KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can only speak about the service I've had from Barkshire's in a positive light; I bought my first KTM990 Adventure back in 2006 from them and have always been offered a loan bike when mine was in for any servicing or technical recalls (2), I later bought a 690R from them and again found them very helpful and lastly had a 950Super Enduro that I bought privately but again they help me set up the suspension to suit my weight etc...I wouldn't say they are a dealership that does the nice fluffy stuff and Dave always calls a spade a spade which can catch you off guard but they have always delivered what I've asked of them so thought I'd share that view to balance the books.

...acid test is would I buy another bike from them and the answer is yes

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
I have had 5 ktm's and 3 of which have come from Dave Barkshire.

Any issues I have had with the bikes or KTM head office have been dealt with and fully resolved by Dave.

Servicing has been done according to schedules.

Recalls have been dealt with (including a costly renewal of a part that was well out of warranty on my 950).

He has even organised group booking into events.

I could go on.

But I'll leave you with this - would your dealer lend you his personal van to get your new bike home when there is slush and salt on the road? and would your dealer take your bike back to the workshop when you have been out trail riding to fix a faulty c.c.t?

Everyone can have an off day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jeez man, three years and now you post slating a dealer, and lets face it not just giving a factual account of what went on, but you call them/ him a wanker 41 times.
As a local to Norwich and an owner of three KTM's I have dealt with Dave Barkshire for over 3 years and have seen nothing but a constantly improving service - Technicians that were not up to scratch have been removed as have front of house staff who have failed to perform to standard. The whole business has been moved to improved premises and i have always been offered a loan bike whilst mine has been serviced.
So even if you haven't used Dave Barkshire's during this time and have not had a chance to experience the service in the last three years, perhaps a bit of moderation in your post is called for. You never know in three years the business may have been completely turned around from your reported state and be top notch now.
As far as i have experienced, the dealership has gone from good to very good in the time that i have been using their services.
Hi, glad to have your opinion.

The :wanker: symbols (only 41, hmmm, must have missed some) are just not big enough to convey the outrage and contempt I have for the total lack of professionalism and the attitude shown to me and my beloved RC8. Until I tackled the job myself, I would never have know about the deception.

It's nice to know that he is using his customers while 'learning' to improve his service.
Thanks for openly stateing, to the whole world, that the "Technicians were not up to scratch". This must be so reassuring to all those that have had major work done (like me) during the 'bad times'.
I was wondering if I should remove the engine from the bike, to do a total strip down, to see if anything else had been fitted (or not fitted at all) correctly - after what you have stated, I'm absolutly convinced I've got to do the full strip down now.

Improved premises (which you and I have paid for) doesn't improve the quality of service or attitude.

I have heard many horror stories about Barkshire, but I can't post as I don't have first hand knowledge.

There are some old fart sayings like 'a Leopard never changes his spots' and 'once bitten, twice shy' - what about 3 times bitten ??

I feel it's our duty to inform others of our experiences (good or bad).

I wish you good luck - however, it hurts when you get stung.You have been warned.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Has anyone dealt with Colwyn Bay or the rocket centre?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone dealt with Colwyn Bay or the rocket centre?
I use Colwyn Bay KTM for the stuff I cant do myself on my 990r Adventure and my 690r. Ian, Trevor and Natalie can't do enough to help.
My mate and I have even called them from Tunisia on a SAT phone in the middle of the Sahara (Electric problem) and Trev couldn't do enough (for free).

I also destroyed the engine on my 990 Superduke and Trevor rebuilt it, he's brilliant ! Communication was great and the cost was good too.
They've often talked me out of buying crap I don't need too. All this means I'm really loyal to them now, their service is so good, and I Live in Manchester.

Its a family business and you can really tell, always get a brew and have a nice chat.
I believe that price isn't everything, although they're good on that too. BIG THUMBS UP :)

I'm not related, I promise! I just think that they're what a bike shop should be !

I live near HUNTS (HONDA) in Manchester.... I cant stand the place. Sort of place where you get talked to your an idiot, everything
is a big effort and they act as if they are doing you a favour. Its 2 miles from me and I've promised myself to never spend a penny there again.

I think some places forget how they make money ..... customers remember ! Service and all that ! HUNTS have lost a fortune from my mates and I due to this :rotflmao:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I use Colwyn Bay KTM for the stuff I cant do myself on my 990r Adventure and my 690r. Ian, Trevor and Natalie can't do enough to help.
My mate and I have even called them from Tunisia on a SAT phone in the middle of the Sahara (Electric problem) and Trev couldn't do enough (for free).

I also destroyed the engine on my 990 Superduke and Trevor rebuilt it, he's brilliant ! Communication was great and the cost was good too.
They've often talked me out of buying crap I don't need too. All this means I'm really loyal to them now, their service is so good, and I Live in Manchester.

Its a family business and you can really tell, always get a brew and have a nice chat.
I believe that price isn't everything, although they're good on that too. BIG THUMBS UP :)

I'm not related, I promise! I just think that they're what a bike shop should be !

I live near HUNTS (HONDA) in Manchester.... I cant stand the place. Sort of place where you get talked to your an idiot, everything
is a big effort and they act as if they are doing you a favour. Its 2 miles from me and I've promised myself to never spend a penny there again.

I think some places forget how they make money ..... customers remember ! Service and all that ! HUNTS have lost a fortune from my mates and I due to this :rotflmao:
Thanks mate certainly looks better than the rocket centre.

How much was your 4500 mile service?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 990r is new and due very soon. I'm there next week so will let you know what they quote me. 690r has a bit to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
P&h had my mrs bike in four times for an oil leak each time I pointed out what it was but got sent back leaking still. They never rang back when they said. They gave loads of false info on a bike. The last straw was when i had to argue with the "mechanic" that a gear linkage that's hangin off isn't the norm! The same mechanic I witnessed arguin with a customer that he's engine was fine when both he and I and the customer could see it was out back together wrong. For me personally they can go suck one.
what you have written there is a complete lie. we are very passionate about ktm and do are best to keep customers happy.if your unhappy with your service then come and see us about it you know where we are. i know you had an issue with your 200 which we worked closely with ktm to get right. we always go the extra mile for are ktm customers and we will continue to

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but…..
due to aluminium contamination in the oil, I was ‘forced’ to strip the engine down, to find the cause (see Yoyodyne slipper clutch thread) and clean out any remaining aluminium ‘paste’.
Warranty work required new pistons and camshafts (back in 2010).
I find that I have a size 2 piston (large diameter) fitted in a size 1 cylinder (small diameter) WTF !!!!

DSCF2185.jpg

Thanks, again, to Dave Barkshire Motorcycles for trying to screw my bike up.
Fortunately there is very little wear evident on either pistons or cylinders.
I don’t have access to 100+ mm mircometers (internal or external) so have made some measurements using vernier calipers :
Size 1 cylinder = ф103.04mm , Size 2 piston skirt = ф102.90mm -> gap = 0.14mm
Size 2 cylinder = ф103.04mm , Size 2 piston skirt = ф102.91mm -> gap = 0.13mm
The maximum gap for worn pistons (according to the KTM repair manual) is 0.150mm

Nothing seems right :-
Size 1 piston should be ф102.955 to ф102.985
Size 2 piston should be ф102.965 to ф102.995

Size 1 cylinder bore should be ф103.000 to ф103.012
Size 2 cylinder bore should be ф103.013 to ф103.025

Warranty work done at 4600 miles, engine strip down at 17130 miles.

Any advice from the experts ?

·
Registered
14,808 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but…..
due to aluminium contamination in the oil, I was ‘forced’ to strip the engine down, to find the cause (see Yoyodyne slipper clutch thread) and clean out any remaining aluminium ‘paste’.
Warranty work required new pistons and camshafts (back in 2010).
I find that I have a size 2 piston (large diameter) fitted in a size 1 cylinder (small diameter) WTF !!!!

View attachment 31635

Thanks, again, to Dave Barkshire Motorcycles for trying to screw my bike up.
Fortunately there is very little wear evident on either pistons or cylinders.
I don’t have access to 100+ mm mircometers (internal or external) so have made some measurements using vernier calipers :
Size 1 cylinder = ф103.04mm , Size 2 piston skirt = ф102.90mm -> gap = 0.14mm
Size 2 cylinder = ф103.04mm , Size 2 piston skirt = ф102.91mm -> gap = 0.13mm
The maximum gap for worn pistons (according to the KTM repair manual) is 0.150mm

Nothing seems right :-
Size 1 piston should be ф102.955 to ф102.985
Size 2 piston should be ф102.965 to ф102.995

Size 1 cylinder bore should be ф103.000 to ф103.012
Size 2 cylinder bore should be ф103.013 to ф103.025

Warranty work done at 4600 miles, engine strip down at 17130 miles.

Any advice from the experts ?
Yeah, stop being a dipstick Johnny

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Was it no DBM that sold the 690 "Lemon" the other day? The one where after their 5* Check it went out with knackered shock, collapsed suspension bearings, cracked wheel rims etc.

This is after 10 years of improvements since the OP's original substandard work!

I think the OP was a bit unfair to wade in with a huge attack 3 years on, but in the same situation I would probably be pretty miffed myself, but certainly fair enough to mention what he had discovered under the circumstances.

I think for any minor issues and misunderstandings you should always give the dealer the opportunity to rectify things before slagging them off, but if they totally fuck up your pride and joy I want to know about it.

The reality is most dealers will of probably cocked something up for someone at some point, if they have 2 mechanics doing an average of 20 jobs a week each that is 2,000 a year, unlikely nothing ever goes a bit wrong, but if it is serious (I personally know someone who had a loose sump plug after a service and another guy who had the rear caliper fall of his GS a mile up the road from a dealer after a service - both are pretty serious and could of killed them)

When I look at people in my profession their are a lot of shit ones, I earn my living clearing up the fuckups of others, I hear similar stories from mates in other professions.

Finding a good bike workshop is fraught with challenges, firstly finding one with competent technicians, but they also needs to give a toss and treat every bike as if it is someones pride and joy. With many dealerships there may be commercial pressures to do more, or bonuses that reward sloppy work (or skipping some work altogether, someone once marked an oil filter at my local BMW Dealership and caught them out, they cleaned it and charged for a new one!)

Many years ago a bloke I worked with had a Honda serviced at a Honda "Gold" dealer, he put nail varnish on the rocker cover bolts, their mechanic was so gentle he managed to check the tappets without even cracking said varnish ;-) I later worked at another Honda Dealer not so far away, one of our mechanics knew one of theirs, this was when the VFR750's had just come out, the other dealerships boss allegedly (by his own mechanic) refused to pay for the special tools to do the VFR Tappets and told the mechanics just charge an hours labour for "checking them"

I like workshops where you can see your bike being worked on, but must be horrible for the guys working their, with my face squashed up against the Window staring at them for hours on end :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It's human nature to make mistakes I guess, as is laziness. There are also shit dealers & independents out there who take short cuts whenever possible.
If I ever had to pay for a valve inspection I would want to witness it to be sure it actually happened.

Luckily can do all my own work.
I have very low faith in any dealer as I fear my bike being the one worked on when the mechanic had a bad cold, or a hangover, or is being divorced... or just hates his job.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Where did all the members go that posted on this thread? The Forum could do with some of them at the minute

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
KTM sanitised their bikes, so you've got sanitised owners......

To address this imbalance....you're all Coontos - especially Fozzy.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My vote would go to Tri-County, in fact they are no long a KTM dealer but they still claim to know 'all things KTM'. I had a full engine rebuild done by them (2013 300 exc), the bottom end had never been apart before they got hold of it, they fucked up the crankcase gasket faces so much so that 2T oil would dribble out of the central joint, It also drank all its own gearbox oil, that's how I worked out that they had done something wrong. My advice is don't trust them with anything, they have a 'special' type of customer service so I did not go back to them to complain because I like my kneecaps where they currently are, I sorted out the mess myself but I will post up the pictures below whenever a thread like this gets started on this forum.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts