KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why should it be so hard to insure a couple of bikes that live in a secure, alarmed, integral garage, inside a secure gated estate, with a mature (ahem, 35+) rider with a full license, no accidents, and no claims?

The sticking points seem to be modifications to the bike:
"Oh... you have modified suspension? ... sorry ..."

And given the royal fooking run-around too.
"Can you send us photos of your bike?"
"Sure".
I send them photos.
The next day, they dont call back - I have to call them, they tell me:
"Sorry, we are not going to cover your bike - you said the bikes were kept in a secure garage - and we can see from the photos they are in an underground carpark..."

WTF? WTF? The photos were taken in an underground carpark - because thats where I happened to take the bloody photos - in an underground carpark. At work! You didnt ask me for photos of my garage - you asked for photos of my bike!
If you want photos of my fucking garage, ask me for photos of my garage!
Which do you want?
err.... we will call you back.
They never did.

:mad:

In order to cover the suspension modification (std to S suspension) and any other modifications Carole Nash wanted to double my premium (and it wasnt cheap to start with! :eek:)
My previous insurer just refused to insure me. Yet they were happy to insure the same bikes 12 months ago... fook me :mad:

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
phil

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Nah, no good. Well. No good last year. They dont do multi-bike policies.... so its like the cost of 2 insurance policies. Double.
strange.... they insured 2 of mine this year ? any more than that and yes it had to be a business policy..

·
Registered
446 Posts
I thought i would get the 690 SMC insured to build up some NCD as i have had a trade policy for the last 10 years. So i thought its a 650cc single im over 35, rural location, locked garage (behind the house), alarm/immobiliser on bike with a datatag and a bloody great big insurance approved chain + no claims and no convictions.

£401.05 Fully comp from Carole Nash - They are obviously having a laugh anyway in true CN style the minute you have filled the online form in and pressed "get quote" some monkey is ringing you back to see if its a good quote, so i told him no its crap, he said how much have you had another quote for and i will try to beat it. So i tell him £260......lets see what happens!

The last bike i insured with them was a 25k Spondon fireblade with agreed value, they quoted me £400 for that in 2001 with 6 points on my licence (ok so its tens years ago, but im 10 years older and the bike is a damn sight cheaper and slower) not round corners tho ;)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I feel your pain i hate insurance time
why have you changed the end cans, cos i didnt like the standard one
how much has it improved performance, it hasnt
why did you fit them , and it goes on and on

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
ebike are pretty good for insuring anything and you can do month by month with a years NCD after 8 months.
Because its all online no questions to answer and you list your extras from a drop down menu.
Give them a try Nick.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Bikesure have my KTM and Yam on a fully comp multi bike policy and renewed this month.
Bikes kept in a locked timber building and business use but it is leafy Sussex.
Paid £275 which may be dearer than some but about £15 more than last year.
I was happy enough as I can't be bothered to spend a day phoning round and explaining everything 10 times.

·
Registered
980 Posts
im with bikesure, they seem'd ok tbh, took about 4 phone calls to sort it out but i went from 2 policies to 1 multi policy and they messed up my ncb and wouldnt accept my proof of NCB either untill i rang them... price and cover is ok though.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
strange.... they insured 2 of mine this year ? any more than that and yes it had to be a business policy..
Last year they would only do 2 seperate bike policies.
This year they will do me a multi-bike - but its crazy expensive. £1700 :eek: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
980 Posts
well, i think they suddenly wont offer multibike on purpose, meaning you have to take 2 policies instead of 1... win win for the insurance company. if bike sure do that to me next year ill be gone.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I just renewed with Carole Nash this time, £200 full comp bearing in mind bikesure wanted £190 + for 3rd party fire and theft after id been with them a year with 5 years no claims
I now have breakdown cover here and europe and also insured for 90 days in europe, helmet and leathers insured, carole nash wanted £40 to do it in 3 installments until i said nah leave it ill go elsewhere so the monkey on the phone then did some whispering and came back with £1 per installment :D

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
All of them seem more interested in filling up their computer databases with all your personal details - most of which are an absolute irrelevance to what you are actually trying to purchase - rather than trying to offer you a decent product at a competitive price.

As for their staff - they apparently recruit the telesales staff from those who fail the interview stage at the Department of Road Sweeping.

I have a dream that one day I will find an insurance company (or broker) that actually values its customers and wants to develop a long term relationship - rather than simply churning existing customers and reserving all the best deals for new customers.

·
Registered
980 Posts
IMO there is only 1 decent insurance company, and thats the NFU who i use for my cars and home. they are not cheap but service is the best you will ever find.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bike Team in Potters Bar used to be a good broker until they sold out to a big company. Now you just get the screen rates.

Bennetts tried to stuff me last year by demanding a 50% increase in premium even though the only things that had changed were that both the bike and I were a year older. Shysters, no explanation only - "well it is a KTM, sorry we can't help you - perhaps next year" - I think not, matey.

MCE gave me a great deal at the London Bike Show, but I'm half expecting another 'Bennetting' come renewal time.

On the other hand, I've just insured a 1965 Bantam and a 1950 James on a fully comp., multibike policy, unlimited mileage (who am I kidding :rolleyes: ) for £100! Happy days!

Nurse!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just got my Blade & EXC insured with Phil, very good deal & what sounds like similar bike / security to you, give em a try.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Why should it be so hard to insure a couple of bikes that live in a secure, alarmed, integral garage, inside a secure gated estate, with a mature (ahem, 35+) rider with a full license, no accidents, and no claims?

The sticking points seem to be modifications to the bike:
"Oh... you have modified suspension? ... sorry ..."

And given the royal fooking run-around too.
"Can you send us photos of your bike?"
"Sure".
I send them photos.
The next day, they dont call back - I have to call them, they tell me:
"Sorry, we are not going to cover your bike - you said the bikes were kept in a secure garage - and we can see from the photos they are in an underground carpark..."

WTF? WTF? The photos were taken in an underground carpark - because thats where I happened to take the bloody photos - in an underground carpark. At work! You didnt ask me for photos of my garage - you asked for photos of my bike!
If you want photos of my fucking garage, ask me for photos of my garage!
Which do you want?
err.... we will call you back.
They never did.

:mad:

In order to cover the suspension modification (std to S suspension) and any other modifications Carole Nash wanted to double my premium (and it wasnt cheap to start with! :eek:)
My previous insurer just refused to insure me. Yet they were happy to insure the same bikes 12 months ago... fook me :mad:
Would you like me to look into this again for you? If so, PM me some details and I'll get an Underwriter onto it.

Cheers,

Phil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts