KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this on the Adventure-spec website. I remember some ppl being interested in this helmet - but balked at it being only available from the US.

Adventure-spec: CE Klim F4 Helmets now available for Pre-Order.

Ive been using this helmet for a couple of years now - love it. The snag has been it was only available in the US - but finally they have a Euro certified version (that actually turns out to be quite a bit lighter than the US model - 25% lighter apparently). (that said, I prefer the styling of the older model... )

I originally got mine for hot Australian summer riding (its super-well-ventilated) - but have ended up using it here in the UK all year round. Its super warm too. (Which shouldnt be that big a surprise, I guess, considering its made for snowmobile usage too)

Ive found it to be a really versatile helmet. Ive used it for enduros, 3000 mile trips, in hot summer, cold winter, snow, rain, motorway, offroad - and with 20 second change of liner or insertion/removal of face-guard, it adapts to the conditions at hand. Its equivalent or better quality than an Arai or Shoei - and given what you get with it, much better value for money.

Its not specifically designed to be a road helmet. But Ive found it catches the wind less than an arai TX - and less than my shoei hornet too. The only thing I found on the road was noise from the side vents. I just put some insulation tape over them for any long road sections & tear it off for the dirt. With the tape on, its as quiet as my Shoei - and quieter than I remember the Arai TX that I used to have.

For more info, I did a review of it on advrider after I bought it - here: Klim F4 Helmet - 2 Australian thumbs up - ADVrider

The KTM Centre are selling Klim gear now - so I imagine they are going to have some in when they land... I dont know if other places are stocking Klim gear - but Adventure-spec usually always have them available to try on at various shows they attend.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I like that a lot! Maybe save my pennies and bear it in mind for when I replace the old faithful TX3. Any idea on approximate price?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
From the Adventure-Spec website : Price: £299.95 Inc Vat (£255.28 Exc VAT )

(I thought it was 255 including VAT ... but its still cheaper than a TX3, it seems...)
Should be no VAT on helmets ? :confused:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Nick I'm certain you've got shares in Klim... Sold me...
Yeah so have i...5 items from Klim this year so far and one binned Mojave shirt already after colliding with a tree in June!!!:eek::rotflmao:

Nice lid,dont know if i would change my Airoh Stelt though...maybe,then my missus would boot me in the balls!!!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Last time i looked at Klim gear in USA,they were doing the Klim F4 helmets for about $90,add in a 3rd party postage agent at $10,i doubt the postage would be more than $65. I know which i would do.
I have a Klim Valdez parka which cost me just £220 from USA and that included the postage and the tax/VAT i got stopped with. You just have to look out for the sales.

No disrespect to the UK vendor though.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Last time i looked at Klim gear in USA,they were doing the Klim F4 helmets for about $90,add in a 3rd party postage agent at $10,i doubt the postage would be more than $65. I know which i would do.
I have a Klim Valdez parka which cost me just £220 from USA and that included the postage and the tax/VAT i got stopped with. You just have to look out for the sales.

No disrespect to the UK vendor though.
The US ones will not have the necessary 'E' mark to make them legal for road use in the UK. I suspect the price of the UK legal helmets reflect the costs of obtaining the necessary certification to make them legal for the UK. Of course if you do not intend to use them on the road it is not a problem !

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Like with a lot of helmets,a sticker can be had from the internet. I very much doubt they are any different to the USA market helmets except the 2quid sticker.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Like with a lot of helmets,a sticker can be had from the internet. I very much doubt they are any different to the USA market helmets except the 2quid sticker.
I agree - but will the lawyers agree when you are arguing about compensation for head injuries after an accident......................

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crikey. Ive never seen them that cheap. :eek:
I would have bought a 2nd one had I known!
Cheapest I ever saw them was when they brought out the new style, the old ones went down to $350 or $300 or thereabouts IIRC...

Nope, they are different. Different certification process for EU allows them to make the helmet lighter than for the US. Its meant to be 25% lighter than the US one...

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Crikey. Ive never seen them that cheap. :eek:
I would have bought a 2nd one had I known!
Cheapest I ever saw them was when they brought out the new style, the old ones went down to $350 or $300 or thereabouts IIRC...

Nope, they are different. Different certification process for EU allows them to make the helmet lighter than for the US. Its meant to be 25% lighter than the US one...
I stand corrected on the different helmets thing if that is true.
Just had a quick look on the WWW and found this...
Klim F4 Helmet - 2009 - Closeout Price: $149.99! In stock NOW! Why pay list price of $375.99?
Yes,last years model but who gives a f..k about the different colour scheme? Quite often,last years USA model is this years UK model anyway. Not quite $89 but they were last year and if i remember rightly,they were on Atomic Moto. These wont ship direct to UK under their agreement with Klim otherwise it causes problems due to the pricing differences but there are ways around this. PM me if you want info on getting around it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No vat on basic food, crash helmets or kids clothing.

Are the crash helmets in europe 25% lighter because we dont have massively over sized heads to match massively over sized bodies like our american friends :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I stand corrected on the different helmets thing if that is true.
Just had a quick look on the WWW and found this...
Klim F4 Helmet - 2009 - Closeout Price: $149.99! In stock NOW! Why pay list price of $375.99?
Yes,last years model but who gives a f..k about the different colour scheme? Quite often,last years USA model is this years UK model anyway. Not quite $89 but they were last year and if i remember rightly,they were on Atomic Moto. These wont ship direct to UK under their agreement with Klim otherwise it causes problems due to the pricing differences but there are ways around this. PM me if you want info on getting around it.
That`s easy,just have an address in the continental USA or Canada...even a virtual one would do!!!I done the same route as you and got most of my Klim gear from the US.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi guys,
noticed this on here. The container of helmets arrives with us tommorrow. The new CE approved helmets are 1200g over the US ones at +1500g (SCHNELL and DOT standards require a thicker shell to pass the EU), there will be no CE helmets available from the US, i know this as ALL of them are coming to us for distribution to European dealers (klim in the US will not have any). Only UK supplied helmets will be come with ACU stickers. Any helmets imported from the US will be liable for VAT and duties as they dont have the EU homologation paperwork required to qualify for zero-rated VAT, so bear this in mind when parallel importing. As discussed at length these are a quality item and when you compare them against an Arai or Schoei lid they look good value.
£299.95
(check website for stockists)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts