KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to name and shame…..

I entrusted warranty work and it’s second service on my RC8 to Dave Barkshire Motorcycles, Norwich, a three years ago.

The work required new pistons/camshafts etc., as it was an early one. I had bought a second hand Akrapovic exhaust and fitted it and removed all my non standard stuff, just before the aforementioned work (taken to DBM in van).

I explained that a new map was required and he agreed.

Four weeks later :wanker:, the bike was ready for collection (no courtesy bike was available either :wanker:). Warranty work and service still cost £200+ :wanker:.
The weather was really bad so the bike was collected in the van.

All the non-standard stuff was fitted ready for the first opportunity to try it out (and found his mechanic had mangled a couple of Torx bolt heads :wanker:).

The following weekend, togged up, started, warmed up, jumped on, clutch in, engage gear, gently let the clutch out and…..no drive ! :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

Ring the Barkshire up and he refused to collect the bike :wanker::wanker:, so had to take it back (in the van) the following Saturday.

He never apologised for his mistake or the inconvenience caused :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:, didn’t want to know about the mangled bolt heads, but found time to lecture me about not fitting a Scottoiler, as it affected the fueling !! :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

The bike was a little smoother, but still kangarooed like a bastard, but thought that was the nature of the beast.

A couple of years down the line and I hookup TuneECU and find out that the Barkshire hadn’t installed the Akra’ map :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker: – it was still standard ! With the Akro’ map installed, things are much better now, but the years of pain ?

After 3 days at Cartagena trackdaying, it’s sounding very rattly when cold.

So I decided to do its third service myself (which includes checking tappet clearances), only to find one of the hydraulic timing chain tensioners was fitted the wrong way round !! :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

Unbelievable.

So that is Dave Barkshire Motorcycles.

Never again. Be warned.

·
Registered
441 Posts
don't get me started about LAGUNA:wanker::wanker:, its an insult to apes to say they would work at laguna lol, im just glad I do all my own maintainance buts that's not to say there aint any good dealerships out there,

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Havent been to every dealer in the world but I am pretty sure none can be as bad as LAGUNA motorcycles.

For years I have been convinced it is either a social care experiement where mental patients are funded to work in the community disguised as a motorcycle dealership

Or an anthropological study where scientists have shaved apes and let them work in the community disguised as a motorcycle dealership.

I have no other explaination as to how a dealer this bad can survive the recession whilst better ones are failing.
as soon as i saw the thread title I knew their name would crop up

·
Registered
40 Posts
nearly booked my sm in with them for the full works last week, sounds like I might have got away lightly!! Did order some parts off them tho and they turned up the following day including the phone call that most places never bother with so no complaints on that front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
took mine to a ktm dealer in glouster no names said lol to find that when warrenty work was being done they have fell off and crashed it only found out as i went to uk direct about a warrenty isue but they fell off two mts ago and i never even new till now:wanker:

·
Registered
556 Posts
took mine to a ktm dealer in glouster no names said lol to find that when warrenty work was being done they have fell off and crashed it only found out as i went to uk direct about a warrenty isue but they fell off two mts ago and i never even new till now:wanker:
Gloucester or Tewkesbury......?????

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The whole point of a forum is to bring like mined people together for discussion and support.......

So ...... name and shame for the benefit of others - but keep to the facts, not hear say.

Perhaps somebody should start a thread "best dealer in the world" - there must be some good ones out there.
I shall never find one because I shall be doing ALL my servicing and repairs - money that would have been spent on servicing will be spent on decent tooling, to do the work - properly :).

(A fellow forum member uses an ex-Ducati mechanic called Carl Harrison, based in Harleston, NORFOLK - not a dealer. He does some good work and I also believe he has an RC8R :))

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
shit, P&H are my nearest dealer, if their crap, bugger
i have used pand h for years no probs,they rebuilt my 450 motor 3 years ago still going strong touch wood,they are super fast for posting parts out and arealways friendly etc,best dealer around in my book

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
P&h had my mrs bike in four times for an oil leak each time I pointed out what it was but got sent back leaking still. They never rang back when they said. They gave loads of false info on a bike. The last straw was when i had to argue with the "mechanic" that a gear linkage that's hangin off isn't the norm! The same mechanic I witnessed arguin with a customer that he's engine was fine when both he and I and the customer could see it was out back together wrong. For me personally they can go suck one.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
When I bought my Adventure it had had a new rear tyre fitted by P&H, when I came to replace it I was surprised to find the axle nut done up so tight I thought my breaker bar was going to snap trying to undo it and the icing on the cake was a 17" tube in it :wanker:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Time to name and shame…..

I entrusted warranty work and it’s second service on my RC8 to Dave Barkshire Motorcycles, Norwich, a three years ago.

The work required new pistons/camshafts etc., as it was an early one. I had bought a second hand Akrapovic exhaust and fitted it and removed all my non standard stuff, just before the aforementioned work (taken to DBM in van).

I explained that a new map was required and he agreed.

Four weeks later :wanker:, the bike was ready for collection (no courtesy bike was available either :wanker:). Warranty work and service still cost £200+ :wanker:.
The weather was really bad so the bike was collected in the van.

All the non-standard stuff was fitted ready for the first opportunity to try it out (and found his mechanic had mangled a couple of Torx bolt heads :wanker:).

The following weekend, togged up, started, warmed up, jumped on, clutch in, engage gear, gently let the clutch out and…..no drive ! :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

Ring the Barkshire up and he refused to collect the bike :wanker::wanker:, so had to take it back (in the van) the following Saturday.

He never apologised for his mistake or the inconvenience caused :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:, didn’t want to know about the mangled bolt heads, but found time to lecture me about not fitting a Scottoiler, as it affected the fueling !! :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

The bike was a little smoother, but still kangarooed like a bastard, but thought that was the nature of the beast.

A couple of years down the line and I hookup TuneECU and find out that the Barkshire hadn’t installed the Akra’ map :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker: – it was still standard ! With the Akro’ map installed, things are much better now, but the years of pain ?

After 3 days at Cartagena trackdaying, it’s sounding very rattly when cold.

So I decided to do its third service myself (which includes checking tappet clearances), only to find one of the hydraulic timing chain tensioners was fitted the wrong way round !! :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

Unbelievable.

So that is Dave Barkshire Motorcycles.

Never again. Be warned.

Jeez man, three years and now you post slating a dealer, and lets face it not just giving a factual account of what went on, but you call them/ him a wanker 41 times.
As a local to Norwich and an owner of three KTM's I have dealt with Dave Barkshire for over 3 years and have seen nothing but a constantly improving service - Technicians that were not up to scratch have been removed as have front of house staff who have failed to perform to standard. The whole business has been moved to improved premises and i have always been offered a loan bike whilst mine has been serviced.
So even if you haven't used Dave Barkshire's during this time and have not had a chance to experience the service in the last three years, perhaps a bit of moderation in your post is called for. You never know in three years the business may have been completely turned around from your reported state and be top notch now.
As far as i have experienced, the dealership has gone from good to very good in the time that i have been using their services.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Jeez man, three years and now you post slating a dealer, and lets face it not just giving a factual account of what went on, but you call them/ him a wanker 41 times
Maybe cos he nearly had his pride and joy fucked up......

I have dealt with Dave Barkshire for over 3 years and have seen nothing but a constantly improving service - Technicians that were not up to scratch have been removed as have front of house staff who have failed to perform to standard
That's like saying 'they were really shit before, now they've improved a lot to be only shit.......'

You never know in three years the business may have been completely turned around from your reported state and be top notch now.
Then again 'you never know' and why risk handing your pride and joy over to a potential bunch of none improved morons?

As far as i have experienced, the dealership has gone from good to very good in the time that i have been using their services.
That should have said 'they have gone from Great to Brilliant!'

Why settle for second best? Good on ya Jonnydipstick for being cautious! You have every right to be cautious after the experience you've had mate!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts