KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my jap bikes always had the Optimate battery charger connected while th ebattery was installed. I can remember that someone told me not do this with KTM's as the charging current may harm electronics of the bike. Mh.... charging current from the generator does not harm anything but from the Optimate it does? :rolleyes:

Shoud I take the battery out or at least remove the ground wire ?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thats interesting (not in a busty vixen chocolate cat fight type of way) i always use optimate's. When i get my 690smc next month i will be plugging it in. Does anyone know for sure if its bad for it!

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why I ask, I heared that especially the 990ies have some kind of electronics which allegedly dont like what Optimate does. In the meantime I called my dealer and asked him. He said dont do it. I asked why. He said: "I dont know". :rolleyes: Twat.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, FI was my main concern. I posted the same question in the German/Austrian KTM forum and two guys responded.
Both say that they do it with battery connected and never had any problems. However, one bloke reports that the CLS chain oiler pissed all the oil on the garage floor:D He did some research and found out that the Optimate obviously pulsates and every time it starts with a charge pulse the CLS releases a few drops of oil. *lol*... shit happens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been using my Optimate on my SMT for a year now with probs at all. Probably feckin blow up next now:eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
optimate

dude,
i had the same concerns even the manual for the SD tells you not to charge unless using a KTM charger which you can pick up for a reasonable 10 zillion £'s. however after seeking some advice from forums and sellers i got one and its been connected up for some time with no bother.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I was tipped off that an Optimate was a very very good idea for the current range of fuel injected KTMs. So I did my research and found that other than 'old wives tales' and 'pub gossip' - not a single argument that could withstand technical analysis stood up.

For any bike with no kick start, ECUs and electronic fuel injection - only a complete fool (or a very rich person, who might also be a fool) would argue that having your battery in poor/discharged condition is a good idea. If you don't already know it - these bikes just refuse to fire up (even though the engine is spinning over) when the battery is in poor nick.

I was concerned about possible damage to KTMs rather sensitive electronic systems from an Optimate and after two years on an Optimate my 690 SMCommuter is working just fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If it connects before the ignition,ie, the acc1 plug or the battery connections its fine or least it has been with my last 4 FI bikes,KTM 990 included

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Had this 690 and my previous one on Optimate all the time, nothing to report other than reliable starting. When I bought the R the shop said get it on an optimate as with the higher compression ratio's on the R keeping the battery tip top is even more important.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all guys, I am convinced now :smokin: So as soon as the bike takes its winter break I'll connect the Optimate charger and leave it connected till winter is over :)

thanks again, cheers
Steve

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Thank you all guys, I am convinced now :smokin: So as soon as the bike takes its winter break I'll connect the Optimate charger and leave it connected till winter is over :)

thanks again, cheers
Steve

and today's tip is ........ if you are good with your hands (or have a friend to supply an extra pair of hands) - you can even install the Optimate leads without disconnecting the circuit off the battery (you loosen the battery fasteners but hold the connections in place to maintain the circuit - whilst sliding the Optimate connectors into postion and then tighten the fasteners up)) - if it all goes wrong the worst case is having to reset your time clock - which only takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good idea, will do it exactly as you decribe. Thanks!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's the way I did it, holding the terminals in place and putting the flying lead on the battery - on this bike and all the previous ones.

Only point of note may be that new bikes use gel filled batteries (for safety and legislative reasons in the EC I believe) and older models of Optimate are supposed to struggle to charge them - I'm told.

All I do know is that my Optimate is connected permanently across the battery - before that I used croc clips for a while - and I've never had a moment when the wee beastie didn't start first click.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had an optimate on my Superduke for 3 years without problems and it's been on my SM for a year also without problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts