KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike wouldn't start at end of day yesterday. Instruments come on but, when starter is pressed, nothing; no starter motor or sounds of a relay - although as the battery weakened, the headlight flickered when it was pressed.

Have checked kill switch (it works), and fuses in the glove box. Took battery home to charge it, still knackered this morning.

It was a very wet ride into work yesterday and it rained most of the day.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sounds like the battery is flat and knackered - ideally you could do with testing it before you buy another though in case it's not the battery. Either connect jump leads from a car and try that or use a voltmater across the battery and note the voltage with ignition off (should be above 12.2 volts) then on with the headlight on (should still be above 12.2v) next try to crank it (headlight off) and watch the voltage i'd say anything below 8/9v is marginal. If you can get the bike to start check the voltage is over 13v at 1,500rpm if not it's probably a charging problem.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think it's the battery - only a few months old and I got the battery out and charged it last night. Electrics and lights are fine. There's nothing at all happening when I press the starter - no click, nothing.

I'm thinking maybe starter relay???

There's nothing smelly but it's been well washed by the rain!

Cheers for the answers so far - any more thoughts, please?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Get a screw driver and short the 2 large terminals on the starter relay together....this should bing in the starter....proving battery is ok and starter ok....if you do it with ignition on it should run......look for grotty conections near the relay

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I found the main problem. The lead to the starter relay had chafed through on the frame. It's now fixed but I found other leads similarly affected - the positive lead from the battery for one, not nice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts