

Quite fancy a 660 smc or the 625 and I have a vague idea that these are similar bikes but with the 660 being lighter. Would I be able to pic up a good condition low hours 660 for around the 2k mark?

Probably staying orange but open to any other suggestions :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I ride the Tl 1000s and I have bought the 450 EXC racing its a 03 plate and although it takes a little work (changing oils and stuff) it awsom fun, + swap the wheels in winter for off road and you have even more fun, its like buying two bikes

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't considered the 450 as I really do need one with full road bits, lights stand etc

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might need to add the 450 to the list, great looking bikes.

If you dont mind me asking? how much did you pay for a 03 plate 450 with the 2 sets of wheels?

·
Registered
226 Posts
i got mine for 1800, its on a 52 plate but its a 03 year it was the first model with the new shape, it is basicly a race bike so it does not have an ignition but i got over that but cutting into the coil wire and attaching a hidden kill switch it did not include the off road wheels but keep your eyes on ebay and you can ick up a pair for pretty cheap, by christ it goes well im used to road bikes but this thing is so light and it will wheely in 1st 2nd 3rd off the throttle

·
Registered
226 Posts
there is one exactly like mine on ebay 290442209015 although it could probably do with some proper sm wheels but they can come with time, have a look

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
So many options.. In terms of road use, all the EXC models will comply. As will the LC4 powered bikes you mention. The best bike completely depends on what you want to do with it, and your expectation of performance. If you envisage doing lots of miles, then yes the LC4 625 or 660 will offer the most generous service intervals with good road manners. The tradeoff is that in pure SM terms, they are quite heavy. If your plan is short blasts and track days, then you may be better served by a larger capacity EXC like a 450,525, 530 etc. These bikes have a competition pedigree. They are closer to 110Kg down from 140. The engines are strong and reliable but service interval is measured in hours, not thousands of miles. Its also worth mentioning that they have a wider range of aftermarket and factory performance parts, plastics, graphics, etc. The 660 and similar are getting on a bit now and bits are getting harder to chase.

Then theres door number 3. For something a lil different, you could go with a 2stroke EXC. Which is the direction Im heading in for a 2nd sumo. Just because I like em.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Check Supermoto International Magazine #5. There is "KTM Lc4 used buyers guide"

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Now the 690's gone, I'm on the hunt for a replacement ..... Probably staying orange but open to any other suggestions :)
After owning a 690 with all the new technology, I think you will find any 625, 640 or 660 model a bit of an antique - and rather cheap and crude. But then again maybe you like cheap and crude?

Finding a decent one might also be a bit of a challenge - by now many have been modded by numpties, thrashed by schoolboys and maintained by a bloke wearing welding goggles in a dark garden shed and wearing two left handed gloves. Then again you might just unearth a mint example of a 625 from a lock-up in Auchenshuggle and the owner only wants £1500 for it.

You might just get a lot more fun for your money buying something a bit more serious and less road orientated?

How did you finally dispose of the 690 - you seemed to be struggling to get top dollar?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will try to find that magazine, cheers

Never been keen on cheap and abused :)

Im swaying towards the more focused lighter bikes. Hopefully picking up a gsxr over the weekend so the SM will only be used in short bursts rather than the epic trips I was doing on the 690. Hopefully a Exc or similar will be fine for blasts of around an hour or so, spent some time on a yam 450 off road and found it rather hard work. Will need to try and sort out a test ride before buying.

Sold the bike privatly to the first viewer to come see it but reallydidnt have much intrest so had dropped the price considerably.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts