KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I鈥檝e come across a problem with my front wheel on a 2009 ktm 125 exc.

When pushing the bike I could hear a rattle from the calliper on a certain part of the rotation. I鈥檝e changed my brake disk, rebuilt the calliper with new seals too. When the calliper was off I spun the wheel and it鈥檚 moving acros the axel! I鈥檓 not sure if the hubs broke or the bearings need replacing. There鈥檚 no side to side play that I can feel in the wheel, only moves when it鈥檚 spun round.
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Registered
1) Make sure all spacers are installed correctly

2) Make sure front wheel spindle is installed correctly.

3) Follow the procedure for tightening the front wheel spindle and nut correctly...ie slacken the clamps at the bottom for the fork legs AFTER torquing the spindle nut to the correct figure, compress the suspension a few times with the front brake applied, then, keeping the front brake on, retorque the clamps at the bottom of the fork legs.

Administrator
Good point black dog re spacers.
To me it sounds like the bearings. Pretty cheap and easy to replace.
If unlucky, it could be the bearing-seats worn in the hub itself, but that's usually only in old wheels that have been hammered/lots of rough bearing-changes etc..

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) Make sure all spacers are installed correctly

2) Make sure front wheel spindle is installed correctly.

3) Follow the procedure for tightening the front wheel spindle and nut correctly...ie slacken the clamps at the bottom for the fork legs AFTER torquing the spindle nut to the correct figure, compress the suspension a few times with the front brake applied, then, keeping the front brake on, retorque the clamps at the bottom of the fork legs.
Thanks for your advice my friend, I鈥檝e been and got a front wheel repair kit and a new axle from ktm. Going to give it a shot at the weekend.
Much appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point black dog re spacers.
To me it sounds like the bearings. Pretty cheap and easy to replace.
If unlucky, it could be the bearing-seats worn in the hub itself, but that's usually only in old wheels that have been hammered/lots of rough bearing-changes etc..

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I鈥檝e found it super helpful and quite addictive, there鈥檚 so much reading here haha.
I鈥檝e got the bearings, spacer and seal kit ready to put on just waiting on a new axel set up to arrive in the post.
Hopefully it鈥檚 not the hub now I鈥檝e spent so much money 馃槱

1 - 7 of 7 Posts