KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be asleep right now under the stars of the Pyranees. In my cosy tent. With my 990 Adv sleeping next to me. :smokin:

Since February I've been hyped about my Morocco trip with the lads. :D

I bought the bike. I bought shit loads of kit. I had it all planned. :scooter:

The lads set off from Newcastle upon Tyne on Thursday. They arrive in Malaga this evening and have tomorrow to rest - then onto Morocco Monday morning. 10 days in Morocco. :burp:

But I crashed a BMW K1100RS on the 21st August in France. Into a trailer being towed by a 4x4. At 80 mph approx. The vehicle turned in my path. The headstock sheered on impact. The BMW was fully fuelled (had just left a filling station) 278kg wet + panniers. :redface:

On impact I snapped my 1st metacarpal, ruptured the muscles in my upper arm and separated the acromioclavicular joints (the tendons which hold the clavical/collar bone - scapula/shoulder blade - arm socket)

The bike leapt up and smacked me in the back chipping my pelvis and damaging tissue in my lower back. I still have a massive lump.

The bike flew on into the atmosphere and flipped a few times - as a bizarre twist of fate, it landed smack on it's back and the road punched a hole in my tank bag map case, and put a small 5p sized hole in the map - BANG on where I crashed. Forks bent, wheel bent, forks and wheel compressed into engine, all fairings smashed.

I received surgery in France the same day placing metal k wire pins into my hand to hold the bones together - I discharged myself the following day on heaps of painkillers and set about getting the Eurostar to Kings cross and a train home to bonny Geordie land.

when I got home I collapsed for 2 days.

It took 2 weeks to reach out 4" with my left arm and touch my fiancé.

I had the pins out of my hand last Monday and yesterday I opened a bottle of Dr Pepper with both hands which was awesome :)

5 weeks in I've regained most of the range of movement in my shoulder, under pain however, as my shoulder bones are still separated and tendons are snapped/torn.... a few more months and I'll have some strength again. A decision will be made to operate only in the worst case scenario. Basically they leave the bones separated unless it's causing issues.

I want to focus the next 6 weeks on stretching the affected areas in hand and shoulder and do some strength building.

I have one of those new engined 09 Classic Royal Enfield Bullet 500's sitting in the garage next to the KTM and I reckon by the end of next month I'll be fit enough to ride it to Hartside Cafe :)

I don't think I'll be riding the KTM for a while though :frown:

On the bright side - I'm alive, my fiancé is beautiful and 18 years younger than me, we just found out our baby due 7th Feb 2011 is gonna be a baby girl and we've chosen the name Miss Lilianna Selena Borderhooner.

I think next year is gonna be the best year of my life. And looks like I'm riding my 990 to Transylvania :)

Stay sunny side up folks :)

regards

Karl

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate.

But you live to tell the tale!

Good Luck with the recovery !

Congratulation on your lil one !

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys - yeah I'm seeing a physio for my shoulder and another one for my hand, but it's early days still. The main thing is I can hold my fiancé with both arms now and she feels safe again :)

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
At least you aren't a makem ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know you but I feel for you and your future Mrs.

Chin up.

I'm a believer in fate. Your alive and recovering. If you had gone to the Pyranees you may have foct up there and not come home. Not seen your other half and not been a father to your daughter yet to be born.

You weren't meant to go.

Get well soon and look to the future... You still have one.

KK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts