KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I've come from over 20 years on GSXR's with the best gearboxes in the business, and I honestly don't find the 1290 Superduke R too bad at all. Get the quickshifter and be totally positive with it.

Registered
Seems a peculiar method to me.
Not my normal method, just discovered by accident this gets it to do a crap shift regularly.

None of the other 5 bikes I owned during the 1x90 period do this and change smoothly between all gears if rolling along with clutch in.

As I said before 200,000 miles on about 23 other bikes without a gearbox this "bad" - not awful just a bit poor compared to every other bike I have owned, but only maybe one shift in every 50 or 100, unless doing aforementioned method which just proves something is not quite right.

Registered
Not my normal method, just discovered by accident this gets it to do a crap shift regularly.

None of the other 5 bikes I owned during the 1x90 period do this and change smoothly between all gears if rolling along with clutch in.

As I said before 200,000 miles on about 23 other bikes without a gearbox this "bad" - not awful just a bit poor compared to every other bike I have owned, but only maybe one shift in every 50 or 100, unless doing aforementioned method which just proves something is not quite right.
As previous, on the bigger KTM a clear clutch jet is essential, the hole is miniscule, it does block in my experience. KTM do a special tool to help unscrew the jet, worth having. Also correct chain tension, and clean engine oil of the correct grade. I find Motul 7100 gives the best g/box, clutch action. It鈥檚 essential the clutch clears nicely. If it makes a thud and lurches forward when you select first from a stand still, it鈥檚 never going to be buttery smooth! Having said that the best gear change collectively I have ridden has always been on something with Rotax on the side. But they didn鈥檛 put 160 brake through large, deep meshed teeth. 馃槈

Registered

try lowering the gear lever, you might be lifting your foot too high to engage gears and not quite giving it a positive enough snick into place.

I say this because I adjusted mine closer but higher than it was before and even though it felt fine sitting on the bike it was terrible, false neutrals and missed gears

Registered
Tried it up a bit down a bit forward a bit back a bit.

Nothing to do with "snick". Lord knows how many changes i have done on non ktms in about 180,000 miles with zero issues regardless of lever position etc.

My ktms have all just had the odd false neutral or horrible change now and again, regardless of slow shift, fast shift light touch or hard touch on lever and with or without QS.

It feels like clutch drag, but I can pull clutch fully in, blip throttle to shake plates loose and still get the kickback on lever.

No problem now I accept they do this now and again.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts