KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
No, but the hard workers all fucked off to America ;-)

The entire global Ponzi scheme has seen families needing 2 wages, initially it started with a bit of part time work for Mum when kids at school, now you need 2 decent wages and rich parents to stump up a deposit to buy a house, government dishing out free houses and paying for them with our money (taxes) has helped keep prices high, as have housing associations and government schemes...

...If they left it the fuck alone supply & demand (plus what people can afford) would sort it all out, it almost happened in 2008, but the government bailed all their banking buddies out with our hard earned again.

I agree that many people want too much, we all know people who plead poverty and whinge about being skint but have a £400 a month PCP deal on a car that's worth almost as much as the small house (that is all they can "afford") along with Sofa / Carpets / Kitchen / Funrniture / huge TV all on some credit deal.

I know a fella who does that "alright for you" kind of thing, but he spunks half his wages on a £40k car, in 3 years he will of lost £20k on it, I paid £11k for a <2 year old astra back in 2016, so has cost me £1k per year instead of £7k, why can't people live within their means anymore?
Bought my transporter in 2007 had it 14 years it not long died ecu and loom, bog standard no air con wind up windows I loved it , I couldn't give a fuck about new cars or even bikes , live my old shit simple , bit the bullet and bought a 18 plate tranny , can't even tune the radio some dab shit , it's got auto lights wipers and shit, I have no interest , cruise is ok though

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I dont follow? Low interest rates are due to deregulation and increased debt, money printing, low interest rates just devalues a currency.
In 1997 Gordon Brown handed the job of rate setting over to the B of E, who then set about slashing it so we matched the EU better.
The knock on effect was that mortgage payments got substantially cheaper so people could borrow more.. that's it.

However this article supports your view I think, that the money printing has created the issue.. which I accept is also true.

I can't find it now, but I did read one article that pretty much blamed Gordon Brown & Tony Blair for whole problem.
Anyway.. there isn't one single cause, but it's also not a complete mystery why it's happened, it's basically fueled by the availability of money, demand and lack of supply.

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
In 1997 Gordon Brown handed the job of rate setting over to the B of E, who then set about slashing it so we matched the EU better.
The knock on effect was that mortgage payments got substantially cheaper so people could borrow more.. that's it.

However this article supports your view I think, that the money printing has created the issue.. which I accept is also true.

I can't find it now, but I did read one article that pretty much blamed Gordon Brown & Tony Blair for whole problem.
Anyway.. there isn't one single cause, but it's also not a complete mystery why it's happened, it's basically fueled by the availability of money, demand and lack of supply.
Its fucking madness, there was a guy living in London, I believe in his parents old house. The house was increasing between 75-100k per year so he stopped working and borrowed his income against the property.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
It is... if it had been a more gradual rise I'd have probably bought more.
I expected a crash and it happened in 2008. I thought it would be harder and for longer.. but they cheated the correction and in doing so made a much bigger problem. Since then I haven't really trusted the property market and instead worked on reducing the mortgages.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sorry guys late to the party on this one, whats all the fuss about, from the title its a big thumbs up from me, being an old cunt that's not succeeded in life I find my only success now is to achieve as little effort as possible for as much money as possible.

The only thing working hard has given me is bad knees and back.
You don't get rich by working hard.

I'm unemployable, no company would wont me and to be honest I don't wont them hence for 25 years I've been self employed, although apparently over the last 10 years I've been employed by my own company, a 2 man band non profit organisation that works in the joinery world :rolleyes:

The word self employed is totally wrong, i work for people, i have to be at work, i have to pander to there needs and except what they are willing to pay ( to a certain extent) . 3 day working week is now my dream guys.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
I was happily employed from 1970 to 1986 then a happier self employed one man band architect until I retired in 2017.
Ok, there were annoying and stressful clients but I wouldn’t change a thing.
I was never in it to make my fortune, just charge a fair rate for a good job - what would I expect to pay. I never had to advertise and didn’t have a single working day with nothing to do. 99% of my work was existing long term clients or recommendations.
I must gave been doing something right and my wife made me save / add to a pension so we are reasonably comfortable.
I would have been utterly useless at manual hard work though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
And that is what people that have never tried it don't understand.
Yep, most people think being self employed means if I cant be arsed to work next week I won't. That reality means self unemployed and usually ends in failure.

I have to be in London next week or 4 trades that are already booked in have a serious issue. I shall be leaving my house at 5am even if I'm ill :( Or shall I say fook it I'm self employed i will have the week off :unsure:

Honestly i wouldn't mind but I only earn an average wage at best, if I was to increase my rate I would be self unemployed. To make it worse most of my business and working days are spent round wealthy peoples house.
Non of these client's go out to work, there home all day :rolleyes:

This place had its own lift to get upstairs.

This place was probably the most ridiculous place I have ever sweated at working for my pennies, at least the owners were not at home, they lived in Switzerland, i had to deal with the head butler :rolleyes:

Fook me no wonder I'm a bitter old cunt, I guess I'm probably jalousie but jealousy turns into to bitterness when you get older, in fact I'm not even bitter, just disappointed I didn't catch the bus .

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Best shift I’ve seen is 4 on 4 off, 12 hours , 365 days cover in a year, so there’s always someone in work, boss happy ,workers happy , loads of time off ! Easy life!
Self employed is great when you earn thousands a month, it doesn’t matter if your quite for a bit, but low paid £100-40, a day pointless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Best shift I’ve seen is 4 on 4 off, 12 hours , 365 days cover in a year, so there’s always someone in work, boss happy ,workers happy , loads of time off ! Easy life!
Looks good on paper, and yes lots of time off, but not when you want it. When all ya mates are out playing at the weekend you're at work. Do more weekends than not. Been there and done it. Wouldn't want to do it again.

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
Yep, most people think being self employed means if I cant be arsed to work next week I won't. That reality means self unemployed and usually ends in failure.

I have to be in London next week or 4 trades that are already booked in have a serious issue. I shall be leaving my house at 5am even if I'm ill :( Or shall I say fook it I'm self employed i will have the week off :unsure:

Honestly i wouldn't mind but I only earn an average wage at best, if I was to increase my rate I would be self unemployed. To make it worse most of my business and working days are spent round wealthy peoples house.
Non of these client's go out to work, there home all day :rolleyes:

This place had its own lift to get upstairs.

This place was probably the most ridiculous place I have ever sweated at working for my pennies, at least the owners were not at home, they lived in Switzerland, i had to deal with the head butler :rolleyes:

Fook me no wonder I'm a bitter old cunt, I guess I'm probably jalousie but jealousy turns into to bitterness when you get older, in fact I'm not even bitter, just disappointed I didn't catch the bus .
For me self employed means if I dont like a company or job I can just pick up my tools. You are right about the time aspect, when the weather is nice or I really want to do something I can take 3 months off. Working for someone would mean changing employers.

You didn't miss the bus, its just your father didn't own the transport company. Guy I know is worth 280 million, has an estate in Dorset left to him by a friend, owns loads of property in London, as did his parents and as will his son Maximo.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Well I have had two shit days , both log burner installs , both for mates , delivered material on first job a month ago, turn to yesterday to fit, pull out gas liner open roof and it couldn't be done , dodgy builder fucked the chimney up, a day lost returning material, seller fucked my money up , paid a roofer for a day didn't do more than a hour

Today a hour commute long day opening up a roof chimney needed cleaning , , liner was a cunt, register plate a fucker to fit , and to top it off wrong lead slate back tomorrow to try and finish it , mates daughter , lucky to get £250 out of it , you get days like this , I'm black hands cut to fuck, worn out , days like this I wonder if I should just do the service side less money but easier work , the saying a busy fool

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Going permie now, fucked off with IR35 meaning zero hours contract but with much higher tax bill.

Loved being self employed for 10+ years, worked all over the country, varied and interesting work.

Hard work, long days, lots of travel etc. But better returns for the effort.

Fucked now, cannot claim for travel and hotels, taxed at 55% on anything over 50k....

...so taking paycut, folding business and will have easy life, office 2 days a week, paid holiday, sick pay, life insurance, private medical and best of all....
...pay less tax - and less money to spend in the community etc (on bikes)

Well done to the pricks at HMRC.

Stripped and cleaned linkages during lunch break today, stroll into town for brunch tomorrow, clocking off a bit early Friday- all the things those who reckon the self employed have it easy take for granted.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
I did 31 years of self employed architecting. We had a comfortable enough but nowhere near excessive life but are ok in retirement now because of savings and pension payments.
Most of my clients towards the end were city or ex city types in East and West Sussex. Well off but not wealthy. Usually dealt with the lady of the house…some jobs I never met the husband as we was slaving to pay for it all.
I wouldn’t change a thing about it except the couple of years where I worked occasional 7 day weeks. They weren’t worth the effort - got brave and said it would be x weeks before I could do anything and they were always fine.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The no work no pay of being self employed goes with the territory but only really takes the shine off bank holidays.

What a lot of people forget is when work slows up, yes I could go for a ride on the bike or go fishing or just sit in the sun, which I do but what I mostly end up doing is looking for more work to come in!
It's not about just about money as the company balance sheet is healthy it is about the unknown future, there could be another 2020 just around the corner.
Just been on holiday for 25 days and had a great time but was still thinking about not being there for regular customers.

I could just retire early but would miss being able to tinker in the workshop, machining a mod for the bike etc but after 15 years I know I could not work for a company and deal with all the bullshit, office politics, workshy incompetent staff that go along with it.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
41 - 60 of 60 Posts